It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something changed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I need the ATS community to help me find some information.

Last year my mother was kicked off medicaid for making to much money. Her ONLY income is her disability payments she gets for her dwarfism. She makes under 17k a year but that was just to much.

But last week she found out that back in september the government changed the amounts that qualify and now she is back on medicaid.

My question is who in the government specifically changed the rules on how much income is to much.

I want to know who to thank for that.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
She probably barely qualified and got a little raise that shoved her over or they raised the amount up or something. That happens with medicaid. One dollar too much can disqualify a person, kind of sounds weird, but that is the way it goes. There are a lot of things that can jeopardize your medicaid and SSI. There should be some kind of buffer down, but no, you either qualify or you don't.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

they raised the amount up

That's what happened. I just want to know who "they " are.

Are you saying that it was normal bureaucracy changes? Would have happened no mater who our elected officials are?

I was thinking maybe trump had done something good for the disabled.....

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

State legislators make qualifying Medicaid decisions.

For exmple:

In a floor vote yesterday, the Assembly unanimously agreed to make podiatric services a Medi-Cal benefit.

Podiatry Gets Vote as Medi-Cal Benefit californiahealthline.org...

edit on 30-11-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: rickymouse

they raised the amount up

That's what happened. I just want to know who "they " are.

Are you saying that it was normal bureaucracy changes? Would have happened no mater who our elected officials are?

I was thinking maybe trump had done something good for the disabled.....

They have committees that investigate cost of living then try to figure out a way to distort the figures so we lose in relation to inflation. It does not matter which party, those people been doing that through both sides controling politics.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Its the state you live in....your states budget.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I see so it was the state of florida that decided.

I didn't think to look for info from my state.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

The lesson to learn here is stop voting for Republicans.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

???

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Has little to do with it. The numbers fluctuate up or down depending on lots of things that have nothing to do with the party in power.

The governance of Florida hasn't really changed, so in this case, that has zippo to do with anything.

The posters are correct who say that just having as much as $1 over the threshold loses everything for you. That's one of the bad things about the social safety net. It creates a trap and not a means of weaning people off of it. You get dependent and you lose far than you can compensate for to work your way out of it.

They call it means tested, but it's really not.
edit on 30-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Who knows who makes these dumb-ass rules,

A few years back, I was employed working remodeling and odd jobs and my wife was substitute teaching. We were waiting for an opportunity to open up (which subsequently has). We were way under the poverty line, though we didn't suffer and didn't take any assistance of any kind. We've always been good at living within our means.

We went to a state agency to look into some kind of compensated health insurance under the Obamacare mandate, not because we wanted it but because were supposedly mandated by law. (We've always enjoyed very good health and hardly ever go to the doctor.)

We thought it pretty funny when we were told that we were too "poor" to receive any kind of gov't help or assistance for health coverage. We were exempt from fulfilling the Obamacare mandate because of our low income level, but we just couldn't get any kind of assistance because we were too damn poor.

Again, I didn't care. We only applied because we were legally required to, but how in hell does that work? Who decided that?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Looks who's blindly caught up in the right left paradigm. I give you a hint sir...they are the one and same party just a left and right version..you have no real choice.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

What state do you live in? Because it may have to do with the decision your state made regarding the Medicaid expansion proposed by Obamacare. If your state declined expanding (by not raising the states' maximum income threshold), then you probably fell into the social safety net abyss. Basically, you may have been to 'poor' to receive help from Obamacare, but not poor enough to meet your states Medicaid threshold. It's a f'ing mess...
edit on 1-12-2018 by DakotaSioux because: typo

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DakotaSioux

It is but the Medicaid expansion was a fiscal trap for the states. Early on, the feds were picking up a large part of that expansion, but time they left states holding the bag for it. If you live in a state who couldn't afford to do it, then what was the state supposed to do?

Most people in low tax, low cast of living states like that, and Medicaid exansion was going to radically change that status if those states bit on it.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

It is somewhere around $17.5 k a year for a single and about $21.5k per married couple, and last years income tax, plus last 2 paychecks or last 2 months income proof.

Veries state to state.....ETA...the cost of living raise may have put her total below and enough to requalify
edit on 1-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: Oop

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DakotaSioux
a reply to: incoserv

What state do you live in? Because it may have to do with the decision your state made regarding the Medicaid expansion ...

The great state of Louisiana. And, yeah, I'm sure that something like that happened.

Yes, it's a mess. An unconscionable mess.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh, I completely know what you're talking about. I live in South Dakota, which has so few state imposed taxes, it is kind of a tax haven state of sorts. If we would have expanded Medicaid as a state, we would have ended up with a hefty new bill we'd have to scramble to take care of... A state income tax would more than likely be one of the proposed solutions, and boy howdy... "state income tax"... Them be fightin' words 'round these parts!!!* Not to mention, we already have state video lottery - the crack coc aine of gambling...

*the 'hillbilly talk' was added for dramatization

Anyway, I was only attempting to inform incoserv about what - possibly - caused him to be "too poor" for Obamacare benefits. And, as far as the 'f-ing mess' part, I was merely expressing my feelings on the fact that many families end up in a similar situation. It's really too bad it even has to be an issue!
edit on 1-12-2018 by DakotaSioux because: i can't spill grat

top topics

join