It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Go to Mars??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Serious question...

Lately there's been all sorts of talk about man going to Mars.

Mars is what, about 52 million miles from Earth? Successful landings on Mars are what, about one in three chances presently?

So here's the deal, let's say they come up with a reasonable transport module the size of say a city bus. And, we'll assume they have figured out the logistics.

Now they're looking for a "few good men/women" volunteers to make the journey...to Mars (and hopefully back).

The mission parameters are basically this:

1. The journey takes (6) months to get from Earth to Mars. During this time you will live inside a craft the size of a city bus with 5-6 other people. That's about 180-200 days.

2. Once you get there, there will be lots to do. Set up camp, set up experiments, set up some agricultural thing, etc. So, it won't just be a hit and run. Because of Mars' orbit, you can't leave for a year (Mars has to be in the right place to return to Earth).

3. You could easily die. Your trip out will take 6 months, you'll be there for 1 year, and your trip back home will take 6 months. You will be gone for 2 years...if you live.

Sign here - _______________________________________________

Would you do it?

Seriously, would you?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Depends whether or not I have to wear a red shirt.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Well, I'm old and have some health conditions but I'd like to go for sure. I'd bring my metal detecting and exploring gear and go for those alleged alien ruins and crazy rocks. I'm sure I can do better than NASA just because I won't hide anything.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
YES!!!!!!

Please.

link   

The greatest adventure any Human has ever embarked on.

Sign here - Gortex_______________________________________________

When do we leave ?

link   
I would give anything just to leave earth orbit and see the entire world at once.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Absolutely! If I was young and healthy enough and there was a viable plan for colonization, a permanent mostly self-sustaining base.

Why not?

I'd do it just because I could, and to see how cool it would be to see how fast I could run, how high I could jump on a planet with only 38% of the gravity of earth.

Seriously though, human exploration of the other planets and eventually interstellar systems will always be too risky and costly when eventually artificial intelligence and autonomous machines can do it for us with far less risk and expense.

If we are really serious about space exploration AI and machines will have to go first, otherwise we're wasting time and insane amounts of money.

If we move to that and away from the idea of "manned missions" it puts a lot more possibilities within our reach, and our current technological capabilities.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'd do it. I have nothing important going on here & would love to help advance humanity to the next level. Even if only able to get to outer space for an hour or to travel in space for a few months, it would be worth my life. Plus the 1st people on Mars could establish the 1st government there & rule over future people traveling there. Also, one would get to see & use all the latest technological inventions which are at least 30 years ahead of what we're using now here on earth. Things like zero point energy, teleportation (probably just for goods), advanced AI robotic surgery, etc.. one might get to meet some of the alien races too, at least the ones which our terrestrial governments are friendly with.
edit on 27-11-2018 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Every time and twice on Sunday.
As the great Arnold Schwarzenegger said "Get your ass to Mas"

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So many firsts you could achieve. First to die on Mars. First to ...... just about anything.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

You have to sign up for the WHOLE mission, not just a trip to orbit.

Yes or No?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

No "if's"...just yes or no (based on a mission starting tomorrow).

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

So, you're signing up???

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
ever since I read Martian Chronicles about 1958, then a bunch of other Mars adventure stories/paperbacks over 2 or 3 years I was pre-teen fascinated about being an Astronaut-to-Mars (believing that around Y2k a Mars expedition colony would be launched)

related:

Overview
The Martian Chronicles is a 1950 science fiction short story fixup by Ray Bradbury that chronicles the colonization of Mars by humans fleeing from a troubled and eventually atomically devastated Earth, and the conflict between aboriginal Martians and the new colonists. The book lies somewhere in between a short story collection and an episodic novel, containing stories Bradbury originally published in the late 1940s in science fiction magazines. The stories were loosely woven together with a series of short, interstitial vignettes for publication...(Wikipedia)…

I do hope that I witness a Mars colony in the next 25 years, as that's the closest thing to being there I can imagine.
depending on the Mars-Earth orbital periods the communications distance between worlds can be as short as ~9 minutes

Tally-Ho

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
No, thanks. I have too many things left to see to do something that risky. Too many people and puppies that I would miss. Props to those that would though. You are braver than I am. Plus, I'm not much into flying. I will, but I don't like it. I don't imagine I'd like space travel anymore.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'd go even if it was a guaranteed 1 way trip.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yes, when do we leave?

Been watching the Natural Geographic Mars series, looks like fun, there will be women there and everything, even a bar. Just hope we don't have to watch films about global warming and politics like in the series, kinda ruins it.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sign me up !
I shall rule Helium with Dejah Thoris by my side.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Oh a government project to send people to mars...what could possibly go wrong?

Would this trip be part of trumps "space force"??

www.airforcetimes.com...
edit on 27-11-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If I had a round-trip ticket then why not

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join