It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May has done the unthinkable, united Britain, against HER!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
From the FT, here's the link.

Congratulations! UK prime minister Theresa May has succeeded in uniting her deeply divided nation. Everybody agrees on one thing: the deal she has come up with is terrible.

I never imagined in a million years Darth May would unite the country the way she has. Everyone agrees her deal sucks. Can we use this temporary truce to find a way to make all this better?

Things are far from rosey of course. Some of us want a referendum on the deal and some of us don't and even the people who want a referendum can't agree on what the terms should be. Some want remain back on the table, others don't.

My personal feelings on the matter are that we should have a referendum on the deal on the table, I don't care what the alternatives are but let me have a say, she said no deal was better than a bad deal, this is a bad deal. I'm not convinced Darth May is the one to give us a good deal or if a good deal is even possible anymore.

My vote to remain was in an attempt to avoid this clusterphuck...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The problem is that it's been two and a half years now since that vote and a lot of people seem to have changed their minds. It's obvious now that Brexit is far more complicated than most people ever thought and that all the predictions from people like Nigel Farage about how Brexit would be easy and make us all fabulously wealthy, with free puppies, were a load of old cobblers.
This is a fantastically complicated subject and May's plan is, to be brutally honest, D.O.A. When Parliament debates in about two weeks it's going to be defeated. The question then becomes what now?
And that's the problem. Will May resign after investing so much of her personal political capital (such as it is) into the plan? Probably not, but I wouldn't rule anything out. Will her Government - her supremely talentless Government, I wouldn't trust that lot to change a bulb successfully - survive? Perhaps. Perhaps not.
Corbyn is waiting in the wings. And he worries me.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

No doubt about it, we're entering the mouth of $hit Creek and our last paddle is about to be scrapped.

The future isn't bright, no matter how we look at it..

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   

to be honest your government had more than 2 years to set up for a no deal brexit. In that time they have done nothing whatsoever. Now having only 4 months left its a huge rush, panic left and right. May's plan is horrible for the UK, its a sellout, nothing shows it more than the EU signing it within hours, smiling...

Unfortunately for the UK, a no deal brexit now would be extremely hard on them. Still I think they should do it rather than sign this so called deal that will enslave the UK to the EU for indefinitely...

or, they should call referendum after referendum until they get the result to their liking...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
If you make a deal through compromise, bargaining, threats and counter threats, it's always going to end up a mess. EU weren't going to roll over, and were going to nitpick on things like the Irish border. Scotland (SNP), France and Spain as is typical of EU negotiation try and tack on their own amendments at the very last minute.

The exact same situation has happened in technical ISO and protocol standards. One group wants one number, another wants another, neither will back down because they don't want to be seen as the lesser of the two, so they end up just averaging whatever two numbers they are using.
edit on 28-11-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

If her deal doesn't pass Parliament, she's outta there.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
The problem is that it's been two and a half years now since that vote and a lot of people seem to have changed their minds. It's obvious now that Brexit is far more complicated than most people ever thought and that all the predictions from people like Nigel Farage about how Brexit would be easy and make us all fabulously wealthy, with free puppies, were a load of old cobblers.

Ask yourself why is it so difficult ???

You can get out of a marriage .....

You can dissolve a business partnership....

You can get out of prison......

You can sign in to the hotel *EU* but you can never leave

So WHAT is the reason we are tied in so tightly and are not being allowed to leave?

The EU's need for us is greater than the UK's need for the EU!!!

This is a fantastically complicated subject

Just because its complicated dosen't mean it shouldn't happen

May's plan is, to be brutally honest, D.O.A. When Parliament debates in about two weeks it's going to be defeated. The question then becomes what now?

Without a doubt. We voted to LEAVE not for a deal.

#Me too.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Just watched the Chancellor Phillip Hammond, I see he's carrying out the

same doom and gloom campagne that was the late George Osbourne mantle.

Didn't work then ..... WON'T WORK NOW.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Don't make the UK more important than it is. EU will continue without them, no pain.

The problem for the EU was that if they let the UK leave without a hefty penalty, the next government with a populistic vote behind them would come up with the same idea of leaving.

It had to hurt.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Ask yourself why is it so difficult ???

You can get out of a marriage .....

You can dissolve a business partnership....

You can get out of prison......

You can sign in to the hotel *EU* but you can never leave

So WHAT is the reason we are tied in so tightly and are not being allowed to leave?

This is a fantastically complicated subject

Just because its complicated dosen't mean it shouldn't happen

May's plan is, to be brutally honest, D.O.A. When Parliament debates in about two weeks it's going to be defeated. The question then becomes what now?

Without a doubt. We voted to LEAVE not for a deal.

#Me too.

The idea all along was that the Europe was going to become one giant monolithic trade bloc where borders would become irrelevant. They never anticipated anyone would want to leave, so now have to unravel and untangle everything. In order to detach our country from the EU, we had to tidy up loose ends like pension fund contributions, participation in projects, location of EU departments, whether workers or retirees can stay.

It's the same kind of logical mess you get into with large scale software projects and someone suddenly decides they want to turn one part of the system into a separate standalone application. Everything is completely meshed into each other like tangled up knitting wool and wooden blocks. You have to make a fresh copy, figure out the bits you need to keep, the bits you can cut away, what they are tied to, repeat until everything is sorted. EU Departments feed information into each other in the same way.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

or, they should call referendum after referendum until they get the result to their liking...

Nobody is saying that should happen though, not that I've seen nor anyone I've spoken to. The whole country is opposed to this deal, but we should just sit back and let her, in May's own words when she slipped up, press this on the people?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

If her deal doesn't pass Parliament, she's outta there.

And good riddance to her. I'm surprised the vote of no confidence hasn't gone through yet.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The thing is, nobody wants her job at the moment.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

That's true, even those that had sights on it are distancing themselves from the post.

I read it somewhere that it was possible May was a Fall Dame PM, I can see how that would be true.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Teresa May would have been gone already if the Tories had someone competent to replace her with.
She surely has to go when her shocking deal gets rejected in parliament.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Who would you like to see replace her?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

I suspect this was the plan all along, make it look so incredibly complicated and bad for the U.K. that people will call out for another referendum claiming many leavers have changed their minds and that they didn’t realise what they were voting for, or they did just to spite Cameron etc...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

That might be true for your part of the UK but not mine, the UK is not as important to the UK as you seem to think.

The best thing the UK can do for the EU now is serve as a warning to anyone who wants to leave.
edit on 28/11/18 by djz3ro because: Format

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Haven't really thought about it or researched all the potential candidates to give a proper answer.
Anyone who can properly get us out of the EU's control. Preferably by just having a simple free trade agreement on all goods and services.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

11/12/18 The day of reckoning , Parliament votes on the flawed deal and by the look of the way it's going consigns it to the dustbin of history ... Bye Bye Mrs May , Bye bye.

Looks like the Brexit dream is nearly over , we've woken up and Bobby's in the shower , No deal equals no Brexit according to May.
What a sorry mess.

a reply to: ManFromEurope

The problem for the EU was that if they let the UK leave without a hefty penalty, the next government with a populistic vote behind them would come up with the same idea of leaving. It had to hurt.

True.
Hardly reflects well on the EU or their respect for Democracy though , does it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join