It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unseen consequence of the #MeToo movement....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
@ Lumenari

the world needs more women like you. Thankyou,

I work in legal and the ladies I work with are amazing, they join in the banter, they have a laugh with us. Its great..

i feel sorry for the ladies who take everything personally and take offense... get along, live and let live.. everyones struggling together

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: Lumenari

Real people working real jobs like you generally don't succumb to all the PC nonsense and that is a great thing. At a real job (like yours sounds like) you can still joke around and have fun without having to worry about offending some snowflake's delicate sensitivities

And I bet if someone were to attempt any sort of actual crime (including sexual assault), I have no doubt that at least a dozen people there are likely to be armed at any given moment.

Meanwhile, you all can continue horsing around, grab assing and any number of antics many hyper-PC places of employment would snowflake-gasp at

It depends how long it takes Congress to go on a crusade against your industry. When I first went in the Air Force in 2004, there was a lot of horsing around and crude jokes. It's much different now because Congress got a bug up their ass that we needed to bend over backwards to accommodate any hypersensitive asshole that wanted to skate through 4 years so they could get free college.

ETA: To clarify, some of that stuff does still happen, it's just in much smaller circles now and there's a lot of looking over your shoulder. Gotta make sure certain people aren't around.
edit on 4 12 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
@ Lumenari

I work in legal and the ladies I work with are amazing, they join in the banter, they have a laugh with us. Its great..

i feel sorry for the ladies who take everything personally and take offense... get along, live and let live.. everyones struggling together

I really don't think it's just a woman thing... it is a victim mentality.

We had a Hispanic employee once that was hyper sensitive about race and the job place and how he was being treated differently.

By his Cherokee boss and his Latino foreman.

He was fired and tried to sue for discrimination.

We just told the lawyer that we fired him because he sucked and prove discrimination.

It was dropped.

I do pity white employers now, to be sort of on topic.

They are just screwed because it is perfectly fine to discriminate against white people.

That honestly needs fixed.

edit on 4-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
This has been a problem. Even earlier this week I was asked by a female to go to lunch - no biggy. I immediately asked another male to go along. As a potential witness? That is a very recent thing for me. Say 2 years ago I would have never even thought about it.

And they called Mike Pence a paranoid, bible-thumpin' nutjob for expressing the same thing. Sounds to me like he was ahead of the curve.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
At work, the language and topics on break used by the women have been making me uncomfortable. Their swearing and sexual innuendos are intimidating and degrading. The things they talk about and the photos they show on their smart phones are disturbing.

They haven't tried anything physical yet, but I can feel their eyes on me, like leering perverts. I should get them all fired for sexual harassment.
edit on 5-12-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
@ Lumenari

I really don't think it's just a woman thing... it is a victim mentality.

This is exactly what it is. Some of these people just want to be victims so bad because it gives them an excuse for everything. It's related to the whole lack of personal responsibility thing.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

It only takes ONE though, to ruin someone. Even if everyone else is relaxed and happy. That's exactly how it was in my example case. Just took the ONE.

It's funny. I think back years ago, when I had an older, female boss, who liked to smack male employees in the ass to get 'em going on something. None of us thought anything about it, except maybe envy if we didn't (not because of her looks, or anything sexual, etc., but because we all saw the slap as a good thing, because it meant she considered you one of her go to people, who got things done, etc.). I look back at it now, and can't even imagine that these days. We've really lost something.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Whenever I have someone of the female persuasion enter my office, I automatically keep the door open now.

It's the way of the world now.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That honestly needs fixed.

Won't be though.

It's like dads in TV commercials. The last group you can safely make fun of, because they are used to self-sacrifice and taking the hit for others.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Whenever I have someone of the female persuasion enter my office, I automatically keep the door open now.

It's the way of the world now.

Right, and not saying these things are wrong.

Just saying that there is an unintended consequence of all of this though. That is, that due to this movement, and this toxic environment, women have unwittingly now put MORE obstacles in their path for advancement in the workplace. Obstacles that their male counterparts simply won't have. This movement has now directly limited options for women, options that are still there for their male competition.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

And it's not just this that has been ruined. In many states, it's tough to be a gentleman because - for example - the women have been geared to think that when a man holds the door for them, it's because the man thinks the woman is incapable of opening the door herself. Who could have ever thought that kindness would be offensive. Only in this current society.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I'm a female and I totally agree with what the OP. Not only do you have to deal with woman that might want to exploit this situation, which would be easy to do you are going to have to deal with the younger females that are being indoctrinated into this belief system, with it's microagressions and such. They will come to scrutinize every action and inaction for signs of some kind of discrimination.

Soon we will be seeing television commercials from law firms asking women if they have been discriminated against in any way to call for a no cost consultation...there is always a corruption of anything that might have been beneficial and this one will go big.

Most of the women involved in the Weinstein saga knew what they were getting into. I watched a video of the guy in action and there is no doubt he was abusing his power and it was gross, but most of those women tolerated him when they didn't have to because they wanted something from him, and that is not rape. To come back an whine about it after the fact is pathetic. I'm not saying that every single on is in that boat but most are.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In a court of law, you need to PROVE the harassment, etc.

However, in the workplace, the mere accusation itself can be grounds for removal. To me, THIS is what needs to stop. These types of complaints should be kept confidential and INVESTIGATED prior to any action by an employer. There also needs to be some legislation to protect all parties involved.

With that in place, these obstacles may be removed, but in the current environment, employers are going to take steps to protect themselves. Its just that simple. And those steps may severely limit women's chances for advancement in those workplaces.

I'm thankful to have never had to deal with this myself, but I'm sure looking back, we can all think of moments how our joking comments, friendly hugs, etc. could have all been taken way out of context, if one so desired to do so. It really makes you stop and think about it these days.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

This has been a problem. Even earlier this week I was asked by a female to go to lunch - no biggy.

This came up because a vendor contact (female) asked to meet me for coffee (they are a new vendor to the company I work for, and she wants to review time approval processes). At first, I didn't think anything of it (I'm a happily married man of 14 years, with grown kids), but then decided it was likely best to just do so in the company cafeteria (which has it's own coffee shop anyhow...) A couple of years ago, wouldn't have even thought twice about it.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

It's a sad consequence of an otherwise sincere movement

It was never a sincere movement.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I'm so happy as a woman that I work in the oilfield when I read crap like this.

My workplace is the polar opposite of PC and we have a blast.

Hope the infection doesn't spread to out here...

~shudder~

Y'all could always take the jokes and give what y'all were given, at least from my experience with the ladies in the oilfield when I worked in it from 2000 - 2008.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

This doesn't surprise me at all. As a high school softball coach I have to be hyper-vigilant regarding everything I say and do. Even so, it is so easy for a young woman to take something wrong or decide that I was doing something she didn't like. I am surviving the new reality, but I have evaluated if I want to continue in this landmine of an environment.

I love coaching, but I don't have the luxury of being as nice or as friendly as the female coaches. Anything I do is analyzed far too closely. A lot of women have a tendency to overthink things and assume I am saying something I didn't mean.

As I always tell my wife...if something can be taken two ways and one of them pisses you off...I meant the other one.

I was gonna ask you if there were any wild things there, but then I read that you're married.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

It was never a sincere movement.

Well, wishful thinking.

(post by soundguy removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know my husband prefers to work from home. When he has to go into the office, he will not get on an elevator alone with a woman and if a woman steps in from another floor...he steps out and pretends he has to make a call.

In hallways, he will move completely to the other side to avoid any possible contact.

Arriving for a meeting early and a woman is only other occupant...yep, he steps out to make that phone call again!

My husband is not alone in his paranoia...many of his male co workers are doing the same. More and more are working from home and amazingly, they are actually getting more work completed by doing so! Naturally, their employer appreciates that fact. Seems obvious that one can get more done when they are not having to watch over their shoulder!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join