It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska earthquake: Strong 7.2 quake ROCKS city of Anchorage - Tsunami Warning

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Nope...just a regular Joe like you & me. They have related that when one area has a quake; another area will also have a quake.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I have the type with the hinge that sort of locks in place so you have to pull a little before they open. Saved all our dishes for the most part.

Open shelves in the pantry, so it all came down.

I think one solution would be a board at the front of the shelves maybe an inch or two high.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

It took me until 5 AM to get to sleep. I could not turn my mind off. I figured out I did not want to get drunk and canned that idea. If it were warmer, I'd have spent the night in a tent in the yard to be honest.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: japhrimu

It took me until 5 AM to get to sleep. I could not turn my mind off. I figured out I did not want to get drunk and canned that idea. If it were warmer, I'd have spent the night in a tent in the yard to be honest.

Sorry to hear ya had a rough night it can definently rattle your nerves one of the reasons I’m glad I no longer live in northern Cali (or Cali full stop for that matter) I grew up pretty much right between the Hayward and sand Andreas fault lines, glad I was just a baby for the Loma Prieata Quake of ‘89 my grandpa worked 24 hour shifts out there working on the cleanup from the triple bypass that pancakes and recovering mangled bodies from crushed cars under hundreds of tons of rubble. Now I just have to worry about New Madrid ever going off big again.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

It was not the quake as much as the non stop aftershocks. I'm fine now that I've got back to work and normality returns.

We clearly were very lucky.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
We had a live update from the first responders.

Electricity has, barring a few spots, been restored around town. No reports of looting as Alaskans look out for each other due to the environment. They are claiming 7.0 M at most (still feel that the prelim is too low) but it hit below our feet (one aftershock was). Drinking water is not contaminated but if you want to boil your water you can. Sewer, airport, shipping port, and all roads, except the Glen at Eagle River, are open.

No idea on costs but they are keeping the emergency response center open until everything is back up.

Me, one junky throwing ice chunks at Walgreens trying to get drugs. Midtown smelled like a burnt out transformer.

At my buddy’ Place drinking beers and eating sushi. Keeping the dog cool!

When asked about building standards the mayor said it was the difference between more damage and how little was seen.

All in all, we have been preparing for this since the 9.2 in ‘64, even if my estimate was off (still doubt the “authorities”), we were prepared.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The boil water order is still in effect, it isn't an "if you want to" suggestion. They had at least 5 mains breeched.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As long as it doesn’t pertain to beer, I’m good! Lol!

Got home to a few broken glasses and a broken bottle of olive oil. A mess but no major damage.

The updates have been a nice touch.

One guitar was lying face down in the living room. The rack of five was fine.

Found some spices I didn’t know that I had!

Picked up the dvds and books in less than ten minutes. Meh, the kitchen needs a mopping anyway!

PSA: Beer is pretty much boiled water. Stay hydrated my friends!

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

My messes were more messy. We are now short on coffee mugs, glasses, and shelf decor. Funny thing, in the less violent quake a couple of years ago, nothing fell off shelves but the fridge unceremoniously dumped it's contents onto the kitchen floor... this one did not. It broke the GD water line to the fridge (which I finally found, explaining the puddle I had to sop up multiple times on Friday) but it didn't spill the food and condiments. It also, amazingly, didn't leave my garage any more disastrous than it already was.

The house came out of it fine. Couple cosmetic cracks, but nothing near the damage the neighbors across the road are dealing with. All 3 duplexes slid off their foundations to differing degrees... up to a foot of settlement on their east sides and major structural issues. I have a column of shower tiles to regroup and a couple of cracks to paint over. The psychological trauma my wife and kids are dealing with from the aftershocks is the worst of it.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

So, to update you on this, we ended up sleeping in the SUV in the driveway Friday night. We had some strong aftershocks around 11 PM and the cracking and popping of the house unnerved the family. The car shakes a little, but the aftershocks don't make noise in a vehicle. The family slept on an air mattress, quick fishing suicide trip style, in the back of the Expedition while I sat in the front seat and dozed. It would be nice, if the Lord decides I ever have to experience another one of these big quakes, for it to happen in the summer. I'd have just packed everyone up and headed to the river to spend a few days fishing and camping... but even I'm not crazy enough to want to ice fish while quakes are happening.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I spent the night at my friends place on the sofa drinking MaiTais and playing with the dog (who freaked out at any noise for the next 36 hours). Quick survey, no waterlines broken, no cracks in the sheet rock, TV moved by 3 inches to the left (it is an HD tubed CRT, flat screen, and weighs nearly 100 pounds!). I slid that back into place. I had the mayo jump out of the fridge but it is a plastic container and did not break. I had a Pyrex 13x9 backing dish jump from the second shelf to the floor but the thing is a tank and did not even chip!

Seems that Alaska and Fridays and Earthquakes seem to like each other! Weird huh?

Hope your homestead checks out! The last one (6.3) I heard welds popping on the beams here at work so realize it could always be worse.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

We saw the worst in the additions to the house. Our entire pantry contents were on the floor. The cabinet doors stayed shut do to some gizmo in the hinges. Cheap cabinets, but good hinges. A couple of large decorative bottles that weigh about ten pounds each went flying and one almost nailed me as I headed for the hall. We got off lucky and in this area I don't think any homes had serious damage. Those zones really seem to matter.

One employee I called Friday said his kitchen ceiling came down and everything in his cabinets flew and he had a major mess. He was so shook up he had trouble carrying on a conversation. Said he was laying on his bed trying to calm down and hoping his landlord showed up soon to check the gas. He's in a zone 4 area. I can't get him on the phone now and I suspect he may have had to find a place to stay. He's disappeared off the face of the earth and does not answer either of his cell phones.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
One employee I called Friday said his kitchen ceiling came down and everything in his cabinets flew and he had a major mess.

I have (or had, I guess) those heavy currugated plastic sheets covering the floro lights in my kitchen ceiling. Those make a hell of a racket when they fall and shatter on the floor. They were both underneath the broken mugs and glasses, so they obviously were the first things to go in the kitchen.

Fun note... my mom had given my wife an antique blown glass paperweight years ago. It's the old art deco style, about the size of a grapefruit and weights a ton. My wife has always hated it, but she never got rid of it for whatever reason. She had stashed it in our bathroom up on top of a cabinet, about 7 ft up where it collected dust and was forgotten about. It survived the fall to the bathroom floor, but left a big dent in the toilet sear lid and destroyed the toilet brush and toilet brush holder as it fell. Damn fortunate nobody was using the toilet when that happened. We're going to get rid of it now.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I think I had maybe a thousand in damage to personal items. Not bad considering. Mostly glass stuff breaking. We have moved some heavy stuff that's up high just in case.

I just found my friend and coworker. He's in the hospital and they are deciding whether to keep him or not. He has major issues including heart problems and the stress hit him hard. He has some kind of device in his heart that the hospital monitors him on and they had him come in.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Bigburgh

So, to update you on this, we ended up sleeping in the SUV in the driveway Friday night. We had some strong aftershocks around 11 PM and the cracking and popping of the house unnerved the family. The car shakes a little, but the aftershocks don't make noise in a vehicle. The family slept on an air mattress, quick fishing suicide trip style, in the back of the Expedition while I sat in the front seat and dozed. It would be nice, if the Lord decides I ever have to experience another one of these big quakes, for it to happen in the summer. I'd have just packed everyone up and headed to the river to spend a few days fishing and camping... but even I'm not crazy enough to want to ice fish while quakes are happening.

Well you have the know how to provide food to feed. Tents and blankets do less harm in an earthquake. A good campfire with a good spirit to drink sounds good.

but even I'm not crazy enough to want to ice fish while quakes are happening

But thanks for being proactive at not becoming the next participant in a DARWIN AWARD👍🤗

Wish you mods, members and public at large a fast recovery. 👍

edit on 4-12-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well, we are still having aftershocks!

We had two consecutive ones pass through just a few minutes ago. 4.8 M at 12:45 pm (local) with one that was not nearly as large. ETA: The second was 4.1 M.

Source: UAF Earthquake Center (homepage)

The news paper is reporting 2,788 (and counting) as of this morning.
edit on 6-12-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add link

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join