It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite Christmas movie

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Not sure on rudolf...
Was that a TV movie or just a one hour special?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nakatomi Plaza Christmas Party Sweater

When you can buy these, Die Hard is so a Christmas movie!

Anyhow:

1. A Christmas Story
2. Christmas Vacation

After Die Hard, I'm not sure any others really are on the radar ...

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: LordOfDestruction

New thread idea,,, best baseball movies...lol

Man, so many come to mind, u should make a thread for sure.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Die Hard also takes place during a Christmas Party that goes way, way wrong. And for Die Hard II, all Holly really wants is to come home for the holidays, and John McClane is trying to make that happen for her. It's his big Christmas gift. Sure ... it's a little more violent than most home for the holidays movies, but that's the basic premise.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Die Hard also takes place during a Christmas Party that goes way, way wrong. And for Die Hard II, all Holly really wants is to come home for the holidays, and John McClane is trying to make that happen for her. It's his big Christmas gift. Sure ... it's a little more violent than most home for the holidays movies, but that's the basic premise.

Not to mention that Hans Gruber is pretty much Scrooge and also when he tapes the gun to his back he uses Christmas tape! Lol

And the whole ho-ho-ho now i have a machine gun thing

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LordOfDestruction

Christmas is a lot more central to both the first two Die Hards than it is to Lethal Weapon although I do recall the trappings of the season being around. I seem to recall a Christmas tree at Murtaugh's and the opening scene with the drug bust was at a Christmas tree lot, for example.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No no no

A movie that takes place on Thursday isn't a Thursday movie.
The movie has to be about Thursday.

Die hard has nothing to do with Christmas it just takes place on Christmas Eve.

Bad ass action movie....

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No reason for Holly to come home without Christmas. No reason for John to be at the airport without Christmas, meaning no reason for the movie without either character to be at the airport without Christmas.

By your logic, we have to disqualify all the Home Alone movies and Planes, Trains and Automobiles isn't a holiday movie either, albeit a Thanksgiving one.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Lethal Weapon opens with Jingle Bell Rock. Really Riggs finds a friend in Roger and its that friendship that saves his life because he is suicidal. At the end he has Christmas dinner with Rogers family, its a Christmas miracle!

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Call me picky but when im in the mood to watch a movie based around the birth of Jesus I don't think, hey lets watch a guy shoot a bunch of terrorist.....

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Call me picky but when im in the mood to watch a movie based around the birth of Jesus I don't think, hey lets watch a guy shoot a bunch of terrorist.....

I think most people like yourself prefer the traditional Christmas movies, if anything it's people like me, who need to see stuff blow up all the time that are picky. Lol

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm glad to see so many recommendations for a griswold family Christmas.

Gives me faith that humor isnt lost on most people these days....is it getting a bit nippy in here? Russ, you can't even see the lines.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Most Christmas movies aren't specifically based around the birth of Jesus.

Christmas is a multi-faceted thing. To me, there are different aspects of it, and I don't look for just one facet when I look at a Christmas movie. Let's be honest - Christmas Vacation isn't based around anything very biblical either. it's message is more about the trials and tribulations of family at the holidays.

A Christmas Story is about a kid's wonder at the holiday season, but it's not especially biblical.

That doesn't mean those aren't good messages though, but are all the messages in the two Die Hards bad ones? The movie isn't pristine, but ultimately it is about going to great lengths to reconnect with family at the holiday which is a traditional holiday theme used in a lot of holiday movies.

EDIT

For my more traditional message, there are a couple of Rankin and Bass specials I like that are cute, but they're TV ones, so they don't count for this.
edit on 27-11-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Most Christmas movies aren't specifically based around the birth of Jesus.

Christmas is a multi-faceted thing. To me, there are different aspects of it, and I don't look for just one facet when I look at a Christmas movie. Let's be honest - Christmas Vacation isn't based around anything very biblical either. it's message is more about the trials and tribulations of family at the holidays.

A Christmas Story is about a kid's wonder at the holiday season, but it's not especially biblical.

That doesn't mean those aren't good messages though, but are all the messages in the two Die Hards bad ones? The movie isn't pristine, but ultimately it is about going to great lengths to reconnect with family at the holiday which is a traditional holiday theme used in a lot of holiday movies.

EDIT

For my more traditional message, there are a couple of Rankin and Bass specials I like that are cute, but they're TV ones, so they don't count for this.

Translation in Rick voice....

Nakatomi plaza bitches.........

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

This is reminding me of the time I led a class revolt in college comp.

We had a GA who insisted you could not have a logical discussion comparing Westerns to Space Operas and Science Fiction. I disagreed, and in the end, he shut us down with his master argument - "No you can't because the book says you can't!"

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

Home alone 1 & 2 (really no one mentioned it on a conspiracy site)

Reason being that Orange Man Trump had a cameo in the sequel so it's one of the worst franchises ever produced.

link   

To me that's more about circumstances than plot.

Vacation was about a guy fighting to have a perfect family Christmas.
Christmas story was about a kid longing for a perfect Christmas present.

Both movies plots were based around that struggle.

Die hard was a guy heading home for Christmas and he steps in a big pile of trouble.

You could have him heading home for Easter or the forth of July and the plot wouldn't really change. Christmas was just the background circumstance.

link   
Hogfather.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Then I stand by what I said earlier, you have to also disqualify all the Home Alone movies and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (not a Thanksgiving movie) because they incidentally happened during those times. They really have nothing to do with them and yet, those movies get shown around those holidays all the time as if they are actually holiday movies.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Well I liked his books...I might have to watch this one..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join