It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much left over turkey? White turkey chili might be your answer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I had a solid few pounds left over so I made one of my favorites. Before reading the recipe, keep in mind, I love garlic and spicy things, so you may want to cut that a little.

First the ingredients, then instructions.

1 1/2 pound turkey (ground or leftover)

1-2 medium onions chopped

3-6 cloves of garlic minced

2-4 Serrano or jalapeno(calmer) peppers

2 4 ounce cans green chile peppers

1 tablespoon cumin (I add more to taste)

1 tablespoon dried oregano

Ground cayenne to taste

3 cans of white navy beans

4 1/2 cups of chicken broth low sodium

2 cups of montery jack shredded cheese

splash of heavy cream

1/2 can of well balanced ale or lager (optional)

black pepper to taste

small beef bone with marrow (optional, I get mine at the deli for a buck a pound.

I start with a pot with 4 1/2 cups of chicken broth, throw in the optional beef bone to give the base a little body. (boil as long as you want to get more of the marrow, celery and carrots don't hurt here just to get some extra background flavor). Just make sure to get your liquid level back to around 4 cups afterwards, you can do so with a little water or more low sodium chicken broth.

Once that gets going, dice your onion, mince your garlic, and mince your Serrano or jalapeno peppers and throw in a pan with a little oil to get c
caramelized. Once you see you're getting close, add all your spices for the last few minutes to toast them up and open up the flavor.... If it gets a little dry, don't over do the oil, add a little of the broth to sweat them and keep from drying if you're still building the broth.

Make sure to remove bone, any veggies you added to your broth, and get one of the cans of beans, rinse, put in a food processor then add to the broth to thicken at medium heat. Next add the other two cans, rinsed. Add the onion, garlic, peppers and let everything meld for a few minutes. Give it a taste after a few minutes and adjust spices as needed.

Finally, add your turkey (brown the ground first if you're going that route.) Bring to medium low heat and add splash of heavy cream and the 2 cups of cheese. Make sure the heat isn't too high or you'll break the dairy.

I garnish with saltines or tortilla depending on my mood.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
We made some white chili with ours.

We used stock we made off the carcass from the turkey, and we also tossed in some roasted poblanos. But basically, ours looks like yours minus the beer.

You're right; it's awesome!

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

yea, I didn't have the carcass still... someone chucked it before I could protest.

But the beef bones work well too, plus I got a bunch in the freezer for whenever I do soups now.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

That sounds really #ing delicious. Now i'm hungry. I've never made white chili before. I love chili though. I make it fairly regularly. I'm going to try this sometime. Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

That sounds really #ing delicious. Now i'm hungry. I've never made white chili before. I love chili though. I make it fairly regularly. I'm going to try this sometime. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm originally from Texas and love good old fashioned robust red chilli... But this one is good too, and I'm all about repurposing foods.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
We took a trick from our green pozole recipe and served ours over avocado.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

This sounds REALLY good!

I'm going to try this!

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

This sounds REALLY good!

I'm going to try this!

Thanks! Definitely tweek it to your taste though.

I don't use recipes when I cook so this was my best from memory account on how I do it haha. It's pretty close but I'm always adding a little something here and there so don't be afraid to.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I never heard of white chili before, just looked it up. Definitely gonna make that soon, sounds lovely!

top topics

join