It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government on the Verge of Collapse.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
1930s Germany would have loved this sort of power over Europe.

Why you guys thought the EU was ever a good idea, so soon after ww2, is beyond me.

Indeed, and they would have been shocked to know that so many English men would become such spineless wimps in such a short space of time - afraid to cut loose from their perceived masters in Brussels.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
The devastation is not the cause of brexit itself, but the cause of you choosing to go that way. Punishment if you will.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the complete mess that Brexit is causing is a way to punish the British people. The government never wanted Brexit and were even more shocked that the people voted leave and won. I am almost certain that those in power were thinking 'nooo people would never vote to leave, we have the controlled' ... then BAM the leave vote wins.

So I imaged all the higher powers were sat in a meeting somewhere and thought, 'well if the people want to go against the government wishes we shall punish them for it' .. and the result is this massive failure at trying to sort Brexit out. I believe that the government have caused such a mess on purpose to either punish the people for voting or to possibly turn people's opinions and hope that people would say 'forget let's just stay in the EU' and then there is the almost daily new story being put out by the media of how much damage Brexit is going to cause. I always knew the media were manipulated but since Brexit it's never been more clearer after seeing all the doom stories that they push out about Brexit

Theresa May has had almost two years to sort it out, two years to work out a good deal but doesn't have the back bone to take the fight to the EU she would rather just roll over and do as the EU says. And now she's reached some deal her attitude is 'well that's the deal it's a bad one but if you voted for Brexit it's your own fault you're gonna have to put up with it' which makes me think even more that the whole Brexit mess is a punishment for people voting against what the government wanted/expected

Screw it let the country fall to its knees

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

The EU and European citizenship were established when the Maastricht Treaty came into force in 1993.

50, or so, years later is hardly so soon after World War Two. LoL

As to why we came together after WW2 that was primarily about defense against the Soviet Union and also so situations like the second world war would not raise their ugly head again.

Lot of people died to unite Europe on both sides of the fence, to depart a union that was supposed to last a thousand years after only 25 years just is not trying imho.
edit on 29-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
The same country that evicted the Roman Empire from the isles, crushed the Spanish Armada, routed the Napoleonic juggernaut, and stood tall against the onslaught of the Third Reich, will now go down in flaming defeat to trade deals.

If Great Britain has really become that weak, maybe it's time to elect someone to Make Britain Great Again.

They sure has hell need a Winston Churchill and not a Neville Chamberlain. Sounds like half the country are Nevilles.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Winston Churchill eh?

Let's just say the Man had his faults as well as strengths.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Winston Churchill eh?

you could say that the only bit of good he actually did was his premiership during WW2.

Much of what he was responsible for was awful, fully deserving of him being consigned to history as a vilainous toff.

He redeemed himself through the war though, sometimes you just need the right kind of bar steward in charge

edit on 52pThu, 29 Nov 2018 18:14:52 -060020182018-11-29T18:14:52-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Reject the deal, replace May with a brexiteer.

Tell the EU to go and have intercourse with themselves. Keep our money.

With no extortion fee, the UK moving to seek competitive advantage and deals elsewhere the EU will be sorry. The nice big budget hole will hurt them.

The problem is the people in charge and a desire to be 'freinds' with an institution that wants us broken.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The EU and European citizenship were established when the Maastricht Treaty came into force in 1993.

50, or so, years later is hardly so soon after World War Two. LoL

As to why we came together after WW2 that was primarily about defense against the Soviet Union and also so situations like the second world war would not raise their ugly head again.

Lot of people died to unite Europe on both sides of the fence, to depart a union that was supposed to last a thousand years after only 25 years just is not trying imho.

Schuman Declaration (1950) and the Europe Declaration (1951) European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) (1951) Treaty of Paris (1951) Treaty of Rome (1958)

Read up on those, then get back to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Winston Churchill eh?

you could say that the only bit of good he actually did was his premiership during WW2.

Much of what he was responsible for was awful, fully deserving of him being consigned to history as a vilainous toff.

He redeemed himself through the war though, sometimes you just need the right kind of bar steward in charge

In other words, he made you all remember who you were.

Sounds like that needs to happen again.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Why you guys thought the EU was ever a good idea, so soon after ww2, is beyond me.

It was brought about because the French and Germans could not agree on a land share.

Then after WWII it was a case of the French being pissed off with the U.K and thought they would be better off making peace with Geramany in the hope that the old
quarrels over land wouldn't raise its ugly head again.

A common market was formed initially and the U.S dared the U.K to join in order for the U.S to have a foothold within the common market.

Then the Germans pushed for more power and more treaties were drawn up, with the French leading it thinking they were the architects, but the Germans really were.

The Irish rejected the last treaty, but only for a year or so, and were treated despicably by the E.U, until they changed their minds. And their minds they did change.

If we change our minds now, they will go full E.U on us and we will be adopting the Euro without any say before you know it. And probably jack booting our way up Whitehall begging for the Fourth Reich to save us from the Tories.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

More accurately he fought off those portions of the house of commons who were into the idea of negotiating with Hitler and, having set the course for war to the end, steered the ship brilliantly.

All this talk of soft Brits is bunkum, mate. many of our politicians may be, but I can assure you that the average brit loves little more than ten pints, a curry and a scrap on a Saturday night.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Difference between preliminary and actual realization of a goal, the fact is the EU did not happen until 1993 when the member states came together. It's not like it happened overnight through.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Then the Germans pushed for more power and more treaties were drawn up, with the French leading it thinking they were the architects, but the Germans really were.

That should have been your first clue.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

More accurately he fought off those portions of the house of commons who were into the idea of negotiating with Hitler and, having set the course for war to the end, steered the ship brilliantly.

All this talk of soft Brits is bunkum, mate. many of our politicians may be, but I can assure you that the average brit loves little more than ten pints, a curry and a scrap on a Saturday night.

Then stop electing those people.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It was but people didn't listen because there was money to be made and that speaks louder than anything else in this world.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

As you no doubt can see from the mess in most countries, the political system is generally skewed towards electing people you wouldn't trust to mind your pint while you went to the bog

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK...the political system is generally skewed towards electing people you wouldn't trust to mind your pint while you went to the bog

I think this is one of the most apt political quotes I've seen in a long time (assuming "bog" is the bathroom/loo/restroom/etc.)
QFT.

On topic: As an American, I have little understanding of the UK/EU politics. I agree with some others here though, the people had a vote and decided they want out. Sometimes it's less painful to rip the bandaid off than try to peel it off slowly.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Accept we cannot eat blue passports or negotiate trade deals with them.

Brexit is a terrible idea, especially so in its current nonsensical state.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You guys don't grow any crops or raise any livestock? Why would you have to eat passports?

Trade deals are obviously a much larger, more real concern. As far as I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, the UK would have to renegotiate pretty much all trade deals with the EU and also trade deals made with other countries while they were a part of the EU. That's a lot for any government, especially when they have such low confidence from such a large portion of the country.

I have confidence that the UK will come out of this stronger than before, but best of luck from across the pond all the same.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join