It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMPF Records - DD-214 Replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So, through a series of unfortunate events I've lost my long version DD-214. I requested a replacement from the National Archives using eVetRecs. After a few days I received an e-mail saying that they had not received my records and had forwarded the request to the Navy Personnel Command in Millington, TN. After about ten days I requested a status update and have not received one. I've known other veterans who have received there DD-214s in as little as a few weeks to a month, and other veterans who had to wait months to get their replacement.

I've looked around and have seen that there are research companies who will send someone in person using the veteran's signature as a sort of power of attorney to get the DD-214 practically same day or within the week.

My question is would I as the veteran requesting my own forms be able to do the same? I could drive there within a day, possibly lodge somewhere, and it wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience. It would actually be cheaper than paying a research company to send someone in my stead.

I just don't know if the Navy Personnel Command is actually situated inside of a base or not. If it is I most likely wouldn't be able to get onto the base, because the only people who are allowed to enter into a base are retirees or people who still work on said base for whatever reason.

I would simply just call, but it is after the Navy's working hours and they won't be back until Monday, and if the fine former or current military people here could give me some good information that would be greatly appreciated. Even better if there are some PS/YNs or mid to upper GS rated employees that could give me some insight.

And as always my PM box is always open.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

I would recommend getting in touch with a VSO in your area. A VFW or state veteran's association. Sounds like what you really need is a navigator around this process.

www.va.gov...

These are all free. Before you shell out money for anything talk to a VSO first.
edit on 30 11 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was advised to take it to the county courthouse and have it recorded. The only way to loose it then is if the courthouse burned down. 1974 discharge.
edit on 30-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Is it out of place to ask why you need to have it? If it's to receive VA benefits, when I started going to the VA for medical facilities, I didn't need it. I applied and was accepted with no problems. Hasn't been one time in 44 years I needed it.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks for shooting me that link. I guess I just need to figure out which one to contact.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

I gotta give local VSOs a call on Monday for some GI bill related stuff.

They can be really helpful navigating the paperwork and all the secret codes that are used for everything veteran related.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

That was one of those things I always planned on doing, but never got around to. I just kept both forms of my DD-214 with my other valuables, and through some negligence lost the important copy.

It's for a variety of things. I want to use my G.I. Bill instead of just sitting on it. Also, I'm changing careers, and for some dumb reason they want me to provide a copy of my DD-214 to show my honorable discharge instead of running a background check. I guess they want to save money or something.

new topics

top topics

join