It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saving the Internet. Advanced coding to recreate the Internet Phenomenon which started in the past.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Yes, a balance. But for every site someone doesn't like, someone else will think it is the best since sliced bread.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

remember the $150 playstations everyone thought was so expensive?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: roadgravel

You are kidding right? Sparkle clock cursors and bling gifs on geocities and angelfire hosts? Those halcyon days are what you yearn for?

That's not what I said.

But then 15 JS files, 8 style sheets and connecting to 10 ad servers seems to be a bit much for a web page.

Im just messin with ya.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
WoW?

Lets take it back to Diablo and #ty spinning pentagram .gifs.

^_^

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
My beginnings go back to Compuserve, Bitnet, Gopher, WAIS....
Today you have every imaginable enhancement to these root social media technologies.
There is no need to "go back" to anything.
It's all here.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
yes yes, brink back snail mailing boxes of punch cards to communicate while you are at it

Web 1.0 is unfortunately dead, and covered by Web 2.0s bloated rotting corpse.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I get you OP and I think it's just the way most people see things as they look back at their past. Everything seemed much simpler and hey, it was!

Technology has moved forward at such a pace that it's hard to keep up with everything as we age. After talking to a few old family members they all fondly remember the simpler times in their past and tend to begrudge the 'new' world they have been seemingly shoved into.

Todays youth will look back on this day and age nostalgically one day and remember how much simpler it was for them.

edit on 4-12-2018 by TheLiquidEngineer because: spelling

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The rampant crime over the internet is something we all would hate to miss.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: roadgravel

You are kidding right? Sparkle clock cursors and bling gifs on geocities and angelfire hosts? Those halcyon days are what you yearn for?

That's not what I said.

But then 15 JS files, 8 style sheets and connecting to 10 ad servers seems to be a bit much for a web page.

Amen!

I remember the days of text only USENET back in 1994. No posting of text adverts was tolerated on any USENET board. You would end up having all your posts deleted and scrubbed from every forum. We didn't even have 24-bit images. My HDD's were about 20 Megabytes and 40 Megabytes. Some downloadable TIFF's would fill those entirely.

There were no JS style sheets, ad servers or any other digital bling that got between the information content of the text and the actual download. You could download headers first, then pick which articles to download.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I'd never go back to AOL. They left a bad taste for me. Every now and again, my internet connection wouldn't work. I'd have to call the premium rate helpline. The call was always the same, complete these steps, has that worked? No. Complete these other steps, then the previous steps, has that worked? No, Okay, complete more steps, then the previous steps, then the first set of steps, has that worked? YES. Thankyou for your call, any more problems please do call again. REGULAR AS EFFIN CLOCK WORK. I ended up taking notes so i could fix it without calling them again, absolutely coining it in with the premium rate number.

Although the AOL gave me an introduction to the internet, they definetly tried to keep you in their own little 'internet bubble'.

Just my immediate thoughts when you mention A.O.L.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mark42
I'd never go back to AOL. They left a bad taste for me. Every now and again, my internet connection wouldn't work. I'd have to call the premium rate helpline. The call was always the same, complete these steps, has that worked? No. Complete these other steps, then the previous steps, has that worked? No, Okay, complete more steps, then the previous steps, then the first set of steps, has that worked? YES. Thankyou for your call, any more problems please do call again. REGULAR AS EFFIN CLOCK WORK. I ended up taking notes so i could fix it without calling them again, absolutely coining it in with the premium rate number.

Although the AOL gave me an introduction to the internet, they definetly tried to keep you in their own little 'internet bubble'.

Just my immediate thoughts when you mention A.O.L.

Went through that stage - my parents retired abroad and didn't have DSL or cable. Stepfather seemed very chuffed with himself that he didn't need to spend $50 to go online, but just dialed up AOL when he wanted to. Except that the AOL modem pool was always busy and he would get kicked off after 15 minutes. Had to be dragged kicking and screaming into getting telephone line DSL after AOL gave up on modems. Only problem - if you are not online before 5pm and downloading data, you won't get a slot for the rest of the evening.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: neoarchetype

Surely we can.
We can create a new illusion in whatever form you please. The internet is an invention to control the masses.
A tool.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Your question is, how can we step outside the system of control? How can we build our own networks?

P2P DNS my friend. Right now, the internet is essentially centralized by DNS and ISPs. You can encrypt and tunnel your traffic, but they can still track where you're going and gather enough to decrypt. You connect to your ISP who connects to the DNS who tells you which IP to go to to get to the site's server, then back to the ISP, then you.

That changes with P2P DNS. This way we can connect to each other. DNS integrity (validating you're connecting to the right host) can be accomplished with a block chain.

Encryption will hold up until the advent of quantum computers that can solve prime factorization problems. If a P2P DNS system is in place, where we host and maintain sites ourselves, we will need to implement it quickly for it to be useful.

Also it can be difficult (or near impossible) for an individual alone to set up a server farm to handle the load of a site like twitter or FB. Basically, policy is all we can count on for now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join