It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go to Mars??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes. YESYESYES

Ummm. . . . yes.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

ever since I read Martian Chronicles about 1958

Saw the Martian Chronicles TV series when I was a kid in the 70s , pretty sure that's what sparked my love for the planet.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Musk has said there's 70% chance that he will be living on Mars in his life time .

Me Oh heck no just how miserable would it be not to have the corner Beer store ..

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I would... if safety was guaranteed. Absolutely gor for a couple years and go scaling mountains and digs... see what I could find.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
When I was a young man, I would do it in a heartbeat. Now I’m 61 and I hate the cold, it makes my bones hurt. You guys go to Mars and I’ll go to the Caribbean, I have my eye on a little resort where it about 82 degrees in winter and the beaches are topless.
You guy enjoy freezing your nuts off and I’ll keep the ladies warm.
edit on 27-11-2018 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
No not with the current level of technology.

No shielding on the ships so that's like six months of space radiation.

Then when you get there you would have to prevent the dust from getting inside your living area because it full of to toxic perchlorates. Good luck with that.

toxic mars

I feel like going on a maned mission to mars with our current technology is like some one in 9th century europe going to explore Antarctica with nothing more then a canoe and a few supplies.

Humanity is better off getting their space legs before they go to mars. It's better to focus on the moon and orbital infrastructure before sending a suicide mission to mars.

Let robots and probes do all the exploring of mars for now .
edit on 27-11-2018 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well... OK, yes, I would go.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
100% sign me up..

I have been setting up PBXs and Collab systems for the past 25 years on this planet, the lulz that would come with being the first person to string up some tin cans and a wire on another planet would be worth it alone.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Lets build the wall first then go to mars.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yes, solely to get away from the political conversations.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
No way I'm going to Mars. I like trees and blue sky. I can simulate Mars by putting on a deep sea diving suit and going out into the Mojave Desert in the middle of winter. But then I get to go home instead of dying there.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Will there be another bus sized ship loaded with beer in tow?
In that case...maybe, but probably nope.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just one question. Why don't we have a moon base to launch us into space instead of a lame space station owned by the Russians?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Just one question. Why don't we have a moon base to launch us into space instead of a lame space station owned by the Russians?

Exploration science is fun but not very profitable.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
I'd go even if it was a guaranteed 1 way trip.

Ditto with me, if I made the trip I don’t even think I’d want to return to earth, it’s one thing being cooped up for 9 months to get somewhere awesome and interesting like mars just to come back to boring old earth.

FCD your mission parameters are a bit off the optimal earth return time window for maximum efficiency and shortest trip time is 2 years (26 months to be more precise) and likely would stay on mars for 4+ years to kick start permanent habitation. There’s not much to be gained from return trips for anything like soil sample returns you’d want to send unmanned smaller craft to return allowing the spacecraft to be used as a habitat module to build off of to start a small mars colony. Also it’s a 9 month journey with current technology.
edit on 11/27/2018 by BigDave-AR because: Fixed

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Exploration science is fun but not very profitable.

It's profitable for the agencies that write the grants to do the research...paid for by the taxpayers. Sweet deal, eh?

As we speak there are entities getting paid handsomely to write feasibility studies for trumps "space force" ....bureaucracy has it's perks.
edit on 27-11-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Because the government decided to pump huge amounts of money into military and weapons.

BTW, the International Space Station is owned by Russia, America, Canada, Japan, and Europe.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Fair enough, I just took a stab at it to convey the idea that turning around and returning home immediately following arrival was not an option. 2 years it is then.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It's profitable for the agencies that write the grants to do the research...paid for by the taxpayers. Sweet deal, eh?

Uncle Sugar is a soft touch sometimes, particularly if you can convince them that your science project has some tangential application for defense and national security.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Well, for one thing, in order for that base to be viable you'd have to get all the launch vehicles, fuel and supplies to the Moon to launch from there. Sure, you would gain a low gravity lift-off to orbit, and then you could use Earth as a gravitational slingshot to Mars, but you haven't gained much because of all the energy and money you expended getting everything to the Moon to start with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join