It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon and Walmart Tracking My Store Purchase Through Bank Account Debit Card Purchase!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So, something has happened that has finally made me scream WTH!!!!! What you are about to read really happened to me today! I am so upset, I feel so violated, and the reality that I have aboslutely NO PRIVACY finally hit me!!!

I went to Walmart and bought TWO ITEMS!!! TWO very specific items with my Credit Union Debit Card.

I come home and log into AMAZON and while I am searching odds and ends for Christmas ideas, I, all of a sudden GET TWO ADS!!! TWO!!!

The ADS WERE FOR THE EXACT ITEMS I JUST BOUGHT WHILE INSIDE A PHYSICAL WALMART STORE!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!! IM SO UPSET!!!!
Now, the debit card I have on file with Amazon, is the same card I used at the Walmart store!!!! WHO can I complain to or write to about this? I'm serious!!

I dont even know what to think right now, as my mind it totally blown!!! I found an article that spoke about Walmart and the cloud company it is using called OneOps. Im not sure if that has anything to do with it but from the article it states:

Walmart isn't getting into the cloud computing business to compete with its retail rival. But it has open sourced OneOps, a cloud management tool the company uses internally to run the infrastructure that underpins its e-commerce sites. Now any company will be able to use Walmart's software to create, manage, and migrate applications across multiple cloud computing infrastructures, including Amazon, Microsoft's Azure, and Rackspace."
"https://www.wired.com/2016/01/walmart-doesnt-want-you-to-get-locked-into-amazons-cloud/

ANYONE? Is this what its about? Is it AI? WTHeck?

Seriously.......I just can't even right now, Im shaking I am so upset!!!

EDIT: I DID NOT have my phone with me and no I did NOT look any of those items up online at any time!!!

edit on 4-12-2018 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There are other ways this could have happened beyond sharing your actual purchase history.

Did you, at any point, look at those items online in any way (research, pricing, etc.)?

Did you have your phone on you when you made the purchases, or even talked about what you purchased? Some, myself included, suspect our phones are always listening and using that to cater advertising.
edit on 4-12-2018 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

NO to both of your questions. I DID NOT look at them online and I left my phone in my car!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This has been in the works for YEARS

Back in the caveman days I worked in telecom, the goal was to have you walk in a store and your phone/device would know
what store you were in what you were looking at and then an ad would pop up with a coupon.

Seriously, we talked about this a good 15 years ago

I am amazed it took this long. My guess they have already been looking at the data but are slowly slowly rolling it out.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I’d be interested to know if the advertised products were cheaper on Amazon.. If that’s the case and it’s happening everywhere, It could be evidence of a kind of retail war where Amazon is trying to prove the point that it’s cheaper and more convenient to shop there online as opposed to physically go to Walmart.. Seems a bit stupid to advertise products to you after the fact, especially if the same products happened to be more expensive..

Edit to add..

Not sure how they’re getting your info, and it does seem like an inevitable outcome in the future of the retail world.. I’m going to make a from the hip forecast here and say that once the process is dialed in and they’re able to track and monitor all your transactions across the board, the next step will be to completely stop accepting cash at most if not all big stores..
edit on 4-12-2018 by Quauhtli because: ..

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

No I did not have my phone! I went home then logged onto my computer to Amazon! NOT RELATED AT ALL. The only common thing was my debit card number!! That's why I am soooooo upset!!!
edit on 4-12-2018 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Starwise

This stuff is based on algorithms. Yes, it's AI that was designed and set up by humans to further invade human privacy for profits.

But when you follow up and complain to other humans at Amazon and Walmart I'm sure they'll say it's coincidental.

If I were you, I'd follow up with screen caps of the ads online and photos of your reciept to document it. Make some noise about it.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Sadly, I'm pretty sure that it is in the TOS agreement that they can share your info

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
This has been in the works for YEARS

Back in the caveman days I worked in telecom, the goal was to have you walk in a store and your phone/device would know
what store you were in what you were looking at and then an ad would pop up with a coupon.

Seriously, we talked about this a good 15 years ago

I am amazed it took this long. My guess they have already been looking at the data but are slowly slowly rolling it out.

Yeah, this is old news.

I'm still surprised people didn't realize their shopping data is being mined.

The big data genie is out of the box. Only way to avoid it is to pay cash and get rid of cell phone.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Starwise

Here's my thought: If they had access to exact purchases, why create that system only to market items that people already purchased?

Depends on the items in question too..

But, I'm not sure leaving your phone in the car during the purchase would have made much difference. If you had even mentioned to someone you were heading out to get "X," or that youd be getting those items in the next couple days, then that's all it would take!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starwise

No I did not have my phone! I went home then logged onto my computer to Amazon! NOT RELATED AT ALL. The only common thing was my debit card number!! That's why I am soooooo upset!!!

Remember when buying a cucumber and Ky Jelly you have to leave your phone at home, get cash, ask a teen to checkout for you and then run zig zag to your car and take an alternate route home. When at home you have to make sure your phone is off with the microphone muzzled, disable wifi, cover all your cameras with tape, and then you'll be good to go.

Just teasing you, but seriously, they are watching always watching. Our info is connected everywhere.
edit on 4-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starwise
ANYONE? Is this what its about? Is it AI? WTHeck?

Speak with your bank, unless your credit/debit info was indicated as not to be shared when you signed up for this instrument your bank will sell it.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well OP, you could take the items back to Walmart for a refund and when they ask why, tell them. Pretty sure you can go online and complete a survey about your experience as well. We get a survey code about every third receipt from Walmart, but code not required to file complaint.

Or you can change banks? I’ve been using both Walmart and Amazon for years and never had this happen, or at least never noticed. I would think the connecting piece would have to be software either at credit union or Walmart sending data to Amazon. Since Walmart is in direct competition with Amazon, not sure Walmart would do it. If your card is on file at Amazon, I’d lean toward credit union, as they did not encrypt your transaction. Then again, could be wrong as I’m not a coder.

1984...getting closer everyday...
edit on 4/12/2018 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well its official, I am going back to using CASH ONLY and leaving my phone HOME!!!
I know for a fact that I had not spoke about even wanting to purchase these items with anyone! Im just twisting my brain trying to figure it out....

But yes, why would they show me something I already purchased? Maybe if it was cheaper on Amazon like a poster stated, I may want to return item to Wally world and then use AMazon since they are rivals....but no, I am not into all that to save a dollar....lol

I understand how FB and ATS etc use algorithms and stuff....it annoys the heck out of me just coming here now, as I am seeing ads from a website I was just at.....

I hate this. I hate transhumanism crap, I hate this violating technology, I hate all the 3 letter agencies storing my info....

I HATES IT PRECIOUS!!!!! Lolol!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yeah I bet you agreed to this by signing a TOS policy somewhere along the line.

It's just personalized advertising, it's harmless currently.

Wait till the storm troopers get ahold of all the technology, it will be very harmful then.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Thank you, you have given me some things to look into doing!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You are correct in that you are being tracked. Probably from an earlier on line search. The marketing firms can even locate the search track to a small area. Its called geofencing. How many people in your area are looking for a particular item.

Personally I pay in cash for anything that may reflect poorly on me. Restaurant food (diet), Drinks (alcohol consumption), over the counter medication or health products, groceries, and of course, guns or ammo. There is a tremendous amount of data out there. A powerful AI program will mine it for them, so that next time they can market directly to you at the best price. Or sell that info to your insurance company. Example: Mr. X orders french fries 4 times a week with lunch, red meat with ever meal, and too many drinks, he is at a high risk of heart attack. It's time to raise his heath insurance premiums.

Or do I see conspiracies every where?

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The only thing I find odd is that you used a credit union debit card.

A bank wouldn't surprise me at all but it does with a credit union.

Mine services in house so it would have to go through Visa in you case..

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Lolol!!!

My PC camera is taped

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

he is at a high risk of heart attack. It's time to raise his heath insurance premiums.

Oh, it gets better, and scarier. They are starting to look at what people are searching on the internet regarding health.

www.creditcards.com...

4. They know about your health worries. Data brokers may also collect information about your other "health interests," according to information disclosed to Congress. As a result, marketers may be able to infer whether you have arthritis or diabetes, are approaching old age or are trying to cure an ailment through homeopathic remedies or other over-the-counter drugs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join