It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez calls her salary as a Congresswoman a living wage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Grambler

i feel ya

with o houlihan i mean o rourke i would definitely not think anything other than coming from a #ing rainbow and i am right. lineage that is

unless we are talking about beto

then thats a number
if i heard the name only and didnt see a pic though im leaning towards 'brown' mom and 'green' dad

Other people kind of shocked me as well.

I swear to god I thought marco rubio was just a white guy. But now it seems he is part hispanic I guess?

I guess if i cared more maybe it would be easier to notice these things.

But I am by no means saying noticing someone is a color , or gender, or eight, etc., is a bad thing at all.

I just dont really care at all about any of those things, and sometimes that probably means I dont notice them if its not very obvious.

Regardless;

I at face value disagree with cortez's policies, like that she is somewhat challenging the establishment (though disagree with how she is going about it), and I hope she proves me wrong by achieving great siccess for the people she is representing, which although I dont live in her district, as an American includes me.

I havent bashed her too much as my posts and videos will show, and at the very least can say that she ran for office to make a change which is what I am trying to do, and I applaud her for that.

I just dont think asserting any one with a problem with her color is a worthwhile argument (not that you said that)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

I'm sure Trump earns a living wage, too.

A living wage is one that exceeds the costs of living.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

id be cool with taking a slice of a little of this and a little of that

1 less bomb
how much does a bomb cost?

1 less the president is picking out the stupid tree for the stupid white house bull#.
how much does that charade cost?

I would massively cut what I call war spending.

I htink we need a robust military, I mam not sure how 400 something bases around the world and regime change wars helps that.

But that only is the beginning.

I also believe we should curt taxes for everyone, which means even less spending.

Part of that means far smaller government, and far less government employees.

How high a priority is paying staffers more when our childrens generations will have no social security, no medicare, and be trillions of dollars in debt? Not to mention the veterans not getting health care now, paying for others health care who are seriously ill, our crumbling infrastructure, etc.

On this specific issue, one thing I advocate is having congressmen work from home more; and communicate electronically for normal day to day business. Not all stuff, but why cant they give their pointless day to day speeches via skype or something.

That way we wouldnt have to worry that super liberal places like DC have insane costs of living.

Also, if these workers would all leave the congressmen that pay them so little, then perhaps it would make the cheap jerks open up more of their wallets.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

but i think that people have problems with her just cause she is brown is true too

Honestly, I thought she was white but hispanic? Her skin is not brown, but she has a hispanic-sounding name?

Where did the brown come from? I'm darker-skinned than she is in the summer (of course, I turn reddish, not just brown).

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I dunno who should pay for it, amigo. Recognizing that staffers are underpaid isn't the same as knowing where the money should come from. I do know that in the last decade, the MRA was cut several years in a row before finally being nudged back up the last couple of years, albeit by less of a percentage than it was cut. I know that Congress chooses to wholly underpay the unelected people that work there.

My friends that work on farms should be taxed more to pay them more because they live in a city that has a high cost of living?

Are you asking me to rebut or affirm a position I haven't taken? That's not really my thing, so I'll pass.

Just because there would be less staffers doesnt mean less work would get done either.

Congress barely functions as it is. Having significantly fewer people to do legwork and explain things to idiotic Senators and Congressmen would indeed cause even less work to get done. Staffers aren't just there to answer phones. Staffers are the ones that explain tax bills to Senators and Reps that have little or no professional understanding of tax issues. Having even less people around to explain that we can't "just print more money like with the proposed free health care and college plans" doesn't strike me as a great way to get things done.

But it gets a little tiresome listening to people that want to restribute everyone elses wealth say that before they do everything they personally can.

Indeed it does. It's a little tiresome to hear virtually anything that comes out of her mouth, to be honest.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The gift that keeps on giving!

Why can she not just raise her staff's salary? Show us the way, Alexandria! Show us how to make it work!

God bless New York for giving us comedy back...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

She's such a visionary...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No I wasnt asking you to affirm a position you havent taken. My point is yes I would like everyone who deserves it to get paid more, I just dont know where the money should come from. And seeing as how these people could probably find equal paying jobs that are just as useful, perhaps more so, in areas with a far more livable wage, I dont know how high of a priority this is.

I think the throw more money at it trope almost always fails, regardless of the situation.

we here this all the time; education, military, infrastructure, etc. Less money doesnt mean less productivity necessarily.

For example, I believe congressmen are allowed 22 employees. How many of them spend time working on campaign stuff? Well that useless, and tax payers shouldn't be paying for it.

Get rid of those positions, and now the ones left doing useful things get paid more.

Or the workers could leave, which would mean that there employers would be forced to pay them a higher wage.

The amount of government employees have sky rocketed over the past 50 years, and yet it seems government gets less down now than it did fifty years ago.

Again, I am not saying these people dont work hard and deserve more money; but I could say that about tons of people that arent being paid by the tax payer.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

id be cool with taking a slice of a little of this and a little of that

1 less bomb
how much does a bomb cost?

1 less the president is picking out the stupid tree for the stupid white house bull#.
how much does that charade cost?

I would massively cut what I call war spending.

I htink we need a robust military, I mam not sure how 400 something bases around the world and regime change wars helps that.

But that only is the beginning.

I also believe we should curt taxes for everyone, which means even less spending.

Part of that means far smaller government, and far less government employees.

How high a priority is paying staffers more when our childrens generations will have no social security, no medicare, and be trillions of dollars in debt? Not to mention the veterans not getting health care now, paying for others health care who are seriously ill, our crumbling infrastructure, etc.

On this specific issue, one thing I advocate is having congressmen work from home more; and communicate electronically for normal day to day business. Not all stuff, but why cant they give their pointless day to day speeches via skype or something.

That way we wouldnt have to worry that super liberal places like DC have insane costs of living.

Also, if these workers would all leave the congressmen that pay them so little, then perhaps it would make the cheap jerks open up more of their wallets.

Omg! I really hope this idea gets more recognition! Keep our representatives and senators in State! Sure they can meet up in DC for special 'all should appear' sessions...but all should stay majority time in State and truly represent their voters.

Video conferencing is much more focused and definitely should be mandatory. Individuals politicians staff and interns will be provided a more accurate living wage as well! Dude, you should tweet this idea to Alexandria and Trump too. It is a perfect Bi-partisan solution!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ok there is a problem she just doeant know what shes doing the staff is paid 30k a year however a congressman can pay more to employees. They have something called Members’ Representational Allowance (MRA), which the Committee on House Administration appropriates every year. It is exactly the same amount for every member, and is $944,671.00 .

So she can use this money to supplement their income since it is used for any expenses her office may have. Problem is many in congress do not use the funds to help pay for staffers and rely on the 30k a year. The reason they do this is it means they can charge trips meals and other expenses and they treat it as an extension of their own salary. If she wants to she can use these funds so she can pay her employees better its entirely up to her.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
One more thing she did very little research into the position she wanted. This amazes me how little she knew about congress and what they do.
edit on 12/3/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Don't let her fool you.

She knows exactly what and how much.

She's assuming everybody "listening" to her is dumb.

😎

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Her staff, not her.

Here's the question, do congress critters pay their own staff, or is that a congressional expense? I'll admit that it's not something I've ever thought about.

...and DC is expensive to live in. Though I'm sure it's less so outside the district of Columbia, say in Maryland or Virginia.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So she can use this money to supplement their income since it is used for any expenses her office may have.

If I was her, I'd use some of that money to rent a townhouse with several bedrooms, live there and offer rooms as part of staff compensation. That way, she'd have staff on 24/7 call!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

If you break the numbers down, it's not really that simple.

Representatives make $174k a year. The average cost of living in DC is at, or a little over, $80k a year. So for the sake of round numbers, lets say she drops down to $80k a year and gives the rest to her staff. Congressional staff salaries average between $30k and $50k a year (which come out of the MRA). Representatives have 18 full time staffers and a few part-timers, and this excludes interns entirely.

That's about $5k extra for each staffer if a rep forgoes over half their salary. Even representatives that use their entire MRA, or nearly their entire MRA, for nothing but staff salaries are paying their staffers an average of $70k to $80k a year. An extra $5k a year might put those staffers into "comfortable" territory.

Sure, they can have a smaller staff which means more money for fewer people. It also means even less gets done on The Hill than already gets done. If a rep gives up over half their salary, it might get their staff, on average, somewhere close to what it takes to live in DC.

Sure, people can quit and find work elsewhere. Congress could also stop treating their staffers like crap, too.

Maybe they can stop sexually assaulting and harassing them, then we can spend that much more on compensation. Washington is a disgusting and unforgivable den of improprieties.

This chick graduated from a prestigious school with a racist scholarship. Now she wants to bitch and moan. Very sad. Just listening to her ignorant rhetoric is proof that the prestigious schools mean nothing.

She's a disgusting example of the soiled city dwellers that have become nose blind to their own stench.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ‏ Verified account @Ocasio2018 Follow Follow @Ocasio2018 More This week I went to dive spot in DC for some late night food. I chatted up the staff. SEVERAL bartenders, managers, & servers *currently worked in Senate + House offices.* This is a disgrace. Congress of ALL places should raise MRAs so we can pay staff an actual DC living wage.

twitter.com... witchy.com%2Fsamj-3930%2F2018%2F12%2F03%2Fthe-hell-is-she-talking-about-now-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-calls-her-salary-as-a-congresswoman-a-living-wage -and-yeeeah-no%2F

I for one, think she deserves a raise after all the hard work she has put in LOL

Typical liberal mentality. If she thinks staffers, interns, and the like should be earning a "living wage", then she should pay her staff a living wage. Have her supporters pony up the cash so she can pay above market wages.

See liberals always want to talk about what we should be doing, but then they never actually take the first step and do it themselves first.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError
I haven't t seen this many threads about a politician on ATS ever since Trump decided to run.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sure knows how to trigger white insecure senior citizens from the south

ROFLMAO... When someone says/writes some stupid claim like the above it makes me think that person is talking about themselves...

How do you know what race people are? By reading their comments?... Seriously?... lol

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I swear to god I thought marco rubio was just a white guy. But now it seems he is part hispanic I guess?

He is Cuban-American, same for Ted Cruz.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

In her tweet, Cortez isn't asking for a raise for herself. She's expressing her surprise and dismay that so many staffers and interns have to work two jobs, one of them being public service and the other being food and beverage service! She's asking that staffers, and interns, be paid a "living wage".

Outta here with those facts! Brown woman bad.

Is she "brown"?

I hadnt noticed.

Glad that is apparently important to you though!

You think like me. There are people of all colours on both sides of the aisle. Colour is irrelevant.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

In her tweet, Cortez isn't asking for a raise for herself. She's expressing her surprise and dismay that so many staffers and interns have to work two jobs, one of them being public service and the other being food and beverage service! She's asking that staffers, and interns, be paid a "living wage".

In Hispanic circles she would be considered white. She just gets lots of sun. Her sun tan doesn't make her brown...

edit on 3-12-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: correct excerpt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join