It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China agrees to make fentanyl a controlled substance after talks with US at G20 summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

The new designation for the synthetic opioid drug means people in China who sell fentanyl to the US "will be subject to China's maximum penalty under the law," according to a statement from the White House.

This is a very big deal. I am for the legalization of natural drugs but since we have this war on drugs this underground fentanal is extremely dangerous stuff. The problem is that it is used by underground markets where people can go online buy a pill press and some tylonal and buy fentonal from china or other places and create fake pills that are much more dangerous than anything created in a managed and regulated laboratory. Big win for America and Potus if we actually see a reduction in the amount of this stuff mailed to the usa.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 5,500 people died of synthetic opioid overdoses in 2014, most of them related to fentanyl. That's an 80% increase over the number of deaths reported in 2013. Last year, the Drug Enforcement Administration issued a national alert stating that "drug incidents and overdoses related to fentanyl are occurring at an alarming rate." In 2013, the Drug Enforcement Administration made 942 fentanyl seizures; in 2014, it made 3,344.

Many of the overdoses we see come from black market pills that look exactly like the real stuff but often have dosage mistakes and it is very much a gamble when buying off the streets. I am all for people having access to drugs at a price that resembles reality but until steps are taken toward that goal then getting this stuff off the streets is a good thing because the lack of over site and the skill level of dealers.

Good Job Potus. You have a long way to go!

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Big deal. This will make zero difference. I will guarantee that.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Now they need to make the precursors controlled b/c it's already being made in mexico from what I read. IDK if it is Mexican chemists or Chinese they have brought over...

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheOne7

They will just change the name and business as usual.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

China and the United States have "agreed to take active measures to strengthen cooperation on law enforcement and narcotics control," including the control of fentanyl-type substances, it said.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They also outlawed steroids, xanax, speed and others but is still available just hidden under diff names

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
There is a large demand for steroids xanax and speed...

There is not so much of a demand for a drug posing as other drugs.

People want the real deal and not deadly posers.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheOne7

You obviously don't know the mentality of an opiate addict. They want the cheapest, strongest, easiest to get, period. These aren't uppers and downers, this is dope. People want the real deal? Nah, they buy little bags of mystery powder and inject it into their veins.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

wow, buried head in sand, huh?

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

ideally yes, they do, but when 1g = 1KG of heroin (pure H, not cut), it is so much easier to ship the 1g and avoid customs

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Now they need to make the precursors controlled b/c it's already being made in mexico from what I read. IDK if it is Mexican chemists or Chinese they have brought over...

The precursors are controlled substances and the synthesis requires dangerous chemicals. It doesn't look very hard to make and finding a guide took me about 30 seconds just now. But the precursors would also have to be synthesized or acquired.

One of the precursors to the precursor is used by the pharmaceutical industry....the other seems like you'd need to make it also....

I don't think this is the kind of thing garage chemists are making. If it's being made somewhere it's well organized and funded.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Of coarse this is just one source and yes Mexico is a route for the fentanyl also but cutting down at the source will save lives short term. This is a good first step but now we reach the divide where people that believe they can stop drug use all together meet the reality that usage will never be stopped and the best way to move forward is to allow for people to do what they want while at the same time creating a safe environment for users and limit to substances with less deadly effects and while reducing prices and having completely known quantities and ingredients.

My personal opinion is that users that are not doing such for pain should have to eat and exercise. That will likely not go far but one would be amazed at what proper diet and exercise can do for your health and also lower your tolerance levels and increase absorption rates. You could even take it further and say if you want to take a certain drug then you first have to grow this plant. It is amazing the perspective one can gain while waiting on plants to grow in order to get a fix.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

So china waits till lots of people are addicted to this then makes a law that will allow them to jail anyone caught with it.

How is this good for freedom?

How is this good for the united states?

How is this good for you or for me?

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

might want to look into the dangers of this drug. It's way worse than heroin. If you want a real rush, play Russian roulette. Likely have the same life expectancy as that drug.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I do not see that china waited for anything. Let us be clear this is a win for trump. He got this done and china would have been happy to do nothing. This is a win for america if we can cut down on the amount of fentanyl being sold as other drugs underground and often leading to unwanted overdoses. However this is dependent now on our ability to keep the stuff from coming in through the legal ports from mexico. It is a great first step.

We can not stop people from wanting to do drugs or from doing drugs but we can limit poser drugs and that is what this does.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't care how dangerous it is the war on drugs doesn't work .

It is not the governments job to tell me what I can put in my body.

I want more freedom in this world not less.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

if we can cut down on the amount of fentanyl being sold as other drugs underground

Why can't they just cut down on the main drugs like heroin I wonder?
Why do you think if they can't stop the heroin, or any other drug, that they will somehow be able to stop this drug?

This is just a means of control it has nothing to do with saving lives.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It’s just lip service. The labs in China that make all the fentanyl that comes into the U.S. were never legal in the first place.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: network dude

I don't care how dangerous it is the war on drugs doesn't work .

It is not the governments job to tell me what I can put in my body.

I want more freedom in this world not less.

This x1000. When people try to legislate morality it causes more problems than existed in the first place.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It would take a decent sized garden full of poppies to get one or two doses of opium and it'd be unrefined, probably not even smokable, just edible.

Eating healthy and exercising won't lower the tolerance. You can't force people to do it anyways. Their mentality is probably that dosing on an empty stomach hits you harder. When someone gets to the point of physical addiction to injected fentanyl lol, sorry for laughing, the withdrawals are utterly brutal. Anyone who could get free medical treatment for the detox like a tapering dosage each day for a short while without it blemishing their records permanently would line up for it. Having legal shooting galleries is a bad idea. You can't condone this, you can't stop it but it's not acceptable. While we're at it, let's make legal prostitution permits or have a movement to legalize it in a state or a few like Marijuana. Why not? People are going to do it anyway. Marijuana is not an example it's a good exception but you get the idea.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join