It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slingshots.....Pocket Shot

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen
Well if your going recurve or making your own bows, I think overall you have more options in the small game department as well as the big game. I can hit a squirrel no problem, but I dont think it would even be worth the shot, or if its on a tree which most squirrels are, you pinning the thing to the tree, and you would have to climp up there to grab both, or any number of such annoying things with smaller game.

This is my second bow, before it, I had a Bear Cruzer, which is a pretty dam good bow as well, it was smaller and lighter, but just as deadly, and while it did not have the snap my current bow has, it was pretty dam good either way. The thing about that, is you could adjust it anywere from 20 or so pounds to 70 pounds. My current bow goes from 70 pounds to 80 pounds. I think bows designed with those two parameters in mind, no matter what it is,70 to 80 or 40 to 50 have more of a snap to them.

I literally tried it and played with it in all poundage's. And you soon realize that its pointless to do so, consistency is key as they say.

But that older bow, was no toy thats for sure. I snapped the string while adjusting a peep sight on it, then I tied it up, but even without a peep sight. If your used to shooting it, all you have to remember is to pull everything back in the same exact manner as before, and you can shoot pretty dam accurately even without a peep. Or if you want just put a crink or something at the string were the peep used to be, and with some practice it would function exactley the same though not as clear since no peep, you would just have to alight the string to your sight.

I still keep it around, but one of these days probably gona get some new string for it, and give it away as a present or something.

And ya, I cant see myself sitting in a tree for any manner of time. I cant stand still for a minute as it is anyways. But anyways, dont really have time to get into hunting, and not while its so much more convenient to go to the grocery store, instead of trekking for probably days, and skinning and gutting, and the fun task of carrying a hundred and something pounds on your back as you head back who knows how many miles.

And well no time for any of that as it is.

So ya, I just shoot my compound bow for fun, and because once you get into it, its a good way to just block out thought and focus on the target, its pretty calming in a way. But if I had to, I am pretty confident I can hit anything the size of a basketball from 100 yards away each and every time, and know that whatever it is I aim at, is going to be dead.

While the recurve and traditional bows are more versatile and more I would say of a survivalist weapon as you can just make it and make arrows for it no machining reacquired. Its hard to say no to the power and kinetic energy a compound bow can generate. At general shooting ranges, hunting or whatever it is, which are anywere from 20 to 100 yards. Though I have not shot a gun in a long while, I would say a compound bow is way more accurate at those ranges, then even a gun. And after all even with field-points it can penetrate body Armour, and well with some of the more fancy arrowheads it can shatter straight through bone as well at those ranges, which a bullet unless your using some big ol guns, cant do.

Its a pretty dam efficient and deadly weapon. And I still have most of my arrows which i got years and years ago, and I must have shot it thousands and thousands of times by now. The only time I lose arrows is when i try some wacky new shooting like through trees and foliage at targets, or just the lazy twitch finger days.

<< 1   >>

join