It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unseen consequence of the #MeToo movement....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Interesting article...

www.bloomberg.com...

Basically, in an environment where a baseless accusation can ruin one's career, we're now seeing some unforeseen consequences. Don't get me wrong, actual scumbags need to be brought to justice, but that still isn't going to change the way some folks are protecting themselves.....

Example:

In fact, as a wealth adviser put it, just hiring a woman these days is “an unknown risk.” What if she took something he said the wrong way?

Across Wall Street, men are adopting controversial strategies for the #MeToo era and, in the process, making life even harder for women.

The article has an interesting conclusion. Just don't be a jerk. All well and good, but that won't protect you from an opportunist looking to take you down, to elevate herself. Mostly, I've simply seen this happen. Not to me, but to a co-worker years ago. I was present for the incident (he complimented her dress in a perfectly gentleman like fashion), that she then blew completely out of context, and then got him fired (all so she could move into her spot). She was rather unremorseful about it too, and made it very clear she wasn't afraid to use this weapon in the future.

It's a sad consequence of an otherwise sincere movement though, and one that will eventually hurt more women than it helps, if we don't temper this with some common sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Should of been the have cake and eat it too movement

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
yup

If I'm an employer and I hire a woman or a minority such as a black person they can never be fired or reprimanded. I've watched it happen IRL.

people get this crazy attitude (not everyone it's for a sure a small minority of protected class individuals) that they know they can't be fired and go around causing chaos until the employer has no choice

then guess what, to mitigate this risk less black people and women get hired

also, men won't form relationships with women over this nonsense I know i won't

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This has been a problem. Even earlier this week I was asked by a female to go to lunch - no biggy. I immediately asked another male to go along. As a potential witness? That is a very recent thing for me. Say 2 years ago I would have never even thought about it.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If you're in the same building with female coworkers you're at risk now. You don't have to know them, or do anything to be accused. They can destroy you, your career with allegations of sexual misconduct of any kind. Even if you're totally innocent the damage can be irreparable.

This has to change things in unfortunate ways.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

can't blame you, if your a white male you gotta watch your back and I know that sounds funny but... watch what you say do see and hear

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Interesting this is coming up. I had a coworker at my office, and we had a female intern working with him. I walked by his office (we have offices with windows), and he had the door shut and they were working on something at his workstation. I told my wife, "In this day and age, my door would NEVER be closed with just me and a female employee, especially a junior one." Guess I was right.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I'm so happy as a woman that I work in the oilfield when I read crap like this.

My workplace is the polar opposite of PC and we have a blast.

Hope the infection doesn't spread to out here...

~shudder~

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

This doesn't surprise me at all. As a high school softball coach I have to be hyper-vigilant regarding everything I say and do. Even so, it is so easy for a young woman to take something wrong or decide that I was doing something she didn't like. I am surviving the new reality, but I have evaluated if I want to continue in this landmine of an environment.

I love coaching, but I don't have the luxury of being as nice or as friendly as the female coaches. Anything I do is analyzed far too closely. A lot of women have a tendency to overthink things and assume I am saying something I didn't mean.

As I always tell my wife...if something can be taken two ways and one of them pisses you off...I meant the other one.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I am fortunate that my wife and daughter are the only two females that can even tolerate me as a person. I have blinders on to pretty much everybody else, male and female. I don't have co-workers or friends; I don't need or want any.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Supposed to be to lumenari
edit on 12/4/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Real people working real jobs like you generally don't succumb to all the PC nonsense and that is a great thing. At a real job (like yours sounds like) you can still joke around and have fun without having to worry about offending some snowflake's delicate sensitivities

And I bet if someone were to attempt any sort of actual crime (including sexual assault), I have no doubt that at least a dozen people there are likely to be armed at any given moment.

Meanwhile, you all can continue horsing around, grab assing and any number of antics many hyper-PC places of employment would snowflake-gasp at

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yup- white male speaking.

If I was in a position to hire/fire people, I'd avoid hiring anyone who wasn't also a white male.

Sounds awful, right?

But in my field, in the place I live, there's very few non white eligible employees- and even fewer women. They're guaranteed jobs and promotions- any huge corporation is required by their HR department to employ X percentage of non white employees, and women. If your huge corporation is in a niche market which requires a lot of technical expertise and schooling in a specific topic, and you don't live in a huge city...
well, to be frank, you wind up with one employee who is not only untouchable but also way overpaid. All they have to do is be an uncommon sex or race in that region, and suddenly they not only can't be fired or disciplined, but if they ever apply for a job they'll get that job- every time, over any other applicants. No matter what.
I've lost out on two different jobs to the same guy, now- after working with him for three years. He's less experienced, less educated, and less talented... but paid far better, because he always has the option of getting a new job with a 10% pay raise.

Can't imagine having a vagina, which apparently grants you unlimited legal capacity- could practically rule the industry.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The selective application of the presumption of innocence violates the 14th Amendment's "equal protection" clause (as do several other modern legal abominations like hate crime legislation and affirmative action, but we'll leave those violations for another discussion). The entire premise of "innocent until proven guilty" exists in American law because of the equal protection clause... either we move to a system like most myopic fascist dictatorships and, strangely, Japan, have in which the accused must prove their innocence right from the start in all charges, or we return to the days in which ANYONE accused of ANY crime is presumed innocent and the accuser or their representative (the state) must prove the accused's guilt.

In absence of a threat to public safety (which none of the #MeToo cases have involved in any way, especially the litany of the cases that haven't even involved criminal charges and have only been civil matters), nobody should be negatively impacted by being accused of something until it has been proven in court that they did the deed, period. And yes, that includes athletes being punished by a kangaroo court like Roger Goodell runs in the NFL where simply being accused of something is enough for him to suspend or poison pill a player.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: Lumenari

Real people working real jobs like you generally don't succumb to all the PC nonsense and that is a great thing. At a real job (like yours sounds like) you can still joke around and have fun without having to worry about offending some snowflake's delicate sensitivities

And I bet if someone were to attempt any sort of actual crime (including sexual assault), I have no doubt that at least a dozen people there are likely to be armed at any given moment.

Meanwhile, you all can continue horsing around, grab assing and any number of antics many hyper-PC places of employment would snowflake-gasp at

That pretty much sums up the oil field... rough around the edges and a blast to be in.

I was in a roustabout bar once with the crew and an old guy came up to me, grabbed me by the girls and went in for a kiss.

I was kinda shocked, head butted him and was trying to get to a finger or two of his to bend the wrong way when he just... went away.

The crew picked him up and tried to open the door with him. It didn't swing that way, but they tried a few times anyways.

They threw him out on the sidewalk... the bartender bought everyone a round and we kept going.

I was told later that someone peed on him while he laid there.

So no... it's really cold here in the winter and there are snowflakes...

Just not THOSE snowflakes.

If that happened somewhere else in America there would be a news crew and a few lawsuits.

Here, it was just another Wednesday night.

edit on 4-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Not exactly unforeseen. But don't worry, with the continued advancement in science and A.I. it won't be long before we won't need real women anymore and we can go about systematically eradicating them if need be. Shouldn't be too hard. Just need to keep women out of STEM before we get to that point.

I'm, of course, kidding...but the harsh reality may not be if this ridiculous course is not corrected. You just never know how low human society can degrade. We're entering uncharted territory.

We sorely need a re-enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ughhhh

Vomit

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Men have every right to be wary of women today, much like women claim the right to be wary of men.

Playing field is even now, ladies. I didn't ask you to sow this BS on my behalf, but you did. Reap it & deal with the distrust fallout. It's well-earned.
edit on 12/4/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Men have every right to be wary of women today, much like women claim the right to be wary of men.

Playing field is even now, ladies. I didn't ask you to sow this BS on my behalf, but you did. Reap it & deal with the distrust fallout. It's well-earned.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join