It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UC Berkeley must allow conservatives to speak on campus

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tabularosa
I'm all for free speech. But there is a fine line between expressing ideas and opinions and inciting violence. Few care for that, particularly when it is their life or property at risk.

Are you incited to violence? The reason I ask is that we each control our own motor cortex. If one is unable to refrain from doing violence upon hearing certain words, maybe it isn't the words that are the problem.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Nothing wrong with protests - they are healthy.
Violence is another matter - any liberal throwing a hissy fit and lashing out because they can't get their way should be arrested, jailed and expelled from university.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Why can't you understand this? Or, why can't you let it go?

Because you have consistently, every time you were asked a direct question, refused to explain yourself. Instead, you contradict yourself and insinuate that you would consider violence against a speaker acceptable in some as-yet-undefined case. Even your words in this post are contradictory:

Not to prevent free speech - that isn't worth it
which is completely against what is being discussed here. No one is saying that violence cannot be met with violence. We are saying that speech should never be confronted with violence. But you keep saying that's only OK to a point... where is that point?

If you refuse to answer, it simply reinforces the belief that you do not consider free speech as a right, but as a privilege that can be taken away by force morally... just not yet.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

This has nothing to do with speakers or speech (as I've said several times)

I'm a pacifist. Violence is never acceptable - and yet. If society breaks down and we begin to do the unthinkable - and commit heinous crimes against the other (whoever that other might be) what recourse is left us?

That is the same thing I have been saying. If confronted with violence, violence in the spirit of self-protection is completely moral and acceptable to me. Ghandi was a great man, but his pacifist nature led him astray in the example quoted.

If you are talking about confronting actions with actions, all you needed to do was say so. The context of the questions put to you were always in the spirit of confronting speech with actions... something I repeat is never morally acceptable. So of course your comments were put in that category, as you never clearly stated otherwise.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Read through your own posts Redneck

You have a lot to learn about how to argue

I think we're done here

:-)

Toodles

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Whatever your mirror tells you. I extended my olive branch.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
wow. good thread.

it appears free speech is ok, until it's not........then it can be shouted down, obstructed, and even rioted over

ladies and gents of ATS. it is getting scary out there. when we as Americans can not agree on something as simple as free speech and expression, we have major problems.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

March 2, 2019

President Trump announced today that he's signing an Executive Order directed at all U.S. colleges and universities.

"Allow free speech on your college campus, or lose Federal research dollars".

Source: twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It is not surprising, how many on the left hate free expression.

Not shocked at all.

ooooooo!!!!... you found out about us!!!!.....we all hate free speech 100%!!!!.....jesus, grow up, and maybe tap the brakes on the "crazy", ATS already has plenty.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It is not surprising, how many on the left hate free expression.

Not shocked at all.

ooooooo!!!!... you found out about us!!!!.....we all hate free speech 100%!!!!.....jesus, grow up, and maybe tap the brakes on the "crazy", ATS already has plenty.

Ummm, don't really see you defending "others" expressing their right to free expression, so Baby Stalin?

My point stands.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

March 2, 2019

President Trump announced today that he's signing an Executive Order directed at all U.S. colleges and universities.

It is things like this that make me happy I voted for him. Now if we could get actual thinking human beings in congress we could return to being a functional republic instead of this bizarro corporate stooge democracy that it seems we are.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

March 2, 2019

Awesome. If they want to be a Stalinist safe-space that tries to muzzle voices they don't like, then maybe we can't stop them but at least we shouldn't have to pay them.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

you're right, just look at how president Putin indoctrinated republicans....

Evidence please.
edit on 4 3 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

March 2, 2019

BOOM. If THAT isn't the job of the president I don't know what is. Protecting the rights of Americans.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Definitely! Everything President Trump does is for the benefit of Americans and America.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Definitely! Everything President Trump does is for the benefit of Americans and America.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join