It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

. . . Baby Its Cold Outside. . . . . banned

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: BlackJackal

Yes and it is important to know that many people like yourself that probably lean left wing feel this way

Certain radio stations have been "banning" certain songs since the invention of the radio.

A station in Cleveland Ohio choosing to do so seems unremarkable.

This conversation appears better suited for any teenager, ever in history and their parents.

It is ridiculous, if not desperate, to make it a political discussion.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

You'd be right if the reason for the banning wasn't political in nature.

But it was.

So you're not.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

How was the banning political in nature?

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Extorris

I'd read the OP for starters.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I don't understand how some people don't understand that this could be a precursor to all sorts of "banning" and protecting folks from their own thought processes.
It always starts with one.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

A figgy pudding is any sort of traditional English pudding.

We actually aren't having it this year, but I do make it occasionally for our family because our roots are English.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I bet it is delicious, I've never had it.

And to add, if I go shopping at the mall and they are not playing Baby it's cold outside...I'm gonna be pissed!

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
From what I understand, private companies are free to decide to take a song like this off the radio or terminate social media accounts based on a violation of the TOS. In this situation, it is still possible to get the content from somewhere else. If the government bans something, it is much worse...

Not to say that it is good to censor speech like this. But companies think of their image sometimes, and when they are approached with a complaint from a customer like this, they have a choice to make.

I prefer not censoring content. But it is becoming more and more prevalent these days to do so! Like look at this song, I can see why it goes against the values of leftists. The guy is trying to coerce his female friend to have sex against her will.

Okay, so should we ban it for that? I think companies should have the right to choose, but what happens if they are kind of a monopoly like Google or Facebook? What if Google started censoring searches?

If I ran a content providing company, I wouldn't ban stuff. I would prefer the tactic of flagging false news or fact-checking pop-up windows or tagging things as offensive.
edit on 01pmSat, 01 Dec 2018 16:16:44 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 01pmSat, 01 Dec 2018 16:17:04 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

So censorship is OK because more and more people are doing it?

The point as discussed all through this thread is that because some people want to interpret this song through their modern lens, they think it's all rapey. The song itself was never written with that in mind. In fact, I've posted it's history and digging into the context of the time it was written for, there was no way this would have been construed as a "rape" song or even a song about someone trying to pressure a girl into staying the night in a serious way because that just didn't happen, not with good girls.

Sure, he's flirting with her, trying to get her stay, but they both know she won't.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I disagree with you about assuming she won't stay the night. I suppose it is possible she wouldn't.

Other than that, I don't think censorship is okay, I was only trying to point out that it is legal in some cases and I wanted to share the company's perspective. I also wanted to point out that the content can still be accessed elsewhere.

I don't agree with the trend, we'll have to see where it goes.
edit on 01pmSat, 01 Dec 2018 16:20:49 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People, you all need to get drunk, get laid, and lighten the #### up.

Really.

This right here x1000.

Unfortunately, we might be talking about incel types.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the wolf's unrelenting pressure for the mouse to stay in spite of her repeated suggestions that she should go home,[5] others have noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiancé, and that the mouse states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.[5][6]

en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, she's saying she'd like to but she can't. This is due to your not getting the time period of the song, and this is again why so many want to ban it. They judge it based on their mores and not the ones of the song itself.

This is song a slightly naughtier version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice?"
edit on 1-12-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Whether you're on the left or the right, I think we all stand together on this one. Utterly retarded.

Thankfully it's a tiny minority of individuals craving attention, validation, and significance.

I remember my needlessly indignant late teens too.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: Bloodworth

...oh... you really believe that?

In NYC there are plenty of roads, bars, clubs, and 7-11s that at night fall you will be attacked just for being white and nothing is never said.

95% of moderators ban people and work to scold posters who critizese a only a handful of cultures.

There are numerius words you cannot use or you would be banned when speaking about certain cultures .
There are zero for white people
You would have to through long lengths to get banned on Twitter for threatening white people.

The whole thing is a double standard

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
dbl

edit on 1-12-2018 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
"Baby, It's Cold Outside" is at the bottom of the list.
7 more need to go.
#8 "Baby It's Cold Outside" - Dean Martin & Doris Day

#7 "Summer Nights" - Olivia Newton John & John Travolta
#6 "Brown Sugar" - Rolling Stones
#5 "Father Figure" - George Michael
#4 "Maggie May" - Rod Stewart
#3 "My Sharona" - The Knack
#2 "Young Girl" - Gary Puckett
#1 "Possession" - Sarah McLachlan

8 Romantic Songs You Didn't Know Were About Rape

www.cracked.com/article_18431_8-romantic-songs-you-didnt-know-were-about-rape.html

edit on 1-12-2018 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Extorris

I'd read the OP for starters.

I did.

How (again) is this a political issue?

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Would they ban this song too ? Either way it might cheers you up..

Language warning lots of f's and c's,

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

It's not my responsibility to have you understand.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Obviously you don't think "having someone "offended" can determine what others can listen to" is a problem.

I can only assume you are for the removal of "offensive" statues and the burning of "offensive" books and the silencing of "offensive" speech.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

No 9
Every breath you take - The Police

No10
I'm not in love - 10cc

edit on 1-12-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join