It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows 63% of non citizens on welfare.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
www.washingtonexaminer.com...

A majority of “non-citizens,” including those with legal green card rights, are tapping into welfare programs set up to help poor and ailing Americans, a Census Bureau finding that bolsters President Trump’s concern about immigrants costing the nation. In a new analysis of the latest numbers, from 2014, 63 percent of non-citizens are using a welfare program, and it grows to 70 percent for those here 10 years or more, confirming another concern that once immigrants tap into welfare, they don’t get off it.

This was and has been the main concern of many. We take in so many looking for a slice of the american dream, only to end up supporting them on the welfare system that is a result of taxes on the working class. And we still have citizens who need help, so giving help to non-citizens seems like a backwards way to do business.

Our nation was built by immigrants. BUT, those who came, did so legally, and brought skills and ambition with them. They didn't plop down in a chair in some government office waiting to be called to collect their benefits, they busted their asses after risking their lives to get here. They built all that we enjoy today.

We need to do some serious work on our immigration. We need to encourage those who bring skills and ambition, and deny those who seem to want nothing but handouts. We need the system to be easier to navigate and it needs to reward those who wish to work towards building a greater nation. Pretending we are all Mother Theresa and demonizing anyone who questions letting the masses do what they want, needs to be something in the past that we look back on and cringe.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Eloquently said.

If that study is accurate, this is quite the problem we have on our hands.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

What's the rate on citizens?
For comparison...

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The easiest way to destroy a great nation is to set up an exploitable system of entitlements for the poor then have open immigration from the poorest countries.

You can't really blame the millions of illegals here now, or those that are desperately trying to get here. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting into this country.

Eventually the system will become unsustainable and those social safety nets set up for American citizens in need will be gone.

Maybe then it will matter?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
For comparison...

It's in the article, roughly half.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

For comparison...

Interesting question.

21.3% of Americans participate in monthly government assistance programs -per Census.

Approximately 52.2 million (or 21.3 percent) people in the U.S. participated in major means-tested government assistance programs each month in 2012, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report released today. Participation rates were highest for Medicaid (15.3 percent) and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as the food stamp program (13.4 percent).

Edit: This figure differs from the OP's article in that this is Americans who participate in monthly programs. If it was any kind of government assistance, it is surely higher, I just went with this source as it is government, but note it has different parameters.
edit on 3-12-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The Cloward–Piven strategy is a political strategy outlined in 1966 by American sociologists and political activists Richard Cloward and Frances Fox Piven that called for overloading the U.S. public welfare system in order to precipitate a crisis that would lead to a replacement of the welfare system with a national system of "a guaranteed annual income and thus an end to poverty". [1][2]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Hell no, you can't blame them. If I was told I could to live in Cancun, be given housing and money and food, all for nothing, I'd be there tomorrow. It's not their fault at all, it's the system that is ripe for abuse by design. The system needs to be fixed. In the past, it was politically expedient to kick this particular can down the road for the next guy. Whomever tackles it, will be hated by most today, due to political rhetoric, but history will smile on them if it works. Part of me really wants Trump to do something spectacular that even the haters have to admire. If for nothing else, to see the meltdowns.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing it is that low to be honest.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

For comparison...

35% according to the OP's source.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

When going through the numbers by demographic, one stuck out to me the most.

6.7 percent of full-time workers participated in means-tested programs.
Census

Hmmmm, how 'bout that.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I see it all the time being a fireman in Texas. For the most part I don’t blame the Hispanics at all, it’s our own dumb fault letting it happen. They take advantage of all benefits they can.
The men here are mostly construction workers and work for less, and even more so if you pay cash. They get food cards, they line up for free school supplies, dentist go to the elementary schools for free, and at Christmas time they line up for the free toys through the toy drives.
They are extremely hard working. They make every dollar go as far as they can, which we could all learn to do better.
I had a garage sale a while back and had a Hispanic lady haggling over clothes that were marked .25 cents! A quarter! It’s not on them it’s on us.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

For comparison...

35% according to the OP's source.

Well when you consider that these people likely have a poor education at home and can barely speak the local language, they are probably stuck in low paying jobs.

Double the government assistance rate is not surprising.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
people wanted to do things the American way. In public, you followed american customs, spoke English, you came to this country to be part of the country,

NOW

now people come to America to get what Americans have, not to become Americans. To a degree, they even want american culture to bend to them....

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
In states like California, the immigrants collect assistance and work for cash a lot which actually pays less per hour or job. They do this all over, it is not limited to immigrants, it is actually a welfare mindset. The people in these states like getting cheap labor and know it subsidizes the welfare checks of people. I have no problem with someone on Welfare getting part time cash work, but it seems that it has become obsessive in some areas of the country, people collecting assistance might be making more than a lower middle class individual when you add up everything.

I am sure states like California and Florida and others with lots of immigrants are looking the other way and even making sanctuary cities. So the taxpayer is actually supplying a lot of income to these people which results in cheap labor for the upper and middle class who cannot clean their own house or mow their own grass anymore because they are entitled.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It's obvious you don't understand reality on this subject. It's hardly as simple as the yalk I'll ng points you are buying into.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It's obvious you don't understand reality on this subject. It's hardly as simple as the yalk I'll ng points you are buying into.

Well don't just sit there.

Drop bombs of knowledge on us.

link   
There's also:

Of the 4,684,784 million non-citizen households receiving welfare, 93 percent or 4,370,385 have at least one worker. Among the 37,195,644 million native-headed households receiving welfare, 76 percent or 28,238,540 have at least one worker.

Looks like 'non-citizens' are more likely to work too.

I also find it strange that they've excluded households where there are natives older than 21.

edit on 3-12-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Don't forget Texas and Arizona.

But yeah you have it far more figured out than the OP.

The immigrants are the scapegoat.

We are subsidizing states and private businesses growth by paying welfare to the people who are getting paid less than legally allowed in many cases.

Basically the cheaters are the employers. We are literally subsidizing them. Yet nobody is talking about how the employers are the single biggest factor here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join