It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another pilot axed for phalic displays, this time a B52 squadron CO

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well I figured someone else would have posted this up so I’ll quickly share the latest in the penial display-gate, this time the brass have gotten a little ridiculous in relieving a B52 squadron commanding officer for drawing male reproductive parts not in contrails or Radar with their flight path like prior incidents but for merely drawing it in the B52s navigation display for giggles. Now I can see reprimanding when pilots are wasting fuel and resources to make displays of genitals that can be seen by the public but a little horse play in the flight computer that hurts no one and not a big deal IMO shouldn’t be given such a harsh punishment, a little NJP or the likes sure but taking away a pilots wings over it is going a bit far let’s face the boys need to blow off steam and this is one of the more innocent ways of doing so and blown way out of proportions.

Milit ary.com article

A commander of a B-52 Stratofortress squadron at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, was recently relieved from duty after sexually explicit and phallic drawings were discovered inside the bomber's cockpit screens during a recent deployment, Military.com has learned. A command-directed investigation anticipated to be released by Air Force Global Strike Command in coming weeks will show that Lt. Col. Paul Goossen was removed from command of the 69th Bomb Squadron Nov. 27 because penis drawings were discovered on a moving map software displayed on the nuclear-capable B-52's Combat Network Communication Technology (CONECT), according to a source familiar with the incident.

This is getting ridiculous now and IMO will start to effect crew morale as these innocent little shenanigans are getting come down one very hard and honestly I think this over zealous political correctness is just absurd. Got a bit of a giggle from me when I saw it was the 69th bomber squadron.

Anyone else think this going a bit far? Who is being harmed enough to justify ruining careers over?
edit on 12/1/2018 by BigDave-AR because: Fixed linky

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I agree. We spend way too much money on the military for this to be even an issue. It's time for America to stand down and cap the military budget around 500 billion.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i has always held the view :

the type of mindset that allows a person to do " certain tasks " - comes with " baggage " that will offend someone

the " offended " - will never step up and do the " task " themselves - but still wants to bitch and whine

my advice - get over it

and to quote mr orwell :

you sleep sound in your bed , because .....................

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I'd expect an Officer to behave professionally on the job. And so does the US Air Force it seems.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Killing people is ok but drawing a penis is going to damn far!

Patton and MacArthur are rolling in their graves..

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The PC culture has hit the Air Force hard. While deployed they set a record for combat missions without a maintenance cancellation, and no one in the squadron had complained about anything else about his leadership. In fact according to what I've heard, squadron morale was actually good. But since they found drawings on a display they had to remove him.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Maybe it's the inner soul trying to express "make love not war"

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
That's why I don't join the Military.

Your discipline training is a joke and nothing more than a dog and pony show.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

I'd expect an Officer to behave professionally on the job. And so does the US Air Force it seems.

What’s next clipping wings for tasteless doodles on the back of a napkin in the officer’s club? You don’t think the punishment is wee bit out of kilter for a silly drawing on a map display that was not for all the public to see and thus reflect poorly on the military? IMO making this big of a deal out of it reflects much more poorly on the military than boys will be boys incidents. Like I said IMO at most this should have been handled with a non judicial punishment like docking pay, going overboard with the PC punishments just draws more attention and is much more harmful than quietly dealing an appropriate punishment.

ETA The CO wasn’t even the one that was making the lewd drawings in fact he was attempting to stop it just apparently the brass felt it was too little too late and thus punished the commander.

Goossen attempted to stop the rampant drawings, investigators stated. He wrote on the unit's whiteboard, "Stop drawing d---s," listing locations where phallic drawings had been found. The commander ultimately "acknowledged his failures" to stop the problem even though he stated he was unaware of the "depth and content" of the drawings within the cockpit's CONECT software until it was revealed at the end-of-deployment roll call.

edit on 12/1/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The PC culture has hit the Air Force hard. While deployed they set a record for combat missions without a maintenance cancellation, and no one in the squadron had complained about anything else about his leadership. In fact according to what I've heard, squadron morale was actually good. But since they found drawings on a display they had to remove him.

Is it just me or do you think that these overzealous punishments are much more harmful to morale than the actions themselves?

ETA that’s damn impressive considering the age of the old workhorses.
edit on 12/1/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Do they think people are more likely to want to join the military when they discipline stupid crap like this? They are cutting their own throat with this PC BS.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

edit on 1-12-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
He should have drawn two penises on the same page, then he'd be a hero.

Or perhaps a unicorn instead. Oh wait those are phallic too!

Next they'll have to ban the missiles and bombs because they're shaped like dingalings.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The further wussification of society.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Can’t leave out the father of SAC good ole’ Curtis LeMay.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Morale has been dead for far too many years to count. It amazes me to see the disconnect between the leadership and troops though. They're spending millions on pilot retention and trying to figure out why pilots are getting out in such high numbers. Then they turn around and do something like this. Why would anyone want to stay in when your career gets destroyed despite having an outstanding record, because someone drew a dick on a display.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

LeMay got up and walked out after they ended SAC.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Stupid from both sides. Maybe aspire for a drawing of something other than a prick.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

You forget, this is the snowflake generation. They are offended by any and everything real or imagined.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join