It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May has done the unthinkable, united Britain, against HER!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Come to think of it I’m sure May has flatly stated there won’t be another referendum.

I seem to recall Cameron and others insisting that there would never be a referendum on EU membership....but due to the weight of public opinion what happened?

Just because a politician - and a very poor one in May's case - says something doesn't mean its set in stone.

May has always been a Remainer, she's played her role perfectly.....but she's history.

The problem for both The Tories and The Remainers is that despite her incompetence and all the efforts of Project Fear there is still a strong anti-EU sentiment in the country....and people are beginning to get angry with both our politicians and their obvious failings and self-interest and the arrogant attitude of the EU....we British do not like being pushed about and bullied....and that's what the EU is trying at present.

More and more people are thinking we should tell the EU to literally F Off and we want a No Deal.

edit on 28/11/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Draw up a deal that the whole country doesn’t like and bingo, no deal can be agreed and therefore no Brexit.

It's starting to look that way , it's a pretty impressive feat to come up the a deal that neither Leavers or Remainers like.

Members of Parliament have already said that if no deal is reached they would block Brexit rather than risk a no deal Brexit.
It seem the fix May be in

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I want to live in a country were Regulations are proposed by an unelected commission , where my country has 3.7% power on decision making and where those decisions meet only minimum requirements because they have to please 27 member states, which will always result in a lowest common denominator.

Then when I want to leave I want the media to tell me I'm stupid. I don't want them to present facts, I just want them to use baseless claims that only poor working class xenophobic fools vote leave.

Then once all that is achieved, I want the people who voted to remain to decide how we 'leave'.

Throughout this I need the media to remain biased and insultive, I want normal people wrongly branded as racists.

Whatever happens though, I DO NOT want anyone discussing this analytically from a middle ground, no, no, that would be far too sensible.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Why Not make a remain Northern britian and Exit Southern Britian, and have the best of both worlds ?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I seem to recall Cameron and others insisting that there would never be a referendum on EU membership....but due to the weight of public opinion what happened

Really? I seem to recall having a referendum on EU membership was a major part of Camerons election campaign. So when they got voted in they had to at least stand by one of their campaign policy’s. I’m sure Cameron thought it didn’t matter though because he was convinced that people would vote to remain.

I agree with the rest of what you said but I personally think Brexit won’t happen.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Don't make the UK more important than it is. EU will continue without them, no pain.

That cuts both ways....the UK will continue without the EU, we have done so in the past and are more than capable of doing so now.

And I'm sure history teaches us that Europe has needed the UK's resolve and assistance far more than we've needed there's!

The problem for the EU was that if they let the UK leave without a hefty penalty, the next government with a populistic vote behind them would come up with the same idea of leaving.

And what exactly is wrong with other member nations wishing to leave the EU?
If the majority of a nations population wishes to leave the EU, for whatever reasons, why shouldn't they be allowed?
Do you disagree with the principle of Self-Determination?
Do you believe a nation should be 'punished' if by expressing its Right to Self-Determination it chooses to leave an organisation it previously chose to join?

What exactly are your objections to member nations choosing to leave the EU?

It had to hurt.

Why?

Germany needs them. In the 1970's ITV lunchtime news would report on what the markets were doing. Air traffic controller strike in France, the Franc down against the dolllar, Siemens in Germany won a major 600 million supply contract in Italy for a new train network, the Deutchmark goes up, ferry strikes in Greece, the Drachma is down 50 points. Wildcat strike action in car manufacturing plant in Birmingham, the pound down against the dollar to $1.45. The minute something bad happened anywhere, everyone dumped that currency and bought Deutchmarks without blinking an eyelid. It was the first thing they did, then they waited out the storm. That would then mess up German supply contracts as the exchange rates were now out of whack. Having the Euro played the city currency speculators at their own game.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I hadn't thought about it this way, could this really have been May's plan all along? Make Brexit so unobtainable by kicking the can down the road and patching up a last minute deal so bad that the British Public opt instead to scrap the whole Brexit idea?

The mind boggles...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

would be very undemocratic, wouldnt you say? People voted out end of story. Cancel that vote in whole, i dont think that will be as smooth as they/she think it would be.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

That thought also crossed my mind but the fact of the matter is that doing so would sink any PM and cabinet willing to play that game.

So what would be the point unless "they" are in it for the long game?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: sunkuong

Because we live in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Where would Northern Ireland fit into this scenario?
Or Wales for that matter?

I live in North East England....I voted for Brexit as did the majority of people here.

Sorry my friend, its a non-starter.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Don't make the UK more important than it is.

That is by far one of the most interesting statements I have read here.
Funny how we over here make things work with 50 states and you guys can't seem to make it work with 28 "member states".

The problem for the EU was that if they let the UK leave without a hefty penalty, the next government with a populistic vote behind them would come up with the same idea of leaving. It had to hurt.

At least there is no blood shed with the "member state" leaving.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

That’s exactly what I think, but it won’t be the British public opting to scrap the whole Brexit idea, instead they will be mostly convinced that it isn’t workable and just go along with idea it can’t happen. Sure there will anger and frustration but certainly not a revolution. May will resign and we shall have some other puppet step in to dance to the tune of the EU.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Really? I seem to recall having a referendum on EU membership was a major part of Camerons election campaign.

Prior to that election campaign Cameron had consistently stated that there would no referendum.
But the weight of public opinion in favour of one forced him to put it in his election manifesto.
He, just like the rest of the political elites, never for one minute thought that the British people would in fact vote for Brexit.

Everything since has been designed to overturn the result of that democratic vote and to somehow force us to remain in the EU.

If Brexit does not occur it will be the greatest betrayal of the British people since Oliver Cromwell.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

I don’t use FB either your avatar sums it up perfectly.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Ok thanks for clearing that up, so in a sense we were both right about that side topic.

Wasn’t the Brexit result a close one anyway, 52% leave 48% remain? What if opinions have changed over two years of “project fear” to swing that majority the other way?

Besides it seems to me various British governments have been betraying the British public for some time now, have we done anything about it?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It baffles me that even when faced with the reality that leaving the EU is a massively complicated and expensive undertaking to which there is no good solution, armchair Brexiteer experts still proclaim it's easy and we should just walk away and everything will be awesome.

If it was easy, why haven't we just done that? Answer - it's not 'easy' like Farage and Boris promised us. It's not going to make us richer, it's just going to make us poorer.

It's expensive and ugly and painful and is going to hurt this nation even more than it has already been hurt.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

If Brexit does not occur it will be the greatest betrayal of the British people since Oliver Cromwell.

And if Brexit does occur, it will also be the greatest betrayal of the British people since Oliver Cromwell.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
May just overthrew the democracy in the UK, at least people aren't applauding like in star wars....you need to start calling her Empress May. Ask the Queen does she have to bow to Empress May?

The Queen should come out and say that she will Veto the bad leave deal, because it doesn't represent her subjects, and if Empress May won't protect the people of the UK, their Queen will....

Half kidding above, but this might be the most dictatorial thing i have seen in my life time from a leader of a "democratic" country. Everyone in the UK should be mad

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Nothing would surprise me with Prime Minister , there was a report a couple of months ago that May had met with Merkel and Merkel had approved the Checkers Deal.
What's good for them probably isn't good for us.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

would be very undemocratic, wouldnt you say? People voted out end of story. Cancel that vote in whole, i dont think that will be as smooth as they/she think it would be.

Definitely agree.

I knew this was too much of a mess, it was obvious from day 5, (day 1, 2, 3, & 4 were looking into the possible effect on my area). But yes, we voted leave, that's democracy and as much as I dislike it, this is how it must be

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join