It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows 63% of non citizens on welfare.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well you better start forcing people to join trade apprenticeships.

“If you think it’s bad now,” McCadden said. “Five to ten  years from now it will be awful. It might soon be more lucrative to be a plumber than a doctor. Professional craftsmen are going to be few and far between. Demand has outstripped supply and it’s getting worse.”

www.forbes.com...

edit on 3-12-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

I keep thinking there should be some sort of way for immigrants to earn citizenship, right?

Like, show us how committed you are to your new country - what are you willing to do to contribute??

Are you willing to join the military for at least 2 years?

Something like that... because arriving just to become a sucking sound for decades is unacceptable.

That isn't what the data shows. These people get welfare to subsidize low wages.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

We need four things:

Immigration reform
Welfare reform
Corporate welfare reform
term limits everywhere

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That should unite us as Americans but, it would seem the elected officials like the wedge where it is.

People would rather keep their tribal leader who has been in office for more than a decade causing the very problems people complain about, than let a new guy from another tribe get a shot.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

What's the rate on citizens?
For comparison...

A valid question for comparison, but in reality irrelevant, as I believe government is responsible for citizens, not non citizens.

Where does it end? There are look literally millions of ppl around the globe in far worse circumstances than those coming from central America.

Should taxpayers foot the bill for all of them?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

It's not irrelevant.
We let them in.
I agree we shouldn't have but we are at this point.
Yes, close the border but you can't let people that are already here starve.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

What's the rate on citizens?
For comparison...

35% for Americans (or "native born households")
63% for non-Americans (illegals, temp green card workers, permenant but unnaturalized residents)

From the article:

Their key findings in the analysis: 

In 2014, 63 percent of households headed by a non-citizen reported that they used at least one welfare program, compared to 35 percent of native-headed households.

"Let THE PURGE begin!!!!"

edit on 12/3/2018 by 3n19m470 because: added quote from OP link

edit on 12/3/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

It's not irrelevant.
We let them in.

So, if I decide I don't want to work, do I get the same benefits, with the same ease?

Actually, I see it as separate issues. I'm against long term government assistance for any able bodied individual, regardless of status.

If you are here illegally, nobody "let you in". You are breaking the law.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

It's not irrelevant.
We let them in.

So, if I decide I don't want to work, do I get the same benefits, with the same ease?

Actually, I see it as separate issues. I'm against long term government assistance for any able bodied individual, regardless of status.

Actually businesses do in fact recruit and charter illegals.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Our nation was built by immigrants. BUT, those who came, did so legally, and brought skills and ambition with them. They didn't plop down in a chair in some government office waiting to be called to collect their benefits, they busted their asses after risking their lives to get here. They built all that we enjoy today.

Even the propaganda from CIS disagrees with this assertion:

Welfare receipt by working households is very common. Of non-citizen households receiving welfare, 93 percent have at least one worker, as do 76 percent of native households receiving welfare. In fact, non-citizen households are more likely overall to have a worker than are native households.1

You also have a really skewed conception of history. In the 19th century, the nativists said exactly the same things about immigrants. This cartoon is about Irish:

"Infernal machines" btw refers to bombs. So clockwise: they're terrorists, they're being allowed in for votes, they're (violent) criminals and they're lazy and looking for handouts.

A person with your *exact* mindset 150 years ago would be saying the same # about the people you say "brought skills and ambition with them" and "didn't plop down in a chair ... waiting to be called to collect their benefits" as you are saying about these people today.

Ever do any genealogical research? I would be willing to bet that a majority of your own forebearers listed "farmer" as their occupation and weren't any more skilled, ambitious or hardworking than the average undocumented Central American.

I'd also point out that "welfare" here is being used as a catchall for all manners of things from free school lunches for US-born children to legal permanent residents claiming the earn income tax credit.

These people aren't exploiting the American tax payer, American businesses are exploiting them for cheap labor and they're inability to demand better working conditions. And in that way, it's the employers who also exploit the tax payers just like they do with low paying jobs held by citizens. This study is from a few years back:

Low Wages Cost U.S. Taxpayers $152.8 Billion Each Year in Public Support for Working Families

Stagnating wages and decreased benefits are a problem not only for low-wage workers who increasingly cannot make ends meet, but also for the federal government as well as the 50 state governments that finance the public assistance programs many of these workers and their families turn to. Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of enrollees in America’s major public support programs are members of working families;4 the taxpayers bear a significant portion of the hidden costs of low-wage work in America.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

People who haven't studied the situation rely on the narratives of their belief system reinforcements.

Its beyond obvious the situation benefits both parties immensely.

Every main stream political policy towards immigration negates the supply and demand problem of labor.

Nationlists believe without evidence Americans will fill the labor jobs and Progressives don't want temporary work visas that would limit benefit access and define civil status.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It's not irrelevant.
We let them in.

Actually businesses do in fact recruit and charter illegals.

Maybe in some areas of the country, that is true, but it is also wrong.

Another irrelevant statement, as it pertains to whether it is fair to the US taxpayer.

If they are being recruited for employment, I assume they are not on assistance...... Wait....what?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Almost 100 percent of the illegals on welfare have a person working in the family household.

Its wage subsidy. The illegals didn't create the problem we did.

Jobs will be filled if they need to be done. They will go the black market and bribe market. No wall in the world keeps out bribes to enter.

Since there is no Visa program to reflect the labor shortage it is easier to stay in the country with your family than keep illegally crossing to visit.

If there were a temp Visa program you could go back and forth at a regulated period.

This problem was created by the lack of people learning trades and greedy employers amd politicians. Consumers also played a role enjoying cheaper costs on new construction.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

People who haven't studied the situation rely on the narratives of their belief system reinforcements.

Every main stream political policy towards immigration negates the supply and demand problem of labor.

Nationlists believe without evidence Americans will fill the labor jobs and Progressives don't want temporary work visas that would limit benefit access and define civil status.

So process them in a "legal" manner.

If we need ppl to fill the labor market, fine. That has absolutely nothing to do with ppl ignoring the law.

There is a system in place to allow immigration legally. I believe we take in over a million annually.

Is that system not good enough for you?

If not, change the system. Don't ignore the laws.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

So process them in a "legal" manner.

If we need ppl to fill the labor market, fine. That has absolutely nothing to do with ppl ignoring the law.

There is a system in place to allow immigration legally. I believe we take in over a million annually.

Is that system not good enough for you?

If not, change the system. Don't ignore the laws.

The market doesn't care about laws when its forced into live or die situarions. This is basic economics. If the city of Dallas can't be built and all the new industry and homes can't be taxed etc...the power to cheat is stronger than any law. This is where the market enters bribes.

Why do you think so many illegals came in under say Rick Perry? Do you honestly think he didn't know there where millions on all the jobsites in his state and he just couldn't figure out how to stop it?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

So your position is that it's OK to break the law if someone else is willing to do the same by hiring you?

I'm sorry. I can't make that leap. In fact, I think those employers should be prosecuted as well. Are politicians allowing it to happen? In some cases, I would say absolutely yes.

That is not an excuse for border jumping IMO.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

No my position is no matter what I think or believe the market will want to continue to grow. It will find the labor..it doesn't have moral thoughts. It just is.

My problem is the focus. It should not be on the illegals. It should be on the politicians who failed to adjust the laws to reflect the labor problems. Its unarguable exploitation of labor and a circumvention of labor laws including paying employee workmans comp, SSI, taxes erc.

The biggest law breakers are the employers. They turn this to profit. The labor spends it on big gulps and 7 eleven donuts.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Irrelevant.

All Citizens aren't taken care of. It isn't my job (AKA the government's job) to take care of individual Citizens, but since we already are doing it we damn well better take care of every single American before taking care of non-Americans. That is common sense 101

Why should we be taking care of foreign nationals when there are actual Americans without homes, without enough food to eat or without some basic level of medical care?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I couldn't get welfare, yet I'm a US citizen and theoretically should have qualified immediately.

America is backwards.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

The biggest law breakers are the employers. They turn this to profit. The labor spends it on big gulps and 7 eleven donuts.

Hard to argue with that....

Either way, we need to focus on America/Americans before worrying about foreign nationals

And also need to crack down on lawless corporations

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join