It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange seismic waves originating off French Madagascar

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thanks for finding that!

It is weirder looking there. So perfectly round and the sides are rock? I guess? Or concrete?

Maybe a volcanic left over.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Dbl.
edit on 29 by tiredoflooking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
So... the major contender would be a meteor strike in the deep ocean. They must be working this out.

Actually several seismologists in the article are postulating that this could have been caused by magma movement, and this is "something new" for that area.

Instead, BRGM's analysis suggests that this new activity may point to magmatic movement offshore—miles from the coast under thousands of feet of water. Though this is good news for the island inhabitants, it's irksome for geologists, since it's an area that hasn't been studied in detail.

“The location of the swarm is on the edge of the [geological] maps we have,” says Nicolas Taillefer, head of the seismic and volcanic risk unit at BRGM. “There are a lot things we don't know.” And as for the November 11 mystery wave, he says, “it's something quite new in the signals on our stations.”
Using these measurements, Pierre Briole of the Ecole Normale Supérieure in Paris estimated that a magma body that measures about a third of a cubic mile is squishing its way through the subsurface near Mayotte.

Helen Robinson, a Ph.D. candidate in applied volcanology at the University of Glasgow stated:

“They're too nice; they're too perfect to be nature,” she jokes, although she quickly adds that an industrial source is impossible, since no wind farms or drilling are taking place in the deep waters off Mayotte's shores.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

Of note is the fact that this region has very ancient faults "including fracture zones from the final breakup of the southern supercontinent Gondwana."

edit on 29-11-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Mayotte's signal was a clean zigzag dominated by one type of wave that took a steady 17 seconds to repeat.

steady 17 seconds, really? like steady inside decimals of seconds

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

Mayotte's signal was a clean zigzag dominated by one type of wave that took a steady 17 seconds to repeat.

steady 17 seconds, really? like steady inside decimals of seconds, sounds like artificial
edit on 29-11-2018 by AcerM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

1 word that can explain this event...

"Kaiju"..!!

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Start of Crustal displacement ? ... it is as good a guess as any i suppose ?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
and strange earthquake in Buenos Aires on G20

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I thought they came to a conclusion on the Bloop?
www.wired.co.uk...

(edit) I see it has been addressed, cool thread by the way

edit on 30-11-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I'm glad you brought this up. I went back and was looking at the spectrogram:

And noticed that in the decay portion of the signature, there is still a fairly significant signal response in the 1-2 hz frequency range. This is mirrored by another response, albeit less intense at the 6-8hz range, and again in the 12-14 hz range, evem less intense than that of the response in the 6-8 hz range.

These particular signatures are similar to what can be seen in volcanic tremor, specifically harmonic tremor. Harmonic tremors are indicative or fluid (usually magma, but sometimes water, and even icebergs) movement.

For example, here is what iceberg harmonics look like on spectrogram:

And here is the bloop:

Cryogenic (Ice) Spectrograms

The parallel horizontal lines are the harmonics. Note that the iceberg harmonics shown above are far above what we see in volcanic tremor, but the concept is the same.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I'm thinking it is volcanic, but...

If it is Mothra I'm gonna be disappointed, I'd much prefer Ghidorah or Hedorah.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I'm thinking it is volcanic, but...

If it is Mothra I'm gonna be disappointed, I'd much prefer Ghidorah or Hedorah.

Well, we better start building giant robots to fight these monsters.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
maybe greys were making new base under that island

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

Or possibly with certain people having an interest with this island, that someone needed to get rid of evidence and so a largish underground complex needed to be destroyed.

Think of Epstein's Island, only bigger.

P

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

collapse of magma dome.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The seventh angel poured his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple, from the throne, saying, “It is done!” And there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, and a violent earthquake, such as had not occurred since people were upon the earth, so violent was that earthquake. The great city was split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. God remembered great Babylon and gave her the wine-cup of the fury of his wrath. And every island fled away, and no mountains were to be found; and huge hailstones, each weighing about a hundred pounds, dropped from heaven on people, until they cursed God for the plague of the hail, so fearful was that plague. - Revelation 16:17-21

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I found something rather interesting.

It's a long shot and may be completely unrelated, but Anchorage, Alaska is nearly the exact polar opposite to this general area where the seismic wave originated.

www.geodatos.net...

The seismic wave occurred less than a month ago, so the timing is off/odd, and doesn't help my case. Nonetheless, I'm not the only one speculating whether there is a connection between what happened off the coast of Madagascar and Anchorage.

Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: behindthescenes

My thoughts are that other than the fact that they both occurred on the same planet, there is no connection between the two events. Alaska is one of the more seismically active regions on the planet and an M7 is not out of the ordinary for that area.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Agreed, I also believe the two are unrelated.

The fact that it appears this activity is all at the same depth is mind-blowing.

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: behindthescenes

The term is “antipode”.

The earth (mostly) is a sphere. Add in some standing Tesla wave and a full moon.. JK.

The events are probably not related but that is a temporal bias.

May be something to investigate. But we did not have a full moon. ‘‘Twas crescent.

She moves in mysterious ways!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join