It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican's in Wisconsin move to pass laws limiting the governor's powers after election loss

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Republican's in Wisconsin are moving ahead with plans to limit the power of the incoming Democratic lawmakers. Following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republican's in 2016, Republicans are once again attempting to limit Democrats power to change policies put in place by the Republican's. This was the first lame-duck session in Wisconsin in eight years and a blatant attempt to silence the voice of voters who won every constitutional office within the state.

In addition to limiting the incoming Democrats power, Republicans also seek to change the date of the 2020 primaries to insulate a Scott Walker appointed Supreme Court Justice who is up for re-election. Additionally, they seek to limit early voting to no more than two weeks prior to the election. However, laws seeking to limit early voting have been found unconstitutional as recently as 2016.[1]

When similar actions were attempted in North Carolina following the 2016 election, the majority of what they passed was found to be unconstitutional by several judges throughout the appeal process.[2][3][4] After losing multiple court battles over the laws, North Carolina Republicans shifted tactics and instead tried to get the state Constitution changed to limit the governor's powers. That amendment was on the ballot in last month's election and it failed. [5]

The fundamental purpose of elected officials within our government is to represent their constituents wishes. However, now we have two examples of these elected officials purposefully attempting to defy the wishes of said constituents to limit the power of the representatives they voted for. The reasoning behind these moves is clear; hold onto power.

I'm sure if this was the Democrats doing the same thing people would be losing their minds. But since it's the Republican's doing it, that's ok

[1] Wisconsin Republicans move to limit powers of incoming Democratic governor in lame-duck session
[2] North Carolina Judges Suspend Limit on Governor’s Powers
[3] North Carolina governor expands lawsuit against Republican state officials
[4] N.C. Court Blocks Attempt By State Lawmakers To Limit Incoming Governor's Power
[5] NC voters reject constitutional amendments limiting governor’s power; 4 others pass

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

I normally lean R, and I'm not OK with this.

This is a perfect example to show that politicians are not for the people.

The reasoning behind these moves is clear; hold onto power.

Scott Walker with his puppet masters the Koch brothers just want to poison our beautiful state to earn a few dollars, and they will use their massive $$$ to sway people and to make sure they can keep reeling in the money.

It makes you wonder, is there ever an amount that is enough? They are worth over 100 BILLION together... just try to imagine that.

edit on 3-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Anything that limits government power is usually a good thing

This will also limit future republican gov’s power too

It’s not like reducing the number of votes to appoint judges

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Harry Reid and democrats enacted the "nuclear option" in order to thwart republican filibusters in the senate.

It came back to bite democrats in the proverbial ass.

This to, will bite the republicans in their behinds.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Exactly how much power will our incoming governor have, considering the legislature is still predominately R ? Tony won't be able to make or change any laws other than some executive order tweaking.......I'm not worried.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Are they doing something illegal? Doesn't sound like it.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Early voting shouldn't exist; 14 days of it is absolutely plenty of time for people who disagree with my first point.

As for the rest of it, be careful what they wish for...when you start dicking with laws on short-sighted goals, that generally does not have a good lasting effect. Especially if it goes against the will of the people. Of course, one could say that this is why the current people in power were elected, but I don't buy that sort of thinking for the most part.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

So you're thread was posted an hour ago, complete with a list of sources.

Its SOOOOOOOOO coincidental that the same talking points hit the MSM at the same exact time.

It's like you're SO abreast on politics that these same media sources tend to think JUST like you and even rehash your talking points verbatim!

Amazing!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Republican's in Wisconsin move to pass laws limiting the governor's powers after election loss

excellent

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
Republican's in Wisconsin are moving ahead with plans to limit the power of the incoming Democratic lawmakers. Following in the footsteps of North Carolina Republican's in 2016, Republicans are once again attempting to limit Democrats power to change policies put in place by the Republican's. This was the first lame-duck session in Wisconsin in eight years and a blatant attempt to silence the voice of voters who won every constitutional office within the state.

In addition to limiting the incoming Democrats power, Republicans also seek to change the date of the 2020 primaries to insulate a Scott Walker appointed Supreme Court Justice who is up for re-election. Additionally, they seek to limit early voting to no more than two weeks prior to the election. However, laws seeking to limit early voting have been found unconstitutional as recently as 2016.[1]

When similar actions were attempted in North Carolina following the 2016 election, the majority of what they passed was found to be unconstitutional by several judges throughout the appeal process.[2][3][4] After losing multiple court battles over the laws, North Carolina Republicans shifted tactics and instead tried to get the state Constitution changed to limit the governor's powers. That amendment was on the ballot in last month's election and it failed. [5]

The fundamental purpose of elected officials within our government is to represent their constituents wishes. However, now we have two examples of these elected officials purposefully attempting to defy the wishes of said constituents to limit the power of the representatives they voted for. The reasoning behind these moves is clear; hold onto power.

I'm sure if this was the Democrats doing the same thing people would be losing their minds. But since it's the Republican's doing it, that's ok

[1] Wisconsin Republicans move to limit powers of incoming Democratic governor in lame-duck session
[2] North Carolina Judges Suspend Limit on Governor’s Powers
[3] North Carolina governor expands lawsuit against Republican state officials
[4] N.C. Court Blocks Attempt By State Lawmakers To Limit Incoming Governor's Power
[5] NC voters reject constitutional amendments limiting governor’s power; 4 others pass

Good for the Republicans in Wisconsin. Seems they are finally playing hardball.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I think you will find a lot of R not ok with this. It seems to me that D have the typical at any cost mentality. I am of neither party and do not like this. A lot of R people will probably find it hypocritical people who are silent when D do this suddenly care. The way to combat this is to make sure your own party is beyond reproach.

Early voting is one thing I do think needs to be examined, we need to tighten voter laws to try to accommodate some people with access while ensuring the integrity of the vote.
edit on 3-12-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I disagree, not good. Let the voters voice be heard.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I disagree, not good. Let the voters voice be heard.

First off, you are believing the story in the context the OP presented. Considering the OP is the most DNC biased individual person I have ever seen I would be careful to believe any of his stories. As such I mock him openly in the hope that he will get angry and slip up in his constant barrage of one party dogma.
edit on 3-12-2018 by Fools because: ...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Anything that limits government power is usually a good thing

This will also limit future republican gov’s power too

It’s not like reducing the number of votes to appoint judges

you don't know what a representative government is all about......it's to take power AWAY from the wealthy, and give it to the people......kings, dictators, and royalty, have always had their own enrichment interests in mind, and not the interests of the countries commoners, they rule over.

let the people decide by election, how much their government should and should not do.....the top 1% of Americans now own 40% to 45% of the ENTIRE nation's wealth, and you want to limit government?......in my opinion, it should be strengthened to avoid a caste system of the very wealthy controlling a vast majority of the working poor.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

If it's true, I don't like it. I think it's likely it is true, this is how politics works today. So when D do this I can bash them incessantly and point out the hypocrisy of other posters who only care when R do it, because I care when both parties do it.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Harry Reid and democrats enacted the "nuclear option" in order to thwart republican filibusters in the senate.

It came back to bite democrats in the proverbial ass.

This to, will bite the republicans in their behinds.

Not quite. They're changing the rules while the Democrats hold the office, then presumably changing them back after the Democrats vacate the positions (since while its the voters right to determine who will represent them, its the Republicans right to sequester any power from any position). Its all totally on the up and up.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

21st Century democrat ideologies are too destructive. If you love your country, you'll let this be.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

21st Century democrat ideologies are too destructive. If you love your country, you'll let this be.

Why hold elections then even? If the Republican modus-operandi is to be: 'lets the voters pick who they want, and if they pick a Democrat, we'll just rescind that position until they vote in a Republican' then I'm not sure its even a Representative Democracy you want anymore.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: LSU2018

Why hold elections then even? If the Republican modus-operandi is to be: 'lets the voters pick who they want, and if they pick a Democrat, we'll just rescind that position until they vote in a Republican' then I'm not sure its even a Representative Democracy you want anymore.

I believe you responded to the wrong guy.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

No I thought your reply to BlackJackal was saying not to worry because even though the Republican's are taking power away from newly elected Democrats, its 'for the good of the country'. Apparently I've misunderstood you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join