It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intriguing 'Structure' on Asteroid Bennu

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Thanks for posting Mr Oberg. Here is a link for everyone for explaining the TAGSAM system that will collect samples to be sent on 2020 from Bennu for return to earth in 2023. I also thought asteroid Eros was very interesting. I think data from all the Astroids NASA explores will be some of the most beneficial explorations in space; and reveal some unknowns as that data is acquired and analysed. Thanks for the heads up on Bennu.

www.irishtimes.com...
edit on 5-12-2018 by lunarcartographer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

A quite surprising post, especially for someone who usually debunks anomalies such as these... much appreciated, Jim.

Everything points to it being a rock, but I'm intrigued nonetheless since it does stand out, especially when viewed from above. The good thing is that we'll be getting images so pristine and up close that we'll soon know for sure: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Here it is rotated 180 degrees for a better perspective.

That object(s) doesn't look like a natural formation. It is probably an optical illusion...It looks like a sheet of material covering.

It ids a whiskey flask/bottle or that resembling captain morgan ...and we wondered why all the rum was gone! Cuz it landed on an asteroid damnit

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: snrRog
Here is a link to the 'video'

www.nasa.gov...

That thing really sticks out!

SnrRog

Thanks for the link to that vid- I think it puts the OP's screen grab in some much needed context. It looks to me like a separate, much smaller asteroid that "landed" on Bennu.

In space, large asteroids pick up smaller bodies via gravity like a latex balloon attracts small pieces of lint via static attraction... They just sort of stick on.
edit on 5-12-2018 by CaliMayh3m because: added color

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It looks like a hangar for flying saucers.
I can't prove I'm right. But you cannot prove I am wrong.
Whatever it is, it looks nothing like rock, despite the desperate wish here for it to be so.
It's the opposite of pareidolia. Instead of seeing what your mind wants to see, you refuse to see what your mind does not want to accept.
edit on 5-12-2018 by micpsi because: Improved argument.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Come on guys a rock is a rock.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Post Of The Day!

I laughed my rocks off.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: str8shootin

That's my summer cabin.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaliMayh3m

originally posted by: snrRog
Here is a link to the 'video'

www.nasa.gov...

That thing really sticks out!

SnrRog

Thanks for the link to that vid- I think it puts the OP's screen grab in some much needed context. It looks to me like a separate, much smaller asteroid that "landed" on Bennu.

In space, large asteroids pick up smaller bodies via gravity like a latex balloon attracts small pieces of lint via static attraction... They just sort of stick on.

I’m no Astro physicist but a approximately 40 foot tall object seems a little big to be held by gravity of a roughly 500meter in diameter asteroid, especially taking into account centripetal force brought on by its spin. Seems to me it would have to be held in place by something more than the minuscule gravity on an object of its size, perhaps it is partially embedded into the surface of the asteroid which keeps it from from flying of the asteroid. Someone smarter than me can let me know if I’m wrong. Mr. Oberg do you think gravity alone could keep the object in place?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

..... Mr. Oberg do you think gravity alone could keep the object in place?

The two most recent very small bodies visited by the Japanese probe and now ours seem to have 'midriff bulge' that is probably debris that has migrated towards the spin equator via centrifugal force. So the force keeping them in place must be very weak.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

..... Mr. Oberg do you think gravity alone could keep the object in place?

The two most recent very small bodies visited by the Japanese probe and now ours seem to have 'midriff bulge' that is probably debris that has migrated towards the spin equator via centrifugal force. So the force keeping them in place must be very weak.

Gah blast my dyslexia I always get centrifugal and centripetal mixed up, I did a little looking and the rotational velocity is much lower than I thought, from what I can see the rotational rate is 1 revoluton for every 4.3 hours so I don’t imagine that the centrifugal force wouldn’t be very high at all. Thanks for the response.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Come on guys a rock is a rock.

An asteroid pimple, lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My best educated guess.

The Electric Universe Theory explains this.

Here's a video from Thrunderbolts project. They are able to reproduce this in a lab.

a lot of asteroids and comets have the "double lobe" "peanut shape"

Scientists crated electrical discharges on hematite and reproduce similar shapes in a lab.

This particular comet looks like the smaller lobe didn't form as big or may have broke or eroded off somehow.

11:50 he explains the lab experiments.

edit on 5-12-2018 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2018 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah, there's Chevys; They're like a rock.

Also you got the IROCs. Which also just so happen to Chevys.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RealityIsAbsurd
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah, there's Chevys; They're like a rock.

Also you got the IROCs. Which also just so happen to Chevys.
the old irocz, heck yeah

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: snrRog

That video helps a lot actually.
I was seeing it as a depression in Jim's pic, rather than the protruding structure it is.
Thanks for bringing that into perspective.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Yeah, but who put it there?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Looks like a flattened metal cup to me.. BTW, your avatar gave me a bit of a start this morning..
Totally creepy..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join