It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for info---Dead Sea Scrolls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Back in the late 80's maybe early 90's I heard on the news, that the Catholic church was to release secret information found from the Dead sea scrolls, that would so drastically change Christianity it would not be released until the year 2000.then when 2000 rolled around, I heard that things had not progressed as thought and that the information would continue to be suppressed......I have thought of this so many time, wondering what type of information would they of found that would so drastically change the Christian religion? I have tried to search for this and can't find reference to it....did anyone else hear of this or know anything about it? I thought that I may of posted this here before but it didn't come up on a search....
Aaaaaaaanyway, if anyone else has info on this, please let me know.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I never heard of this but I heard theories close to it. When I was a protestant the preacher said that the Dead Sea scrolls would bring down the Catholic Church because of what they said. Well after doing research it is the opposite. The only thing I heard is that many theologians from the Catholic Church are studying the scrolls because they support the trinity. But I am curious of this post and will search for more about it.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I do know that much of the "Angel Scroll" is not released, and that the church has tried to say it is forged, though scholars say that if is, it's a very good one....it pretty much describes technology and perhaps UFO activity...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have a copy of the death sea scrolls and for what I know they are all is there to be, yes the church hold them for 40 years but they are already unveiled.

To me the most striking part of it is the references to the birth signs, and they quite accurate.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It is not so much the Vatican in control of what is released but the Israeli Antiguities Authority. When the DSS were first uncovered their importance was underestimated and sold off to various collectors. Once the translations were being known and the importance of same surfacing, the IAA set out to purcahse whatever it could, and promptly restricted access or embargoed disclosure as well as claiming sole ownership of new artifacts. Only a few scrolls remain outside of their possession.

The RCC attempted to publish that which they could spin as proof of Jesus, and Israel that of the OT. Hence we have so little corroboratng both. It seems the two came to some understanding as to disclosure, for the NT is entirely dependent on the OT and if that should be proven false, then Christianity falls with it.

One day, another discovery will be made and published before these two can get their horns on them.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
prior to the 68-69 war the DSS were the property of Jordan as i recall and in
the control of a research group that was mostly priests of the RCC. One notable
exception was Morton Smith ( the lost gospel of Matt.) until as i recall the mid
70s the department for lack of a better term that controled the research and
translation of the DSS was the newly renamed Holy Office of The Inquisition,
I cant bring the new name to mind right this minute. The last I read there were still something like 10,000 fragments and pieces untranslated.

There was a story CA1968-73 of a spook photographing a large scroll of some import, then the scroll and the photos disappearing and something happening to the spook. I dont recall the ending of the story though. anyone?

edit to add:
In 1965 Pope Paul VI, responding to many complaints, reorganized the Holy Office and renamed it the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by stalkingwolf]

new topics

top topics

join