It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why GM is an evil company

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Why GM CEO Mary Barra killed Chevrolet cars, approved likely plant closures

Is there any reason why GM had to announce these closures right before Christmas?
Is there any reason why GM couldn't use some of those workers in their new vision for the future?

If you are OK with the above and the bailout and all of that, what about this?
They seized this area with eminent domain, destroyed churches, businesses and houses, and are now closing that plant.
(I see this happening in Wisconsin with Foxconn too)

www.freep.com...

The court said that taking property from one private owner to give to another private owner in the name of economic development was an acceptable use of eminent domain.

The opponents took their case to the Michigan Supreme Court, which, in 1981, decided to back the GM project. The court said that taking property from one private owner to give to another private owner in the name of economic development was an acceptable use of eminent domain.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

FREE ECONOMY, BABYYYYYYY!

*splashes champagne from the balcony onto the plebs on the streets*

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I always cringe a bit when I hear that phrase "why, right before Christmas? "
As if a terrible thing happening a few months after piling on the debt of Shopmas, would be better somehow.
edit on 27-11-2018 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.usatoday.com...

Why GM CEO Mary Barra killed Chevrolet cars, approved likely plant closures

Is there any reason why GM had to announce these closures right before Christmas?
Is there any reason why GM couldn't use some of those workers in their new vision for the future?

If you are OK with the above and the bailout and all of that, what about this?
They seized this area with eminent domain, destroyed churches, businesses and houses, and are now closing that plant.
(I see this happening in Wisconsin with Foxconn too)

www.freep.com...

The court said that taking property from one private owner to give to another private owner in the name of economic development was an acceptable use of eminent domain.

The opponents took their case to the Michigan Supreme Court, which, in 1981, decided to back the GM project. The court said that taking property from one private owner to give to another private owner in the name of economic development was an acceptable use of eminent domain.

It was an announcement, not actual layoffs. Secondly, there is no good time to do it.

Having worked with large corporations making massive strategic changes, sometimes it is determined you simply don't need the headcount for the new direction the company is going. Yes it sucks, but it is what it is. Tough decisions have to be made.

GM is trying to position itself so that it can stay in business long term. There may be some short term pain.

None of this makes the company "evil".

I don't agree with the eminent domain ruling, nor do I agree with corporate bailouts or subsidies.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I've worked for several very large corporations. I've seen it all.
I've seen them do massive layoffs and then just rehire right away. Sometimes they rehire people with 1/2 the skill/knowledge for double the salary. I've been part of those "massive strategic change" meetings one too many times.
A lot of time it is executives trying to leave their mark, rebuild their empires, at the cost of the little worker.

GM is doing what it takes to keep the shareholders happy, that's it. I don't know about their long term viability. I also don't think this will be short term pain. I wonder how the workers that weren't laid off feel, skeleton crew time for them.

I know there is never a good time to do layoffs, and maybe this is the old school part of me coming out, but it is just sad. Something seems so scroogy about it.

In addition, 400 workers at a two-seat sports car assembly plant in Wilmington, Del., also will be out of work starting Dec. 8.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In the case of Flint..
When GM was there, it was a great city.
When they left, it turned (and has stayed) a terrible place.

Is GM evil for leaving? or Honorable for being there in the first place?
Or is it the fault of gov't for making it easier to make money if your plant is outside of the US?

I say a combination of all 3.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They should never have been given the bailouts, banks either.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Took their bail out money, took their profits and screwed off classic maneuver.
They should have been aloud to fail like they deserved.

The same thing is happening anyway plant closures etc, except they also got a stack of tax payer cash.

edit on 27-11-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I get your vibe on this; it does appear very mercenary.

But based upon a collateral story in the NYT, I get the GM problem. I just checked GM's debt to equity ratio. GM's is 2.69! What does that mean?

It means the value of GM's debt is 250% bigger than the value of its equity! That's like owning a house you took a $300,000.00 mortgage to buy and today the house only appraises at $100,000.00. You are upside down on your debt.

Put simply. GM is broke! In the investment community it is referred to as a Zombie Corporatlion.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Yup. And the plant they are closing here in Canada it's going to be flint 2.0.
Luckily it's been investing into tech recently tho, but it's going to be a huge hit 2500+ people will lose their jobs, in a city of a population of 160,000. Imagine how many people and business' this will have a negative effect on.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
They should never have been given the bailouts, banks either.

I have a big issue with that and the eminent domain crap.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

In the case of Flint..
When GM was there, it was a great city.
When they left, it turned (and has stayed) a terrible place.

Is GM evil for leaving? or Honorable for being there in the first place?
Or is it the fault of gov't for making it easier to make money if your plant is outside of the US?

I say a combination of all 3.

I worked most of the Flint plants at one time or another and it was a great time flint was a fun city. Then things went bad and 100,000 jobs left a town of 250,000 people.

Buick City GONE
Chevy GONE
Tank Plant GONE
Fisher Body GONE
Delphi GONE
Delco GONE
AC Gone

I know there has to be others.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
37 years ago, I got laid off the day after Christmas. At the time with a newborn at home it was like the end off the world.
Looking back It was the best thing that ever happend to me. I took command of my own destiny and at 24 started my own business. I now gross millions and have tons of employees that I treat with respect, I know everyone by their first name. I’ll never be a billionaire and I give away more money than I used to make, but I’m happy and my employees are happy. Next week I’ll sign off on near a hundred grand in Christmas checks. What more could a man want.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Edumakated

I've worked for several very large corporations. I've seen it all.
I've seen them do massive layoffs and then just rehire right away. Sometimes they rehire people with 1/2 the skill/knowledge for double the salary. I've been part of those "massive strategic change" meetings one too many times.
A lot of time it is executives trying to leave their mark, rebuild their empires, at the cost of the little worker.

GM is doing what it takes to keep the shareholders happy, that's it. I don't know about their long term viability. I also don't think this will be short term pain. I wonder how the workers that weren't laid off feel, skeleton crew time for them.

I know there is never a good time to do layoffs, and maybe this is the old school part of me coming out, but it is just sad. Something seems so scroogy about it.

In addition, 400 workers at a two-seat sports car assembly plant in Wilmington, Del., also will be out of work starting Dec. 8.

abcnews.go.com...

The only people that matter are the shareholders. Shareholders are not evil. They can be anyone from an individual to a institutional investors. I'm sure the retired Grandma whose pension is invested in GM want them to make the hard decisions, not just those that fancy SJWs.

If you want your voice heard, buy some shares.

It is easy to look back on management decisions in 20/20. A lot of thought, analysis, and long term planning goes into those decisions. Sometimes they are bad, sometimes they are right.

I definitely don't support government bailouts of failed corporations even if their failure might mean a loss of a lot of jobs. If the company can be managed better, private investors will pick up the pieces.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Which is most evil? The company that utilizes bailouts and eminent domain, or the government that facilitates those means?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Which is most evil? The company that utilizes bailouts and eminent domain, or the government that facilitates those means?

They are both evil and I want my money back from the bailout.

This is just one company and some towns. Mark my word, we'll be seeing this on a much much larger scale.
Pension crisis anyone. Just wait, there will be a time when we have to bail out entire states (hello Illinois talking to you)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

FREE ECONOMY, BABYYYYYYY!

*splashes champagne from the balcony onto the plebs on the streets*

Government bailouts to private corporations and the seizure of private property to give to another are far from a free market.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
37 years ago, I got laid off the day after Christmas. At the time with a newborn at home it was like the end off the world.
Looking back It was the best thing that ever happend to me. I took command of my own destiny and at 24 started my own business. I now gross millions and have tons of employees that I treat with respect, I know everyone by their first name. I’ll never be a billionaire and I give away more money than I used to make, but I’m happy and my employees are happy. Next week I’ll sign off on near a hundred grand in Christmas checks. What more could a man want.

I'm standing up clapping for you! YOU get it my friend. I'm sure your employees are a thousand times more loyal too.
There was a time when most companies were like this. The company was an extension of your family, and the owners felt the same way about their employees.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Right. So being that bailouts have been used by both the GOP and Democrats alike, which is more evil now? The government that issues bailouts and eminent domain or the culture that perpetuates the this binary system of evil?

edit on 27-11-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: changed society to culture

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Yup. And the plant they are closing here in Canada it's going to be flint 2.0.
Luckily it's been investing into tech recently tho, but it's going to be a huge hit 2500+ people will lose their jobs, in a city of a population of 160,000. Imagine how many people and business' this will have a negative effect on.

And yet just a few days ago, one of the owners of gm canada just came and bought a nice new expensive set of granite counters for their home in vancouver. That one was a big job too, 3 pages of paperwork, a few different types of stone. It was at least a $30,000 job.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join