It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces New Partnerships for Commercial Lunar Payload Delivery Services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Nine U.S. companies now are eligible to bid on NASA delivery services to the lunar surface through Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) contracts, as one of the first steps toward long-term scientific study and human exploration of the Moon and eventually Mars.

These companies will be able to bid on delivering science and technology payloads for NASA, including payload integration and operations, launching from Earth and landing on the surface of the Moon. NASA expects to be one of many customers that will use these commercial landing services.

www.nasa.gov...
www.theverge.com...

so, no humans for now, but it's a step in the right direction. most of those companies will need a ride and i guess that's where SpaceX will go in, so it's a win for them as well.

looks like a plan - the focus is on sustainable research and gathering experience to have permanent presence on the moon in the future. it's both reasonable and ambitious at the same time. additionally, when the whole commercial machine starts flying, there's no stopping it, regardless of who's in charge, so no government will stop NASA's progress in the future, because it would be giving up everything to the commercial sector.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

You make a very good point. If there is money to be made the private sector will figure out a cheaper better way to accomplish the mission.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Definitely a step in the right direction....

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Hope!

I hope we do and we master our way to the stars.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
How many of those companies are any where capable to performing at this point?

I suppose they buy Space-X hardware.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I believe it's just payloads, not launch services. So there are probably a few private companies that have the capability to compete.

I do like this idea. It's the same way SpaceX and Orbital Services (now Grumman) got heavily involved in space -- i.e., NASA put out the contracts for companies to provide Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (NASA's COTS Program) back in 2006 and the Commercial Crew Development Program (CCDev) in 2010, and companies like SpaceX found a reason to get involved.

I doubt SpaceX would have got into the space industry so aggressively if it weren't for NASA's COTS and CCDev programs promising money to them in return for providing space services.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Sounds like payloads delivered. So wouldn't these companies need transportation equipment. Otherwise they are just middle men for NASA, using another party's rockets. That's wouldn't be a surprise though.

Maybe a way for a handful of rich people to suck money out of the government.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: roadgravel

I believe it's just payloads, not launch services. So there are probably a few private companies that have the capability to compete.

i read it as launch services included.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) is a NASA program to contract transportation services able to send small robotic landers and rovers to the Moon. CLPS is intended to buy end-to-end payload services between Earth and the lunar surface using fixed priced contracts.

The CLPS program is being operated by NASA Headquarter's Science Mission Directorate, in-conjunction with the Human Exploration and Operations and Science Technology Mission Directorates.

NASA expects the contractors to provide all activities necessary to safely integrate, accommodate, transport, and operate NASA payloads, including launch vehicles, lunar lander spacecraft, lunar surface systems, Earth re-entry vehicles and associated resources.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So maybe now the multi-billion reworking of the SLS that is perpetually 10 years away can be cut, because of costs plus contracts and the complete rebuild and "cost saving" re use of shuttle tech that makes no sense? Not if congress realizes their pork and kick backs dry up!

Anyhow, I find it really heartening that multiple companies are attempting a privatized approach. Between companies like Blue Origin, Orbital ATK, and SpaceX as well as several foreign companies having a go things are going to be heating up really fast. Maybe a space race 2.0 between corporations rather than countries? I pray such a thing will happen, as currently launch contracts have been rather lopsidedly in favor of SpaceX due to their cost cutting. I certainly do love SpaceX but there needs to be actual competition to help spur on human innovation (or at least put money behind it)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

doesn't look like it.

twitter.com...

top topics

join