It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade concentrated bone broth. Freeze in cubes for later

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
OK, so I can't take full credit for this, shout out to my sister.

Here we go.

5 cups low sodium chicken broth.

1 pound beef soup bone(s) with marrow.

4 cloves garlic halved and lightly smashed.

4 stalks celery halved and split.

4 medium carrots halved and split.

1 medium sweet yellow onion quartered.

2 sarrano or jalapeños peppers halved and split (de-seeded)

Fresh cracked black pepper to taste.

Any spice to taste.

Splash red wine. (optional)

Start with broth, add beef soup bone, reduce.

Add all veggies (except garlic and jalapeños or sarrano)

In separate pan, splash of olive oil, then garlic and choice of pepper. Par cook, make sure not to fully sauté. Then add to stock pot.

Render everything to liking. Add water if cooking longer to keep liquid volume.

Cool.

Put in ice trays, freeze.

Put cubes in freezer burn proof bagging or packaging.

Boom. Premium broth bubes at your disposal.

Please add any suggestions, this is an idea in the making.

I have made the broth as described and it's incredible.... But by God we can improve.

edit on 30-11-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I use grassfed marrow bones to make my bone broth. About three pounds of them. I boil it for many hours, adding a little vinegar helps it. My combination of veggies is about what you got, but a couple of small chili peppers instead of Jalapenos. but I never put any canned broth in it, that stuff is not even real. The organic chicken broth is chicken broth I think, it is not much more expensive. but I would rather make my own.

But I don't add anything but spices, veggies, and water to the beef bone broth. I even toss some potatoes in the pot to boil them and will take the potatoes out and mash them with butter during the day, once the water is hot you can use it to boil things. I always add cabbage too, but that is because of my need for an epilepsy medicine.

Real bone broth makes great french onion soup. The wife and I really like that with bone broth. I will freeze it in pint plastic containers to make a stock for soups. I boil it for about twelve hours, I guess it takes longer if you do not use a little vinegar. I also make lots of soup out of cartilagenous soup bones, but that is different, that juice is not as good as marrow bone juice for the french onion soup.

Try tossing some potatoes after a few hours in the pot and boil for about an hour, a little salt and pepper and loads of butter on them after you mash them, having a tiny bit of juice from the pot. Mmmmm, way better that way. The kids and grandkids really like those.
edit on 30-11-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I run the whole pot through a strainer to rid the broth of the veggies and bones before using or freezing. Is that what you do too?

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm in agreement with Rickymouse that you need more bones, like 3-4 lbs for a large pot. This video covers all the basics an altho I prefer to roast the bones before hand, I also have no problem using more than just beef bones.

THIS is my go-to for a basic broth. Altho I substitute a cheap chunk of fatty beef roast, since beef shanks are pretty "spendy". Because , personal preference, I add carrots & onion, marjoram, some white pepper, but wait to add the garlic (lots of garlic!) after initial cooking when I'm using the broth for a meal.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I shouldnt have called it bone broth in the title.

You're exactly right, it's not.

Yours sounds incredible and is true to the roots.

I supposed I make an all purpose broth. I love to cook and sometimes I just need a little concentrated flavor.

Also I got a wisdom tooth out yesterday so I'm experimenting haha..

But yes I strain at the end.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I make soups at least once a week, most times I make a couple of big pots a week though. I make chicken soups and various beef soups the most, but do make soups like potato leak and bean or pea soups too. I got a couple of two quart thermos pots to use to bring it to the kids. I need to get a couple more, the kids are bad at remembering to return them.

Woops, they are three quart thermos, not a two quart. www.amazon.com...=sr_1_22/143-5109283-0053022?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1543681137&sr= 1-22&keywords=thermo+pot

They work good for transporting hot or cold stuff to picnics and family meals.

edit on 1-12-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Keep the thermos for yourself haha.

If I give something to someone l, I put it in a Mason jar, if I don't get it back, no big deal.

Tis the season for soups though, my next one will probably be Italian wedding. I'm going to try and do that one from scratch through and through.

Thank you for your tips though. I'm really just now starting to explore the realm of soups. So much flavor, high yield low cost. It's a great area of food.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Keep the thermos for yourself haha.

If I give something to someone l, I put it in a Mason jar, if I don't get it back, no big deal.

Tis the season for soups though, my next one will probably be Italian wedding. I'm going to try and do that one from scratch through and through.

Thank you for your tips though. I'm really just now starting to explore the realm of soups. So much flavor, high yield low cost. It's a great area of food.

My daughter and granddaughter already know that if they do not get the thermos back to me they do not get soup. I learned to just dump the soup into their pot with my oldest daughter, she never seems to get the pots back to us. As far as mason jars, the kids have been trained to give them back or they don't get any jam next time. If you make this clear, they return the jars, even my brother and his wife return the jars. I get about thirty quarts of local fresh picked fully ripe strawberries every year and make lots of jam, using only pure cane sugar when making them. Thirty pints and twenty half pints do not last long. They have no control, they gobble it up so I try to give a pile at first, then give more around Christmas. We also make cherry jam from the tart cherries on my brothers tree and also put some of those up in the deepfreeze for cherry pies and bars in the winter. I go pick blueberries too, but we have bad luck with making blueberry jam so just put them in two and four cup freezer bags for pies and cakes. I just pick about six cups of blackberries, a little bit in a blueberry pie makes them really good, but too much and they taste too strong. A half a cup per pie is perfect mixed in with the blueberries.

The biggest thing with that thermos is making sure to take out the seal when you wash it and cleaning the seal groove and the lid properly. Making sure to put the seal back in with the open end down or it gets full of the soup. If you snap the locks free without holding them it can break the latch too, that happened to us, but we got a free pot for that, one of our pots only has three of the latches but it works for some things yet. The wife and I were talking, we are thinking of getting two more for our Christmas present to each other. It is easier than getting after the kids to bring back the pots. You also have to leave the top loose and calked if you put the soup in the fridge, or it will be hot yet eight hours later...that is not good.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

BEAUTIFUL 3 quart thermos!!
Never knew they made such things, Have the wide mouth thermos for work an the Stanley travel mug, but WOW!
Thanks for the link!

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Very cool, I'm trying to get into things I can spend a Sunday cooking so I don't have to do as much during the week.

Do you ever do habenaro jam? Killer on a bagle with cream cheese.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Very cool, I'm trying to get into things I can spend a Sunday cooking so I don't have to do as much during the week.

Do you ever do habenaro jam? Killer on a bagle with cream cheese.

I like hot, but suffer with it. I put a few drops of tabasco sauce or two tiny super hot chilis in my soups which really increases the flavor of the broth. But I cannot use a lot. A few drops of tabasco sauce or hot something along with some onion and garlic keep certain good chemistries from breaking down in soups. You need to keep veggies in the soup at all time also to keep the boiling point below two hundred and five degrees, lower is actually better, a hundred ninety five works better but it sometimes is hard to keep it that low when you have different chemistries involved. With just meat in the pot the temperature of boiling is about two hundred and eight degrees, some nutrients are broken down. Our tap water here boils at about the 212 boiling point which is weird that it is close to what the actual temp they say is. I have seen it vary by two or three degrees

new topics

top topics

join