It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go to Mars??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My family and I would. We have nothing to lose. We are tough. Send us. We would make great colonists.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Blue Shift
Never be as good as actually being there.

It'll be practically indistinguishable from reality by the time anyone's ready to go to Mars, or the Moon for that matter.

Risking it all is part of the adventure.

Sorry. I'm an adult.

Not a very adventurous adult eh? You wouldn’t like to help advance mankind while getting a free ride away from all your earthly responsibilities and worries? Whilst advancing mankind to a new frontier and immortalizing yourself? Seems a pretty sweet deal to me.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It's a yes from me - no ifs or buts. Even knowing it would possibly be a one way trip, I'd go for the sheer experience of trying to rough it on a different planet.

So if you need an IT and RF man...

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Would you go to Mars?

Running total update:

Yes = 13

No = 11

edit on 11/29/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Would you go to Mars?

Running total update:

Yes = 13

No = 11

What says you hoss, would you be on board for the big trip? If so would you still go if it was a known one way mission?

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Fair enough.

Honestly, no, I would not.

I don't see enough value in sending mankind to Mars to outweigh the risks. Both short and long term. I do not believe mankind will ever colonize space, it's too harsh and unforgiving of an environment for the fragile human. I don't believe long distance space travel (i.e. light years) will ever be possible for humans. So, no.

I 100% support space exploration, and I see great value which can come from it. I just don't see mankind as a viable contributor in that equation (both now and in the future).

ETA - Updated total:

Yes = 13

No = 12

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Furthermore, I look at it like this:

Nature (call it God if you like) is a far more powerful force than humankind can ever hope to be. It is a far better designer and a far more resilient force. I don't believe in things like Earth being a "chosen" location for life to exist. Life exists here because it can, plain and simple.

Consequently, if life as we know it could exist on another planet in our solar system...it would. The fact that life (as we know it) does not appear to exist in our solar system should be a pretty clear message about our chances of success colonizing other planets (or space for that matter). If nature couldn't do it, then why should we expect that we can?

I look at this subject in a very matter of fact way. Humans are fragile. Machines can do some things better than humans can. Space exploration is one of these things.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this opinion, but this is how I look at it.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Call it 13/13 now.

I starred you.

Although an empty gesture.

Cos you're never going to one.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I would go, no ride back needed.. Prob wouldn't pass the mental or physical part but hey I would try. I could be the first human (well the 1st I think) to grow a martian herb and fermented martini Mark Watney style.

“LOG ENTRY: SOL 381 I’ve been thinking about laws on Mars.

Yeah, I know, it’s a stupid thing to think about, but I have a lot of free time.

There’s an international treaty saying no country can lay claim to anything that’s not on Earth. And by another treaty, if you’re not in any country’s territory, maritime law applies.

So Mars is “international waters.”

NASA is an American nonmilitary organization, and it owns the Hab. So while I’m in the Hab, American law applies. As soon as I step outside, I’m in international waters. Then when I get in the rover, I’m back to American law.

"Here’s the cool part: I will eventually go to Schiaparelli and commandeer the Ares 4 lander. Nobody explicitly gave me permission to do this, and they can’t until I’m aboard Ares 4 and operating the comm system. After I board Ares 4, before talking to NASA, I will take control of a craft in international waters without permission".

That makes me a pirate!

A space pirate!”
― Andy Weir, The Martian

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

Interesting concept, and one I never considered really.

So, if you beat the snot out of one of your crewmate's on Mars, who's jurisdiction does that fall under?

Who's the Sheriff? Who's the jury, the Judge and where's the jail?

I guess Maritime Law does make sense actually. There would need to be a "Captain" of the mission, and the Captain is the legal authority at sea.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

of course if and when that captain passes, you would need a second in charge? and all that.. be "almost" the same as here.. I just thought the quote was decent because of being a space pirate lol.. Def didn't want to post political mumbo jumbo. yea i'd prob die on sol 1 of running out of the bay without a helmet.

Just googled how astronauts go out in space.. top search was how they urinate

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
No. I would have to wait until they have established towns and farms there first.

I'm antisocial. I'm not a pack animal and don't do well in groups. I would want my own living space, and my own responsibilities. I don't mind work, but I do expect time off to do whatever. That won't be possible for the first groups over there because they will be working 24/7 to get infrastructure built. Not working would mean death. They could work 24/7 and still die anyway.

I would need an established infrastructure and recreational time. A working society with jobs and stuff to do other than work yourself to death.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I would but am probably too old. But, it would depend on who else was going. If I was cooped up in a tin can for months on end with some posters I can think of on here.........
edit on 29-11-2018 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Life is a game of survival, there's nothing left for us on Earth anymore.

With our current technology, I think travelling to mars is just to say "Hey, we did it." but once a colony has been setup and a substantial quantity of material have been sent over already from Earth, sign me up.

Not much point travelling to Mars just to die in a fortnight.
I'd like to stay long enough to setup Television networks for future colonies so they don't die of boredom.

posted on Nov, 29 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

There was a time I'd have jumped at the chance, until 2004 when my eldest was born, I've got 3 now, I doubt I could even work offshore these days

posted on Nov, 30 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Sign me up. I would love the chance to leave this facade of humanity behind.

posted on Dec, 4 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Manned mission to land on Mars?

Suicidal,
90% mission failure including loss of life, to look at dirt, Pass on that

Orbit Mars and return?

Right Plan, Ship Design, and Payload
55% chance of making it/might be worth the risk

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

thumbs.worthpoint.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-12-2018 by I8THATAPPLEFRITTER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Probably not but I’d join The Space Force in a second. Then maybe go to Mars once the journey is just a wee bit shorter.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join