It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go to Mars??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Just one question. Why don't we have a moon base to launch us into space instead of a lame space station owned by the Russians?

Well, for one thing, in order for that base to be viable you'd have to get all the launch vehicles, fuel and supplies to the Moon to launch from there. Sure, you would gain a low gravity lift-off to orbit, and then you could use Earth as a gravitational slingshot to Mars, but you haven't gained much because of all the energy and money you expended getting everything to the Moon to start with.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Well, for one thing, in order for that base to be viable you'd have to get all the launch vehicles, fuel and supplies to the Moon to launch from there. Sure, you would gain a low gravity lift-off to orbit, and then you could use Earth as a gravitational slingshot to Mars, but you haven't gained much because of all the energy and money you expended getting everything to the Moon to start with.

Cheaply getting stuff up and out of a gravity well is always going to be a challenge. Rail gun? Space elevator?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I feel that all the polluters on Earth should be sent to mars as punishment, and forced to deal with behaving sustainably. This includes all of NASA which has space junk floating around Earth. They should be forced to collect all the junk and haul it over to Mars to be recycled. Earth is the precious jewel of the solar system. I love animals, I would not want to live somewhere with no animals.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: frugal

So...basically, your plan is to send OTHER people to Mars so you can continue to pollute Earth and be left alone to do so with your animals, but less people, is that it?

And don't even start to suggest you live a 100% (or even 50%) sustainable lifestyle. The mere fact you are on the Internet typing here on ATS is proof of that.

Interesting.

Okay, well, we'll register you as a "No" then. OR, should do you include yourself as part of the "all" in polluters, in which case we should register you as a "Yes"?

edit on 11/27/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes. I wanted to join the one trip to mars mission from the first tme I heard about it.

Even if it means leaving everything and everyone that I love.

Maybe I only get to lay my eyes on the surface of another world for just a moment before I die, what a beautiful moment that would be.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
No. I'm way too picky when it comes to company of other people. 2 years with 5-6 "good men/women" impossible.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Maybe I only get to lay my eyes on the surface of another world for just a moment before I die, what a beautiful moment that would be.

In a few years you'll be able to look at fully rendered 3-D artificial landscapes of incredible beauty all without leaving the comfort of your living room. Here's a landscape from the video game "Red Dead Redemption." What's it going to be like in another 10 or 15 years?

Pretty nice. All without dying in space.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

No. Still a ton of things to discover here on our own planet and quite honestly, I think Earth is beautiful. So much magic in the winters falling snow, summer sunsets, white sandy beaches, dew drops caught on a blade of grass, trees coloring in the fall, northern lights, rainbows..I'd never want to leave such a beautiful place.

I hope all those that choose to go actually get a chance though...

Thanks!
blend

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Hell No , but I would be Interested in Hearing from someone who did go there ...Really .

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Just one question. Why don't we have a moon base to launch us into space instead of a lame space station owned by the Russians?
We have something like the lunar gateway.
www.space.com...

A nice rest stop before hitting your bearings toward the red planet.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Sign me up !
I shall rule Helium with Dejah Thoris by my side.

If they seed Mars with women like Dejah Thoris, then I'm all in. : )

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Depends. A mission like that would require years of planning. Sending supplies, materials, vehicles etc well ahead of the selected individuals as well as possibly landing prefab habs close to the landing zone. If it was a scenario like that?, sure why not.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Whole lot of "if's" in this thread!!

So, let's see, what is the tally of pure Yes's and No's so far....

ETA... the tally so far is:

Yes = 11

No = 9

"if's" are not counted.
edit on 11/27/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

2 triangles one stays in orbit w/ai pilot one lands
2 land to aerial drones (mechanized)
As much technology similar to N7

Obviously these colonists will be observed from more advanced EA*RTH to MARS technologies.
So as much N7 like tech to explore. Safely...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

2 triangles one stays in orbit w/ai pilot one lands
2 land to aerial drones (mechanized)
As much technology similar to N7

Obviously these colonists will be observed from more advanced EA*RTH to MARS technologies.
So as much N7 like tech to explore. Safely...

Mass Effect fan? Or am I thinking of the wrong N7?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
No. Nope. No way. I've never understood why people want to undertake a journey that will damage their health and risk their lives just so they can look at some rocks. We have rocks here, just go and look at them.

Even if there were something interesting to see like the ruins of some ancient civillisation or whatever, with the current state of our tecgnology, nope. It's a really dumb thing to do. Wait till we can simulate gravity at the very least.
edit on 11Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:01:10 -0600301ffWednesdayAmerica/ChicagoWed, 28 Nov 2018 08:01:10 -0600 by mrwiffler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Never be as good as actually being there.

All without dying in space.

Risking it all is part of the adventure.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mrwiffler
No. Nope. No way. I've never understood why people want to undertake a journey that will damage their health and risk their lives just so they can look at some rocks. We have rocks here, just go and look at them.

Even if there were something interesting to see like the ruins of some ancient civillisation or whatever, with the current state of our tecgnology, nope. It's a really dumb thing to do. Wait till we can simulate gravity at the very least.

This kind of mindset and mankind would have never set foot on the moon the glory is worth the risk you’re still going to be in the history books even if you do die attempting the endeavor for example 3 men are immortalized for dying in an early Apollo accident their sacrifice just adds to the motivation to achieve the goal they were working for, someone else will pick up the torch.

Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom
Ed White
Roger B. Chaffee

Forever remembered

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Blue Shift
Never be as good as actually being there.

It'll be practically indistinguishable from reality by the time anyone's ready to go to Mars, or the Moon for that matter.

Risking it all is part of the adventure.

Sorry. I'm an adult.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join