It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UC Berkeley must allow conservatives to speak on campus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
So Berkeley of 1960's radical fame - and I am SO sick and tired of 1960's things - was made famous again for blocking conservative speakers time and again from speaking on their campus. They would use the deranged "safe space" argument that conservative speech was harmful to students. Actually they used any garbage argument they could to keep their students from hearing any idea just north of Saul Alinsky or Karl Marx.

Well they have been slapped down. And it is about time. I don't care even if I wasn't "right wing" I think smothering any idea on a university campus is a very bad idea and goes against the entire idea of higher education.

www.americanthinker.com...

Following more than a year of hard-fought litigation in the hostile Ninth Circuit, Young America’s Foundation secured victory for free speech against the University of California, Berkeley. Through YAF’s lawsuit and subsequent settlement agreementexecuted over the weekend, UC Berkeley agreed to the following terms set by Young America’s Foundation: 1) Pay Young America’s Foundation $70,000. 2) Rescind the unconstitutional “high-profile speaker policy.” 3) Rescind the viewpoint-discriminatory security fee policy. Read more: www.americanthinker.com... 5YjKZrKaX Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

4) Abolish its heckler’s veto—protestors will no longer be able to shut down conservative expression. This landmark victory for free expression means UC Berkeley can no longer wantonly treat conservative students as second-class members of its community while ignoring the guaranteed protections of the First Amendment. No longer can UC Berkeley place a 3:00 p.m. curfew on conservative speech. No longer can UC Berkeley ban advertisements for Young America’s Foundation-sponsored campus lectures. And no longer can UC Berkeley relegate conservative speakers to remote or inconvenient lecture halls on campus while giving leftist speakers access to preferred locations. Further, the policy that allowed Berkeley administrators to charge conservative students $20,000 for security to host Ben Shapiro—an amount three times greater than the fee charged to leftist students to host liberal Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor—is gone. YAF and UC Berkeley agreed to a fee schedule that treats all students equally. Unless students are handling money or serving alcohol at an event, the security fee will be zero. Read more: www.americanthinker.com... 5YjKjeSML Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Cue the Liberal whining about hate speech Right Wing Fascist homophobic White Male something something something...

For folks who worry so much about Fascists, they sure do their best to limit Free Speech ...and any other Rights they think you shouldn't have.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Everyone should have the right to speak anywhere and make total fools of themselves...It's the American way!!

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

O predict the response to this will be more riots against conservative speakers in Berkley.

Then the school will say that conservatives cause this violence, and they cant afford security, so this ruling means they must silence all speakers from campus.

Then the media will run with the narrative that right wingers are encouraging censorship because Berkley can no longer have speakers.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

It is not surprising, how many on the left hate free expression.

Not shocked at all.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Good for YAF, Cali needs an eye opener to reality and if we have to take them to court and chip away at their BS, so be it.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Conservatives block the overzealous underthought practices of the liberals. You need to examine history and think of the repercussions of actions before doing things. Too much conservative is not good, too much liberal is not good. I am all for risk assessment and lately risk is being ignored. I see people doing stupid stuff a lot more now and not learning from the failures, making excuses to fit their beliefs.

The Liberals do not do enough risk assessment which is evident even in health. If you go running all the time, it may be somewhat good for your heart but hard on the knees and hips. On top of that, a piece of plaque could break off and go into your heart. This is an example of a liberal practice that attempts to show how not thinking something over completely can cause negative aspects.

We also need some liberal aspects to get ahead but you need to evaluate what the changes will do for everyone, not just one small group of people.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
No No No you cannot allow the opposite view point to have any time to share their ideas and platforms. It might influence the indoctrination going on there!!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

O predict the response to this will be more riots against conservative speakers in Berkley.

Then the school will say that conservatives cause this violence, and they cant afford security, so this ruling means they must silence all speakers from campus.

Then the media will run with the narrative that right wingers are encouraging censorship because Berkley can no longer have speakers.

It will not matter in the general picture. The law is the law. The problem will be whether or not the University will feel compelled to follow the law. As we have seen time and time again, left wing seem to get away with breaking laws they find "un fluid".
I think basically they will continue with their nonsense and get sued over and over again. At some point when it actually hurts the universities ability to operate, then the law will be followed - but followed with a grudge.

Anyway, it's good to see reason and actual fairness in speech win for once.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Good. Public institutions that take taxpayer dollars should have to abide by the concept of equality across the board.

Berkley is a cancer to common sense and fails in preparing its students for a world that has differing viewpoints where things that are said or written may hurt their ideological sensibilities. It's like a codling daycare for semi-adults, and it's good to see that they have to be forced to stop depriving equal rights to all.

And at the same time, it's sad that they have to be forced.

edit on 4-12-2018 by SlapMonkey because: "said" and "side" are two different wrods, apparently...who knew?!

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Excellent, and since liberals will disobey all of these findings, because low-info, the police will now be able to take swift and effective action to quash all leftist violence, individuals will be able to sue the university enmass and ol bikelock professor is about to get a beautiful dose of 'karma'.

Also, its clear that Ben Shapiro is FAR TOO INTELLIGENT for any leftists to debate, Bill Maher did a piss poor attempt at it, it was tragic to behold, but also awesome as Maher got pwned, big time.

It appears that leftists on campus are now going to hear words contrary to what their professors have insisted they believe.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

The Young America’s Foundation said it was pleased with the settlement, saying it eliminates the campus’ “heckler’s veto,” which allowed protesters to shut down events, and its “high-profile speaker policy.”

Interesting - and funny. So now, when there are protests, and the University soldiers on and allows the speaker to speak, I imagine everyone will be cool with that?

Maybe they will - I guess I don't know. I always get a kick out of folks like Coulter and Yiannopoulos. They get more press when they're pouting or having a hissy fit about something

I actually agree with you though. Let them speak. It's just better for everyone that way

edit on 12/4/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
So UC Berkeley has been told that fascism is no longer acceptable on their campus.

The outrage from the left will very entertaining.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It appears that leftists on campus are now going to hear words contrary to what their professors have insisted they believe.

Only if they attend. I assume that's not mandatory

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
No No No you cannot allow the opposite view point to have any time to share their ideas and platforms. It might influence the indoctrination going on there!!

you're right, just look at how president Putin indoctrinated republicans....

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Only if they attend. I assume that's not mandatory

That is the problem, there are people that do and your crowd (I assume on good evidence) will not let them do so peacefully. You could have not attended in the first place.

But nah, lets yell and scream and freak out instead - right?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: jjkenobi

you're right, just look at how president Putin indoctrinated republicans....

How did Putin indoctrinate Republicans? Can you start another thread to show us how that was accomplished? I would love to read it.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Oh, didn't you get the memo? Jimmy has all the evidence he needs to prove that Putin forced the popular vote win onto Hillary, then through unicorn magic, manipulated the electoral college to give Trump the win.

Its complex but I'll let Jimmy explain it - you got the floor jimmy, show everyone Putins memo he sent to all the conservatives in the US will ya?

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

That is the problem, there are people that do and your crowd...

I wonder if you could have said this - differently? :-)

You see - you are not that different in your approach from that crowd

If you're going to make an argument for free speech, then you have to allow for dissent and protest

Tough noogies and all that. You can't have it both ways

If the kids don't want Milo to speak - they might not be making the wisest of choices to protest, and they might not have the maturity to really understand what free speech is, or how important it is to a free society. But then again, they do have the right to peacefully express their disdain for certain speakers

It's complicated. Right?

:-)

edit on 12/4/2018 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You know what amazes me about these types of things, if you don't like them DON'T go!
Why do they have to try to block anyone from going?

If you don't like a boy wearing makeup, don't look at him. If you don't like Mike Pence doing a speech, don't listen to him.
Have people lost all control over themselves?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join