It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Google Heres a new project Streetview for the entire OCEAN FLOOR how cool would it be ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We have the technology. We have the equipment currently being used for scientific pursuits So why not built a few more and dedicate them to video mapping the ocean floor ? Unless its already being done in bits and pieces i under stand the land surface isn't even complete due to various factors but in the ocean you could just float along with ALMOST no privacy issues....

What would the startup costs be to actually get operational and have a fleet of rovers start mapping ??

Does any think this would be a cool project?

i know i can almost tour a foreign country from my laptop in areas and it's amazing heck even MARS has a few pics now ....
Here's the website for google street-view but How about an Ocean-view

Thoughts ATS?

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

We don't really have the technology.
I mean, we could- but currently it's a lot of work getting something that deep- and then getting it back up again. Most of the ocean floor is so dark - it would have tremendous power requirements to light and picture it, meaning an expensive tether to an above ground ship- there are portions underwater over 30,000 feet deep.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't know how realistic it is, but that sounds exciting. What I would want is up to 300 feet deep to start. That's a lot easier than the ocean trenches, and the fact is, there's a whole lot of stuff there people would be VERY interested in.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A mini sub nuclear powered of course could do it- there's an underground plant in VA that builds power modules the size of a small truck. So the tech IS there but just actually assigning resources- meaning money i guess ... It'll take a few more years i guess but the idea is totally cool...

a reply to: lordcomac

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What about doing a start up? would there be interest enough to build one dedicated to just the coastlines?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Great idea but the fact is we don't really have the tech...yet. Would love to see as deep as we can go with bottom mapping radar first.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Such mystery, at the bottom of the seas:

Giant squid?
Monsters?
Shipwrecks?
MH370...?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
We do have the tech. Side scan radar. Get away from the idea of deep ocean scanning and concentrate on the continental shelves. That's a lot easier and well within reach. We ought to be looking for sunken cities from the last ice age, not just more shipwrecks. That's one of the sad things Paul Allen did with his own tech. He went after sunken warships when he could have scanned the coast of India. What a waste!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

An ocean floor tour would be awesome. I've always thought a live feed that bounced from one satellite to another from Earth to Mars would be badass as well.

Having said that, I've been taking a tour in El Fresno, Mexico and it's all dirt roads lined with cacti. Heh

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

edit on 3-12-2018 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People would literally die accomplishing this so that nerds could look up ocean coordinates for conspiracy theories, to track crashed planes and naval conflicts. The amount of time and money it would require especially to fund would be immense. The logistics and organization would be a massive undertaking, but yes, theoretically doable without too much grief, I guess. The problem is, it's a massive monetary loss. There's no business to gain off of it, it's not going to help people on a daily basis.

It's one thing to hire people that'll use their own cars to drive around neighborhoods with instruments to gather data for GPS and streetview, the satellites are already there. Can satellites even take pictures under deep ocean? Lol. Isn't google streetview taken from satellites?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Watch out for them cartels, drug smugglers, kidnapping ransom murderers, and immigrant trains. God speed back to Trump country my friend.

iTengo que irme ahora!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
We have the technology. We have the equipment currently being used for scientific pursuits So why not built a few more and dedicate them to video mapping the ocean floor ? Unless its already being done in bits and pieces i under stand the land surface isn't even complete due to various factors but in the ocean you could just float along with ALMOST no privacy issues....

What would the startup costs be to actually get operational and have a fleet of rovers start mapping ??

Does any think this would be a cool project?

i know i can almost tour a foreign country from my laptop in areas and it's amazing heck even MARS has a few pics now ....
Here's the website for google street-view but How about an Ocean-view

Thoughts ATS?

www.google.com...

I've always wanted to do this. I worked on 3D sonar display systems and terrain rendering. You don't need visible light, but sonar systems that can generate point clouds detailed enough to appear as good as photography.

Small sonar systems have a range of 10K meters maximum depth with 1000 sample points. That's a 90 degree fan pointing downwards. Resolution and coverage are trade offs against each other. But with a 10K meter range, you would need a few hundred ROV's, even to scan somewhere like the Pacific ocean (168,723,000 square kilometers, roughly 9000Km x 5000Km)

www.worldatlas.com...

There have been designs for ROV's that can do down to 11,000 meters underwater:
en.wikipedia.org...ō_ROV

Fortunately, somewhere like the Pacific is only 4K deep. Autonomous ROV's are the only way. You would need a surface vessel with satellite communications to store and upload data, then have a fibre-optic tether to the explorer ROV that explores the ocean bed. Maybe build in some fail-safes like emergency flotation devices in case the tether/umbilical cord breaks. Perhaps even have self repair mechanism to reconnect the tether if it disconnected.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

top topics

join