It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government on the Verge of Collapse.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The problem was getting in. GB never needed the EU.
Should have never let go of your sovereignty in the first place.
You will have the greatest trading partner in the world so Im sure
the UK will find their way, they always have.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nfflhome

Should have never let go of your sovereignty in the first place.

We didn't , we are still a Sovereign nation with our own tax rates and currency.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Let’s have a no-confidence vote and boot out May, put Boris in charge. Only that won’t fix anything because we still don’t have the time to renegotiate a new deal so all it would do is leave us with a baffoon of a PM leading the country into the worst crisis we have faced since WWII.

OH HELL NO!!!!! or even JRM any of the backstabbing, no balls MPs who backed away from the country in its most difficult time in over 50years, no of them deserve the X in the box

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Right then lets get extreme. Lets just acknowledge that the Breixt vote was only ever an advisory referendum and as such revoke article 50 or delay its implementation until we can get a better deal.

There is no good option, the EU has to be overly stringent as we are the first (of many/maybe only) to leave the EU, if we get what we want, what stops the rise of the same feelings in other EU countries, by making an example of the naughty child (EU loves to ruin countries ALA Greece) other countries will stay part of the club

I only have contempt for EU MEPS (Farage being one of the most snake like) not the people of the EU, whom are the same as you and I, work hard for these bureaucrats to steal expenses and laud it up on behalf of you and I, sorry but I still want out

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

edit on 29-11-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Exactly correct. I know it isn't popular but this deal is the best they can conceivably offer. If they are more generous, other states may leave.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackJackal
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Putin is probably wearing a # eating from right now. He got exactly what he wanted. Weakend England check. Withdrawn America Check. Weakend NATO Check.

this is all working according to plan, from the super genius 12 dimensional chess player Donald J. Trump.
You should speak of him with reverence, and respect. he is indeed worthy of that just by his acting ability alone. (you can't have it both ways)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
The same country that evicted the Roman Empire from the isles, crushed the Spanish Armada, routed the Napoleonic juggernaut, and stood tall against the onslaught of the Third Reich, will now go down in flaming defeat to trade deals.

If Great Britain has really become that weak, maybe it's time to elect someone to Make Britain Great Again.

That sort of illustrates a part of the problem though. THere's a lot of people in England who don't quite grasp that Great Britain is no longer a Great Imperial Power. They think we are still the nation that crushed the Armada, routed Napoleon, and stood alone against Hitler.

(Leaving out the Roman part. The Britons who resisted the Romans were themselves crushed and routed by invading groups of Angles and Saxons and Jutes and Angles and the people who then became the Anglo-Saxons and are the ancestors of the modern English. Angles = English. They're immigrants from Denmark and Germany. Which is one of the great ironies of English people being against immigrants, when they themselves are descended from immigrants who pushed out the original Celtic Britons. But. I digress.)

But yes, the problem is Britain was bankrupted by the second world war, we're no longer so great at all. And Brexit is painted as this great pathway back towards IMperial Glory where Britain will be Great again! But we won't be. Because that's not how the world is anymore.

(And this is why Brexit was predominantly voted for by old people.)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Wow, what an awful doom scenario.

But, you know, your OP points up a hugely dramatic difference between YOU and so many of the rest of us. You are spot on near weekly agonizing on about Trump. Who is NOT your president. Whereas many of the rest of us here in the US remain almost entirely mute about the situation with the broken system of governance in the UK.

WE watch from afar, amused and curious as to the possible outcome and its ramifications. We wish the English people all the best for the future, whatever that might hold for them, but otherwise refrain from opining on which politicians are good and which are bad or which policy choices are best.

Do YOU know why?

Simple really...............we get damned near nothing in the way of intelligent, sober and comprehensible information about any of the situation with Brexit or the larger UK political system. Knowing that we can not access anything of meaningful information..............we remain mute and..........

Wishing you the best!

BTW, If you like living with arcane and costly regulations imposed by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels, that's your business, but I guess you'd best get used to mediocre hair dryers and god awful petrol prices. If your fellow citizens don't care for that and thus voted for Brexit, I don't understand why you don't move to the EU proper!

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why do you all go on about the EU punishing us for leaving. If they wanted to punish us I'll give you some prime examples (even though they might do it afterwards). Who is the major owners of British Railways. The French and Germans. Who owns the vast majority of electric generating in the UK. The French. Who are the major electric suppliers in the UK. The French. From where does the main gas supply come from. From France Though it comes from elsewhere not here.
Now here is a very serious question for you all "how did being all the years in the EU affect your personal life".
Don't come up with the UKs bill to the EU cos that never affected the man in the street (the small amount personal tax has risen is down to normal inflation). Don't say sovereignty, cos we never lost that. Don't say to get our borders back, because we never lost control of those either. Just how did it affect you cos it never affected me one iota. In fact in the 1980s and 90s, being a builder the UK had millions in subsidies from the EU and kept me in work for 2 decades.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
No deal. Rip it off like a bandaid. It's just that the establishment and their propagandists in the media don't have the same confidence as the voters, instead trying to cut a deal, even if that means staying under the rule of the EU. It's a shame that the country that did the most to bring democracy to the world might ditch democracy altogether.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If the UK doesn’t want to be sovereign

Here’s a choice for you guys, instead of being the EU let’s say ‘female dog’

You can become the 51st of America. If you want to
Kowtow to a centralized government, America would be a stronger place

We would give you about 60 seats in Congress and 2 senators, that’s more than you gave us be for we did a coup

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

You can become the 51st of America. If you want to Kowtow to a centralized government, America would be a stronger place

This made me giggle really hard on the inside.

That wouldn't be a half bad thread, it would surely be entertaining.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Well, one of the first things I can see happening is the jungle and other migrant camps, you know the ones filled with people trying to get into the UK? They will empty and at 2301hrs on the 29th of March, they will start making their way to the UK (France will no longer obligated to stop them on their side of the Channel). They'll drive the Chunnel, they'll board the Eurostar they don't care how they get here they'll just get here if they can...

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

England has weathered adversity before, so I imagine it will again.

And what about Wales? What about N.Ireland? What about my personal favourite, Scotland?

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

And what about Wales? What about N.Ireland? What about my personal favourite, Scotland?

I was worried someone was going to do that lol.

I said England, because I'm not really that caught up on the history of England, Great Britain, and the UK, so I copped out with England.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

True. There was that thing with the Spanish Armada, those dudes from Germany and the food.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I like your thread. I like your opinions and ideas on this too.

But I am so worn out with all this Brexit business I’m almost leaving the country. I play a game listening to Radio 4, how many seconds until you hear ‘Brexit’. Max is 31 seconds over last three weeks.

I’m by no means sick of your thread. I think it’s a good thread and you’ll get some good contributions.

But as an Englishman, a person whose only skill is being able to spot media bias and spin, I am completely and utterly worn out. That’s my contribution to this thread, don’t hold it against me, I’m sure you know how I’m feeling.

Edit: to add, my job puts me in the position to receive white papers on Brexit, Regulations and other peer released ‘articles’. They all contradict.
edit on 29-11-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
But I am so worn out with all this Brexit business I’m almost leaving the country. I play a game listening to Radio 4, how many seconds until you hear ‘Brexit’. Max is 31 seconds over last three weeks.

You should turn it into a drinking game.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I only listen to the radio in the car!

Ok, if the cops pull me I’m screen shotting for evidence.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

we are leaving the EU and part of that is we then can negate any free movement, its not cheap though

UK to pay extra £44.5m for Calais security in Anglo-French deal

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join