It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumb Question?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I should know the answer to this, and I feel kind of stupid for asking, but...

What is the difference between 'stock' and 'broth'?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I should know the answer to this, and I feel kind of stupid for asking, but...

What is the difference between 'stock' and 'broth'?

Bones vs veggie or meats
edit on 30-11-2018 by Muninn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

So if you cook down a turkey carcass with bones and veggies, is it stock, or broth?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingclaydiskI have used both, the stock is more plain than the broth most times. I gave up buying broths, they are mostly just chemicals these days. I just boil bones now or save some juice out of the roast pan to use in stuff. We do have some organic chicken broth in our stock though, usually for making some soups like potato leak soup

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Muninn

So if you cook down a turkey carcass with bones and veggies, is it stock, or broth?

Stock

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It would be a stock, bones are always used in a stock, a broth can be made with bones but it isn't needed.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I smell a conspiracy here!

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Okay, then what's bullion?

And how is it different than broth?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

And how is it different than broth?

Stock is more intense than broth, having been cooked slowly to extract as much flavor as possible from meat or fish bones and aromatics. ... Bouillon is often used synonymously with broth. The term also pertains to the condensed-cube and powder forms of broth, used to add a burst of flavor to some recipes.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

In Britain, "broth" can refer to a soup which includes solid pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables, whereas "stock" would refer to the purely liquid base.[11] Traditionally, according to this definition, broth contained some form of meat or fish; however, nowadays it is acceptable to refer to a strictly vegetable soup as a broth.

Stock versus broth wiki

Bouillon is the French name for stock or broth. But...stock has changed. If you use those awful nasty stock cubes/bouillon cubes from Knorr, they are all full of mono-sodium glutamate and a bucket load of salt.

Stock is made from bones, broth is made using meat scraps and possibly bones. At least, that is my understanding.
edit on 30/11/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Stock trumps broth. Homemade trumps store bought. Bouillon is to be used sparingly and only as a last resort or flavor booster, and then we usually use the paste versions, not the dried cubes.

And when we make stock, we always have bones, either the full bird carcass or beef bones of some kind on board depending on what sort of stock we're making.
edit on 30-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The can both have bones, it's solely on the ratio of bones to other ingredients, stock will have more bones.

edit on 30-11-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
ok - what do ypu call - the " result " of simmering carrot , cellery , onion and spices / herbs ????????????????

stock or broth ???

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Broth.

Celery.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

One of life's little mysteries is what I'm getting out of this thread.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I am guessing the simple answer is homemade vs. factory made. I could be way wrong though. I like to cook, not very good at it and tend to make a mess of our kitchen... Thank god for lovely wives lol...

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Bouillon is both isn't it? Just a word borrowed from the French. Many languages use Bouillon as a word. English has more distinction apparently.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

I used to watch my Nan make stock and then make gravy with it when I was young. In the UK they sell/sold chickens with the giblets placed inside the bird in a plastic bag. The giblets (neck and/or gizzard I think) are placed in water and simmered for an hour or two with salt, pepper, bay leaf, onion, etc. Remove solids, reduce, add meat drippings from whatever you just roasted and then make gravy, but I don't remember the extra gravy making step any more.

The gravy was gorgeous.

edit on 30/11/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Little cubes. If you have a lot you can be a bullionaire.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Why didn't you just Google your question? Instead of asking a bunch of people you don't know?

new topics

top topics

join