It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaction to disgusting images predicts political ideology?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I was watching a Mark Dice video to get my daily laugh and he mentioned a study done a few years ago which I found very interesting. Researchers examined how a persons reaction to disgust is linked to their political leaning, and they found that liberals have a far less intense reaction to disgusting images. They were able to predict with a 95% accuracy how a person would score on the political survey based only on their responses to disgusting images.

In a brain scanner, participants were shown disgusting images, such as dirty toilets or mutilated carcasses, mixed with neutral and pleasant images, such as landscapes and babies.

Afterward, the subjects took a standard political ideology inventory, answering questions about how often they discuss politics and whether they agreed or disagreed with hot-button topics such as school prayer and gay marriage.

Using functional magnetic resonance imaging, scientists from the Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute — in collaboration with researchers from University College London, Rice University, the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, and Yale University — recorded brain activity of the subjects responding to the images.

Responses to disgusting images could predict, with 95 percent to 98 percent accuracy, how a person would answer questions on the political survey.

research.vtc.vt.edu...

The reason I find this so interesting is because we're seeing endless amounts of disgust and virtue signalling from the left, yet this study seems to indicate they feel disgust to a much lesser degree. This would indicate to me that a lot of the outrage is an act, perhaps fueled by a feeling of guilt that they don't react like a normal person would, so they go out of their way to project their virtue and prove how much they really do care. If this is true it has deep implications because it means they are not doing what they feel is truly virtuous, they are doing what they think will appear virtuous, and these are two very different things which have very different outcomes. It's like Hillary trying to project how much she cares about the little guy when it's pretty clear she couldn't care less and she only says what she thinks people want to hear.

I also found a quiz website which allows you take a similar test designed to measure your disgust reactions and at the end it will predict your political ideology. I answered as honestly as I could and the result it gave was 55% conservative and 45% liberal, which sounds just about right. I've said several times before on these boards that I consider myself a center-right libertarian, I was much more to the left during my teenage years and early adulthood but as I've matured and as my understanding of society has advanced, I have slowly moved slightly more to the right. The accuracy does seem rather surprising, give it a go and share your result if you wish.

The quiz: chartsme.com...
edit on 28/11/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I proved the test you linked is garbage. Said I was a Democrat!

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You just proved You were in the 2-5%.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well loosely judging from your avatar you seem to like dark themes so you may be an exception to the rule, also it's probably not as accurate as the visual test, images have a much stronger impact on people and you can't lie to a brain scanner. The pupil reaction would also be interesting to measure. Also a surprising fraction of people lack the ability to visualize images in their head, are you one of those people? It may explain why you wouldn't react as strongly to worded questions but may have stronger reactions to real images.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
These key psychological differences can determine whether you're liberal or conservative

Decades of research have shown that people get more conservative when they feel threatened and afraid.

Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes

1. Conservatives tend to focus on the negative
2. Conservatives have a stronger physiological response to threat
3. Conservatives fear new experiences
4. Conservatives’ brains are more reactive to fear

Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds

Most societies are divided into a party that wants change (the more liberal party) and one that is afraid of change (the conservatives).

The liberal party is generally more intellectual and the conservative party is more anti-intellectual.

The world already knew that conservatives fear almost everything and react strongly to change. The rhetoric they spread is always based in fear .

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It said I was a democrat too. However, I guess I am biased, I was a paramedic at one point in my life.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Nice game; I came across as 52% conservative which actually surprised me. Thought I was further right than that, but then again, I've pretty much lost interest in the spectrum.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: K1n6D4rk

Way to leave out what the studies actually say.

Psychology as a political weapon is dangerous.
edit on 28 11 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As a Trump cultist as some has labeled me here, your test labels my brain as a Democrat.

ETA: 63% Liberal 37% Conservative
edit on 28-11-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'm 74% liberal.

Boy this study does have some flaws. I was a soldier and worked as a transit officer in a downtown facility. I've dealt with some gross stuff up close and personal.

I do have some liberal leanings, but 74% is a bit beyond expectations.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So thats who actually liked Goatse/Tubgirl?

and who the hell is eating paper over fruit?

Sersly?!

Only things that gross me out bodily fluids, public toilets, rotten malk, stretched holes, etc

I mean the guys intestines exploding, I would at least watch that I mean don't get me wrong my mirror neurons would be going ape# but I might just have to look.

I got 56 con 44 lib

ayyep.
edit on 28-11-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'd like to see some scores from posters like Ante, Sillyolme, etc. Would be funny if they're labeled conservatives.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Mine came up as 54% democrat. No way in hell am I eating soup stirred with a fly swatter.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Haha I said hell no to that too.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

not surprising find considering the feild of academia to absolutly dominated by liberals and leftist they even had to defend thir own bias.

www.psychologytoday.com...

so OF COURSE they will say that the poor conservative are only scared and us logical and awesome liberals should feel bad for them.

seems like a confirmation bias circle jerk to me...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I'm pretty freaking liberal and images of toilets, carcasses, AND babies disgust me. Landscapes are usually pretty though.

Did I pass?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Decades of research have shown that people get more conservative when they feel threatened and afraid.

They cite 9/11 as an example, saying people were more supportive of increased military spending... this is such a dumb argument, of course when a person feels threatened they go into a defensive mode and may seek weapons to protect themselves. This is like saying a person will become more conservative when a mass murderer breaks into their home and they suddenly wish they had a weapon to defend themselves. They simply realized the logic in having a weapon to defend themselves, they didn't suddenly shift into a republican.

Also it seems to me liberals scare far more easily than conservatives, many are afraid to even hold a gun, we're talking about people who grew up with guns on a farm vs people who freak out at the sight of a spider in their room, who do you think scares more easily? Liberals constantly require safe spaces and they are scared of what republicans will say on social media so they censor them, whereas conservative almost always promote liberty and freedom regardless of political or religious beliefs.

1. Conservatives tend to focus on the negative

This must be why studies have consistently shown conservatives are happier overall.

The world already knew that conservatives fear almost everything and react strongly to change. The rhetoric they spread is always based in fear.

Some times it's good to have an emotional reaction to things, we were built with fear for a reason, to avoid doing dumb things that can lead to people being hurt. Of course it's not good to be driven by fear and it shouldn't be the foundation of your beliefs. This is exactly why I hate the fact organized religion uses the fear of hell as a fundamental arguing point, it's insidious and wrong.

It's a vast oversimplification to say everything conservatives believe is grounded in fear, yes the left is more grounded in science and tend to be more intellectual, but they have deep reasons for holding onto their faith and I'm not going to judge them or try to take that away from them. For example look at SmarterEveryDay, the guy is conservative and often puts bible quotes at the end of videos, yet he has a huge respect for science.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hmmm 43% conservative 57% liberal....actually sounds about right. I'm surprised I usually just end up laughing at the results of most internet quizzes.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Based on replies, it seems the study's results are backward.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I'm with you; it claimed I was a Democrat too!

Couldn't be further from the truth..... Although, it did say I was a 46/54% split, so there's that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join