It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska earthquake: Strong 7.2 quake ROCKS city of Anchorage - Tsunami Warning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
OMG!

There are lines of cars getting gas now!

Uh, the worst has passed. You are not going to drive around anywhere so why worry?

It is winter time in Alaska. You shouldn’t be driving around on fumes anyway! (Frozen gas line)

So much for being prepared! I have my 3 days food and water. I can walk.

Only staple I am missing is beer!

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Family and I are fine, kids and wife are stressed but unhurt, broken glass EVERYWHERE. Seriously, anything that was on a shelf, in a cabinet, or on a table was dumped on the floor. Not a fun one.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

ARRC and the port have closed operations indefinitely, so people are probably worried about the fuel supply chain.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: six67seven

It wasn’t that bad!

It was the length that started to worry me a bit.

Compared to 9 minutes of shaking like in 2011 Tohoku quake, we got off easy!

You never really know how long a minute is until the earth won’t sit still beneath your feet!

Not that bad, eh??

One only has to review your own posts prior to your quote above to get a completely different picture from "It wasn't that bad!"

Weird...

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

This quake was centered almost right under Anchorage. It seems strange, but there have been quakes here that caused chaos in some neighborhoods while others barely noticed them. It's a combination of Anchorages size (we are spread out) and the different strata of soils and rock under all of it. Some folks sit on a mile of glacial till and some are 20 feet above bedrock.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The ground is really fluid here in my area and the damage was minimal. Some stuff on the floor a few things broken.

I was listening to the radio and someone called from the port and said normal deliveries and telling people not to run on the stores as there will be no supply problem.

We have enough food, water is fine and I have a half tank so I'll let others go nuts without me at the gas stations.

One report saying Cook Inlet widened by as much as ten feet in some areas.

This old woodframe stood up well. Damn it was loud though. Sounded like hundreds of metal garbage cans were being dropped off the roof and rolling down. I have maybe five hundred in personal losses and I think the house is OK.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Only staple I am missing is beer!

I've got bottles of Jack, Vodka, Tequila and Rum but I'm not sharing

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
Yeah, the radio caller who earlier said the port suffered sheet pile failures seems to have been a bit excitable.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

There has been a lot of that. There is enough damage without them doing that crap.

The guy who called in was a worker, working on construction at the port. He said they will be able to deal with ships on the normal schedule. Twice a week I guess. That is very good news.

Somehow my cabinets stayed closed or I'd have a pile. I did have quite a bit of stuff fall off on the floor. Not much broken though other than the glass in the pantry.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Our detailed aftershock forecast

The USGS estimates the chance of more aftershocks as follows: Within the next 1 Week until 2018-12-07 18:20:26 (UTC):

The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 3 or higher is > 99 %, and it is most likely that as few as 20 or as many as 2,200 such earthquakes may occur in the case that the sequence is re-invigorated by a larger aftershock.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 5 or higher is 78 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 23 such earthquakes may occur.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 6 or higher is 27 %, and it is most likely that as few as 0 or as many as 3 such earthquakes may occur.
The chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7 or higher is 4 %, such an earthquake is possible but with a low probability.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I thought about you when I heard the news. Glad you are okay, and well-stocked.
Stay that way, please.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Thanks!

We are good here and just hoping we don't have another larger one. Lots of aftershocks that are getting old.

No injuries or deaths and everything else can be fixed. The city is on the way to getting back to normal already.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I am very glad everyone is okay.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Sorry you guys had to go through that, but it's always cool to have first hand accounts of stuff that goes on, right here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
glad to hear ya'll are OK. Stay safe.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Anyone else find it funny that someone recently posted about beached whales and earthquakes in the Madagascar swarm thread and saying that some whales had recently beaches themselves, has me pretty intrigued.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Those here who live in Alaska, did you move there for the lifestyle or are you born and raised Alaskans?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Anyone else find it funny that someone recently posted about beached whales and earthquakes in the Madagascar swarm thread and saying that some whales had recently beaches themselves, has me pretty intrigued.

Hmmmm! Good eyes, man...

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Born in Idaho. Lived here for 18 years now. Raised around farms and ranches, so the lifestyle here was the same as I was used to. I'm actually too rural minded to be in Anchorage, so looking to move to a less populated area soon.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Looking at the list of aftershocks presently, I would say that this is characteristic of a normal main shock/aftershock sequence, which bodes well for the 7.0 not being a fore shock to a larger quake.

The Great Tohoko Quake of 2011 (M9.1) in Japan had two distinguishable fore shocks, one on the 9th (M7.3) and one on the 10th (M6.4).

As of this posting, we are at well over 100 recorded aftershocks and watching the current live spectro stream, they continue to roll in.

Keep in mind, that there could still be a M6 or so aftershock and depending on the depth, that could do nearly as much damage as has the main shock.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join