It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn your words.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Using an apostrophe to show plurality
I can only think about a box of crayons at that point...
And something about luminescence

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ
Good = God
Goodbye = God be with you
Bigot = By God
Save = Savior =Jesus

I must dispute three of those.
"Saviour" is derived from "save", not the other way round, and the theological sense of "save" is only one of many possible uses.
"Bigot" is in the dictionary as from the French, "origin unknown". It won't be "God"-related, anyway, because the French word for God is "Dieu".
"Good" and "God" are in the dictionary as derived from two different OHG (Old High German) words. The similarity is a coincidence, like the accidental similarity of "right" (opposite of "wrong") and "right" (opposite of "left").

For really acccurate information, don't rely on the internet, where speculation and hard fact get equal exposure. Go back to the old-fashioned printed books.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

No, no, no, don't you listen to the little proglodytes? Words ARE actions, and that's how they justify all their violence and temper tantrums over the mere thought that someone might come to their little campus and speak words they don't like.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Don't get me started on apostrophes! When I am in the proofreading chair, 90% of my job is wrangling commas and apostrophes that apparently no one learned how to use correctly.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

One of the best things about language is that it is constantly evolving. Older words are still viable, but new words evolve and with that evolution meanings can change. Languages tell us tales of origin, adaptation, and conquest. This isn't especially noticeable if one doesn't speak or know more than one language/dialect.

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

And then some.
Second Line.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join