It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn your words.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This is more of a pet peeve of mine than a true rant.

Words are amazing, and vastly nuanced. I recently had someone disagree with me because I used the word argument in a post.

Def of argument:

a coherent series of reasons, statements, or facts intended to support or establish a point of view

www.merriam-webster.com...

I got to thinking, what are some words that people often use in a less that correct manner?

Pervert:

to cause to turn aside or away from what is generally done or accepted

Not the usual connotation.

Who knows the difference between sarcasm or facetiousness?

We all know about pronunciation, who knows about enunciation?

Oh and irregardless, is not a generally accepted word.

What are some of your favorite words that people have forgotten the true meaning of?

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

What are some of your favorite words that people have forgotten the true meaning of?

I'll have to give my answer in the form of a dirty limerick.

There once was a lovely young lass
She had a wonderful ass
Not the kind that you think, that's soft, round, and pink
But the kind with long ears that eats grass

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Good = God
Goodbye = God be with you
Bigot = By God
Save = Savior =Jesus

Many think save means to store like on a computer but it actually means to be redeemed from sin by Jesus. Most of the words we use have totally different meanings than what we think they are. I believe this may be evil magic being used on us to control us via mainstream programming. You can see them doing it in realtime with things like the redifining of genders.
edit on 29-11-2018 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Why that dictionary?

You see, dictionaries are the literature elites method of codifying the language.

However, a language can not be codified since it is alive. It is much like a tree, it has roots, a trunk and branches.

Major branches of English are: US, England, Wales, Scottish, Irish, Australian, South African etc.

Words can have different meaning in all the branches. Spelling and pronunciation are different as well.

Language is owned by the people. The people decide how words are used, not the elite Professors.

Go ahead, invent a word ... because if it catches on ... you will not be famous ... because by the time it is recognized ... everyone would have forgotten where it started.

So many new words have been added just in my lifetime and many words have changed their meanings or had other meanings attached to them.

Language is a living entity, as it has to be.

P

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBIZZ
Good = God
Bigot = By God
Save = Savior =Jesus

Many think save means to store like on a computer but it actually means to be redeemed from sin by Jesus. Most of the words we use have totally different meanings than what we think they are. I believe this is evil magic being used on us TJ contril is via mainstream programming. You can see them doing it in realtime with the redifining of genders.

You were closest with save. Dictionary's are online now.
Good try!

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That dictionary was the one that came up in my web search for the first search, so I thought I would be consistent? Do others define it differently, or is this a case of attack the source because I cannot attack the statement?

Language dies without an agreed upon definition.
I recently had the pleasure to work with a South African puppeteer. She bought her child a bike, which than she sold to me for my children. A discussion of Fairy wheels (training wheels) reminded me how so many of us are separated by a common language.

I work with "elite Professors," why anyone is paying to study with them is beyond me.

Shakespeare originated more words and sayings than anyone other recognized, if I remember correctly.

Are we agreeing or disagreeing?

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Everyone pretty much agrees on Latin definitions. Phoenix is correct, language is a living thing. When it stops changing it dies.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Language is owned by the people. The people decide how words are used, not the elite Professors.

Try telling that to contract lawyers or judges trying to interpret our laws. People can create their own "languages" and misuse words if they wish, but they don't get to change the formal definition of words.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aryabhata

Everyone pretty much agrees on Latin definitions. Phoenix is correct, language is a living thing. When it stops changing it dies.

Everyone agrees with 2000 year old definitions, and that makes language fluid how?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Well, it is just words.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

Actions are the real deal.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

Words are what lead to actions.
But you do you.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aryabhata

Everyone agrees with 2000 year old definitions, and that makes language fluid how?

Because Latin is generally considered a dead language. It's possible to lock down the meanings of words in latin as it no longer evolves through normal day to day use.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

The rhyming scale is 2, 2 , callback.

There once was a young man from Lyme
Who married three wives at one time.
He was asked why a third
He replied ones absurd,
And bigamy sir is a crime.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I agree with you.

It's tragic but the use of words has to be like a precis surgical procedure nowadays for any wordsmith.

One miscommunication or connotation reads like a red rag to a bull for some.

To be sure, and I am older, that nowadays I respond with either, "Why do you ask that?" or "Why are you thinking that." Same time I'm rolling a smoke to be honest. I walk away from those people asking double edged questions with a "Hmm"'

Whatever answer you give will be misinterpreted and repeated out of context.

So. I purposely appear disinterested.

Never give people ammunition.

My thoughts,

Kind regards,

bally

Edit - I tried to star and flag your post but these popup ads seem to make things difficult. Bally
edit on 30-11-2018 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Well put P.

I often look for meanings or the history of terms and phrases. Some compulsion of mine.

Codifying is a good example that you have proffered.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

As a writer, I love the English Language for its sheer diversity.

So many descriptors to choose from and each has a different nuance.

As far as I am concerned there are Things, Actions and Descriptors and Fillers.

The elits complicate the language with gay abandon just so they can appear Superior, not understanding that many of us see them as pompas twits.

P

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Liberal.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Good = God
Bigot = By God
Save = Savior =Jesus

Many think save means to store like on a computer but it actually means to be redeemed from sin by Jesus. Most of the words we use have totally different meanings than what we think they are. I believe this may be evil magic being used on us to control us via mainstream programming. You can see them doing it in realtime with things like the redifining of genders.

Could be, but unfortunately words evolve over time, and many words that had a specific meaning have naturally evolved into how they are used today, not by ill intent but just ignorance, really.

Some words are even laid out phonetically, but it takes an explanation of the etymology of it before people stop to think.

Think of the letter W. Say it... UU. We've lost a lot of historic words to slang and ignorance, but I don't think there is any evil magic or population control to achieve it.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Good = God
Bigot = By God
Save = Savior =Jesus

Many think save means to store like on a computer but it actually means to be redeemed from sin by Jesus. Most of the words we use have totally different meanings than what we think they are. I believe this is evil magic being used on us TJ contril is via mainstream programming. You can see them doing it in realtime with the redifining of genders.

You were closest with save. Dictionary's are online now.
Good try!

He was correct with all of them... Some of us learn the origins of words.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I recently had the pleasure to work with a South African puppeteer. She bought her child a bike, which than she sold to me for my children.

I like the Oxford comma, and grammatically correct sentences.

edit on 30-11-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: Wrong emote.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join