It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican's in Wisconsin move to pass laws limiting the governor's powers after election loss

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: LSU2018

No I thought your reply to BlackJackal was saying not to worry because even though the Republican's are taking power away from newly elected Democrats, its 'for the good of the country'. Apparently I've misunderstood you?

I think you did. This will have an effect on any party in power. It's not geared just towards the left. Our presidents have term limits, why not everyone else.

My comment about destructive policies is just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: LSU2018

No I thought your reply to BlackJackal was saying not to worry because even though the Republican's are taking power away from newly elected Democrats, its 'for the good of the country'. Apparently I've misunderstood you?

I think you did. This will have an effect on any party in power. It's not geared just towards the left. Our presidents have term limits, why not everyone else.

My comment about destructive policies is just my opinion.

Ah, wow, ok, totally misread it then. Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

The fundamental purpose of elected officials within our government is to represent their constituents wishes. However, now we have two examples of these elected officials purposefully attempting to defy the wishes of said constituents to limit the power of the representatives they voted for. The reasoning behind these moves is clear; hold onto power.

Instead of inventing motives and reasons whole cloth, perhaps try to dispute their actual arguments instead of the straw men you erect in their place.

Here:

“The legislature will come back in an extraordinary session next week to finish our work. Wisconsin law, written by the legislature and signed into law by a governor, should not be erased by the potential political maneuvering of the executive branch. In order to find common ground, everyone must be at the table.”

“One of the top priorities for the special session is to pass legislation to ensure people with pre-existing conditions will always have access to affordable health insurance coverage in Wisconsin.”

“Our state must stay open for business. WEDC, our economic development agency, must continue to have the ability to help spur job creation and business opportunities without fear of being shut down.”

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Anything that limits government power is usually a good thing

This will also limit future republican gov’s power too

It’s not like reducing the number of votes to appoint judges

This is not about limiting governments power. This is the Republicans understanding that they have gerrymandered the districts to ensure them a permanent majority in the state legislature. Since they have a stranglehold on the legislative it is only limiting Democrats since the Republican legislative would be favorable to all Republican governors.

This is about stockpiling power.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Harry Reid and democrats enacted the "nuclear option" in order to thwart republican filibusters in the senate.

It came back to bite democrats in the proverbial ass.

This to, will bite the republicans in their behinds.

You won’t find me arguing that Harry Reid and the Democrats behind using the nuclear option knew what they were doing. I was pissed when they pulled that stunt. That single action may have done more to hurt our democracy than any other single piece of legislation since the 3/5 Compromise.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf

The fundamental purpose of elected officials within our government is to represent their constituents wishes. However, now we have two examples of these elected officials purposefully attempting to defy the wishes of said constituents to limit the power of the representatives they voted for. The reasoning behind these moves is clear; hold onto power.

Instead of inventing motives and reasons whole cloth, perhaps try to dispute their actual arguments instead of the straw men you erect in their place.

Here:

“The legislature will come back in an extraordinary session next week to finish our work. Wisconsin law, written by the legislature and signed into law by a governor, should not be erased by the potential political maneuvering of the executive branch. In order to find common ground, everyone must be at the table.”

“One of the top priorities for the special session is to pass legislation to ensure people with pre-existing conditions will always have access to affordable health insurance coverage in Wisconsin.”

“Our state must stay open for business. WEDC, our economic development agency, must continue to have the ability to help spur job creation and business opportunities without fear of being shut down.”

Are you seriously so dim that you actually fall for political propaganda? So the next time the Democrats pass a bill you don’t agree with, all I have to do to shut you up is drag out whatever drivel the Democrats come up with as talking points for the bill?

Seriously, in what situation when a person or group of people are accused of wrongdoing do you just take the word of the accused as proof of no wrongdoing? Especially in cases in which the perpetrators are aware what they intend to do may not be 100% above board to begin with. I’m those cases they will try to sell it as anything but what it is.

Remember the Patriot Act? Yep pretty far away from a ‘Patriot Act’

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Are they doing something illegal? Doesn't sound like it.

Yeah, nothing illegal. Judges typically through laws out all the time for things that are perfectly legal. You can tell it is especially legal when multiple judges declare these types of laws illegal.

Yep, nothing wrong at all,

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

So you're thread was posted an hour ago, complete with a list of sources.

Its SOOOOOOOOO coincidental that the same talking points hit the MSM at the same exact time.

It's like you're SO abreast on politics that these same media sources tend to think JUST like you and even rehash your talking points verbatim!

Amazing!

OMG...... you have finally figured me out........ I guess it was only a matter of time. I really thought it would take longer for you guys to realize that I’m a fraud. It really is kinda embarrassing. I’ve spent all this time engaging you guys in the forums over various topics and all the while I was a sham, a pretender if you will.

You have finally seen through me.... I’m not like you guys, my critics, and I guess I never will. Because your right I do read the news, all of it, left and right, I make my own conclusions and I don’t just blindly follow anyone or anything. And that is what separates us.

You see Seed, I even linked to my sources in the OP, there is no big secret that I didn’t just make up # from thin air. I have no idea what your big complaint is, sure I used that story as the basis for my post but I freaking linked it for you! I’m not hiding anything. Plus, unlike many here, my post is not just copy and paste from one news article. I actually tied this event to other similar events in the recent past. You are so desperate to point out anything that I may do wrong that you come up with the idea to attack me for posting news........

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Anything that limits government power is usually a good thing

This will also limit future republican gov’s power too

It’s not like reducing the number of votes to appoint judges

you don't know what a representative government is all about......it's to take power AWAY from the wealthy, and give it to the people......kings, dictators, and royalty, have always had their own enrichment interests in mind, and not the interests of the countries commoners, they rule over.

let the people decide by election, how much their government should and should not do.....the top 1% of Americans now own 40% to 45% of the ENTIRE nation's wealth, and you want to limit government?......in my opinion, it should be strengthened to avoid a caste system of the very wealthy controlling a vast majority of the working poor.

Do you not see that the Republicans are working directly against the will of the people? The citizens in Wisconsin voted for a change in party in the last election. After those results the Republicans are attending to push laws which take power away from who the people elected so they can keep it themselves. This is all about the Republicans hanging on to power directly in spite of the will of the people.

Based off your post, surely you must be outraged by this blatant attempt to thwart the will of the people.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I think you will find a lot of R not ok with this. It seems to me that D have the typical at any cost mentality. I am of neither party and do not like this. A lot of R people will probably find it hypocritical people who are silent when D do this suddenly care. The way to combat this is to make sure your own party is beyond reproach.

Early voting is one thing I do think needs to be examined, we need to tighten voter laws to try to accommodate some people with access while ensuring the integrity of the vote.

I appreciate you honesty. I too am opposed to both sides attempting this type of crap. If you look back at my reply a few up you will see that I was totally against Harry Reid when he used the nuclear option.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
I'm sure if this was the Democrats doing the same thing people would be losing their minds. But since it's the Republican's doing it, that's ok

No, it looks like a handful of people are still losing their minds currently.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
oh the hypocri....wait...
no, not hypocrisy...its Republicans overtly showing corruption, it's ok.

I can see this thread fading away, because party loyalty is more important than what voters democratically elected; so of course they all agree with this...

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
oh the hypocri....wait...
no, not hypocrisy...its Republicans overtly showing corruption, it's ok.

I can see this thread fading away, because party loyalty is more important than what voters democratically elected; so of course they all agree with this...

Yep.... Spot on.

People on both sides do it. But on this site very few have the self awareness to recognize that. It's almost like if they admit their party isn't perfect then they will get kicked out or something. It's like a cult.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
People took to the streets yesterday to protest these new laws but the Republican's still plan to move ahead. So much for the will of the people

LINK

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Are you seriously so dim that you actually fall for political propaganda? So the next time the Democrats pass a bill you don’t agree with, all I have to do to shut you up is drag out whatever drivel the Democrats come up with as talking points for the bill?

Seriously, in what situation when a person or group of people are accused of wrongdoing do you just take the word of the accused as proof of no wrongdoing? Especially in cases in which the perpetrators are aware what they intend to do may not be 100% above board to begin with. I’m those cases they will try to sell it as anything but what it is.

Remember the Patriot Act? Yep pretty far away from a ‘Patriot Act’

Nope. I don't believe them. I'm just pointing out your silly fallacies, which, as you may have noticed, I didn't fall for. So much for political propaganda.

Are you seriously so dim that you have to invent strawmen because you cannot refute their real arguments?

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Very true,

This kind of thing happening in my country is unthinkable: 'stockpiling power', thank you! The country I live does have right wing parties, left wing parties, even a communist party. No problemo, though still a lot of discussion. But our voting system is hardly a subject. And it is common, after an election, the still sitting power bows to the results of the election: lame duck = you do not make significant changes, And everybody is ok with it. That's to expect, but, no sir.

edit on 4-12-2018 by Spinoza73 because: significant possible misunderstanding solved

edit on 4-12-2018 by Spinoza73 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join