It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saving the Internet. Advanced coding to recreate the Internet Phenomenon which started in the past.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How can Data Science, Machine Learning (Artificial Intelligence), and Encryption be used to salvage the past of the Internet? Can code accomplish this? If set up into a working framework, can it compete against current competitors like Twitter? Why has social and government politics destroyed the Internet as it was in the past (for example message boards, chat, P2P Sharing, etc.). An example (but not limited to) of the final product is like the Wayback Machine. Can you programmers envision a futuristic product like the AOL Software Browser that, by its spirit, can reach back and bring the old experience back without violating copyright and trademarks (even if a fair amount of hacking is involved). The method will be intense and the spotlight would be on for a possibility of Intellectual Property Civil Crimes) Can the above methods (mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph) crawl and recreate the 1990's experience?
edit on 3-12-2018 by neoarchetype because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
not sure what you mean by ruined the internet?

as far as I know routers and switches are still handling network traffic between end devices such as servers which host all of the data

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

No. For example. Yahoo Chat and IMDb boards dissipated. Creating an Internet world that mimics and the even downright theft of abandoned frameworks to recreate the Internet.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: neoarchetype

if you mean bring the spirit of the old internet back that would be fricken awesome

like it mostly consisting of WOW message boards and the majority of the population not caring to access it yet so leaving it to mostly the nerdy/ cool/ easy going not into society types

if you mean that I wish, also please bring back vanilla wow

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

if you mean bring the spirit of the old internet back that would be fricken awesome

like it mostly consisting of WOW message boards and the majority of the population not caring to access it yet so leaving it to mostly the nerdy/ cool/ easy going not into society types

if you mean that I wish, also please bring back vanilla wow

Vanilla is so overrated. Well, except 10man Scholomance, UBRS, and Strat runs - that was epic.

I also loved the super long 'travel the whole world' quest chains.

But hey, BC WotLK Cata and MoP were all super sweet in their own ways. I quit at the end of MoP so cannot comment on Warlords, Legion, or BfA but I would like to try them now that we're reminiscing.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

can't stand the new releases, BC is ok but nothing beat conquering BWL before anybody released a strategy and opening the gates for AQ

also PVP was way more fun then

the best thing was it being important to not be a dick on your server or you would get labeled and nobody would play with you, the social dynamic was one of the best parts, also unleashing a POM pyro horde at their barrens entrance to WSG, come on man!!!
edit on 3-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

As for your desire, I too become nostalgic and want to return to 2001 and 2002.

But man.... It's not feasible.

What we really need is to practice letting go of the past and focus on embracing a new tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I get what you mean OP but it's not just that the internet evolved or devolved. The older stuff isn't and wouldn't be popular anymore. You want it back and talk of spirit because the feeling it gave you is mostly gone. Same for me and others I'm sure. I started using smartphones way late and my first one was a Galaxy S6 when it came out. Someone could make free programs right now that mimic our favorite old Windows 95 programs and websites but with a touch of modernization, it's just that it wouldn't be popular at all and it'd be hard to find. Those days are gone forever.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

it's my opinion that life and socializing in general was far better before the explosion of the internet. I remember me and my friends used to think marilyn manson ripped his ribs out but if we would have had the internet back then it would have never been rumored everyone would have googled it. I mean we had it but nobody used it like today

I think the energy is changing for everyone and people can feel it, they can feel the weight of the changes that are coming

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

can't stand the new releases, BC is ok but nothing beat conquering BWL before anybody released a strategy and opening the gates for AQ

also PVP was way more fun then

the best thing was it being important to not be a dick on your server or you would get labeled and nobody would play with you, the social dynamic was one of the best parts, also unleashing a POM pyro horde at their barrens entrance to WSG, come on man!!!

I actually played for a completely different reason.

I like all game modes so yes I raided and did pvp but really I played because all my old roommates begged me to.

I think the gameplay I liked most was exploration, questing, and dominating my server's AH economy.

Usually I hated raiding because - other people make it take forever.

As a healer there is a lot of stress involved when raiding with 39 other ppl as well. BWL gives me nightmares.

I really liked Karazhan because not only was it designed super cool, but it also allowed me to get to know my guild more personally and it was just so fun.

I haven't played in over 5 years but I actually keep up w the community.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

interesting I won't totally derail this thread so I'll leave it here but

I LOVED raiding and PVP. was in a top progression guild (I was younger at the time) and we did it like a religion. I remember when we killed Rag for the first time it was like winning the lotto kinda, crazy time. before I forget the challenge of leveling and questing was a ton of fun as well. I went from playing MUD games to WOW and it was a huge game changer

but I miss those old days similar to the thread topic in the OP, life was simpler every decade you go back, now moving forward life gets more complicated every year

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Plenty of irc servers still out there. No way to go all the way back of course. The FCC is trying to completely abandon pots lines for years now. As long as the people do not own the carriers, your traffic can never be secure short of concepts similar to pgp, which would be untenable for the masses. Btw, i am f#$%3d up, so ignore everything i said.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoarchetype
How can Data Science, Machine Learning (Artificial Intelligence), and Encryption be used to salvage the past of the Internet? Can code accomplish this? If set up into a working framework, can it compete against current competitors like Twitter? Why has social and government politics destroyed the Internet as it was in the past (for example message boards, chat, P2P Sharing, etc.). An example (but not limited to) of the final product is like the Wayback Machine. Can you programmers envision a futuristic product like the AOL Software Browser that, by its spirit, can reach back and bring the old experience back without violating copyright and trademarks (even if a fair amount of hacking is involved). The method will be intense and the spotlight would be on for a possibility of Intellectual Property Civil Crimes) Can the above methods (mentioned in the first sentence of this paragraph) crawl and recreate the 1990's experience?

Install MS-DOS 3.3?

Or CP/M, if you're into the whole Z80 thing.

If you can't do it on a 6502, it ain't worth doing.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I agree PVP was better in vanilla, but the honor ranking system was horrible. If you want GM you need to grind pvp all day every day?

Screw that. Lol.

I just play for fun. Sure I can throw down a serious grind and get real repetitive with my farming, but man this PvP stuff..... Ugh.

My main is Holy Pally so although I can have a lot of fun in PVP, I'd only run a few bgs a day tops. There's too many other more profitable things to do.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
I get what you mean OP but it's not just that the internet evolved or devolved. The older stuff isn't and wouldn't be popular anymore. You want it back and talk of spirit because the feeling it gave you is mostly gone. Same for me and others I'm sure. I started using smartphones way late and my first one was a Galaxy S6 when it came out. Someone could make free programs right now that mimic our favorite old Windows 95 programs and websites but with a touch of modernization, it's just that it wouldn't be popular at all and it'd be hard to find. Those days are gone forever.

Aside from windows 95 is a free app now that runs on windows, linux and mac, there is ReactOS. Have you tried any of them?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It's about people. Dumbing things down for people and what is on the internet is added by people. Much of it is just a waste if a person is looking for something meaningful or factual information.

Nice to hear that not everyone dislikes the old look of the internet. Not everything needs to look like a magazine.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

You are kidding right? Sparkle clock cursors and bling gifs on geocities and angelfire hosts? Those halcyon days are what you yearn for?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I hate the magazine style of all these big websites. And the way all these huge ads get in the middle, and the way these ads try to look like an article in that mag but turns out it redirects to a diff website.

The game industry sucks now too.
You need 15,000$ just to play a game properly? Wtf?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

You are kidding right? Sparkle clock cursors and bling gifs on geocities and angelfire hosts? Those halcyon days are what you yearn for?

That's not what I said.

But then 15 JS files, 8 style sheets and connecting to 10 ad servers seems to be a bit much for a web page.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join