It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some of the Reasons Why Many Americans Do Not Approve of Donald Trump.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Many American’s who support Donald Trump have a hard time understanding why so many people are up in arms about Donald Trump’s Presidency. The way they see it is, sure Trump is unconventional, sure he says things he probably shouldn't, but he is getting things done. Additionally, Trump supporters feel like Trump, and themselves by proxy, have been attacked since before Trump even took office and there is some truth to the theory. After Trump was elected there was a vocal minority of “Not my President” people who stated they would never accept Trump as their president. Also, there was a push by some to get members of the electoral college to not elect Trump to the office. Plus there have been other extreme left-wing pushes that have made it to the news further damaging the relationship between the right and the left. The fact of the matter is that Donald Trump won the election to be president fairly and every American should have gotten behind that regardless of how they felt about Trump. All of this taken together makes it increasingly difficult to see the world from another’s point of view.

My goal for this topic is to attempt to explain why many American’s have issues with Donald Trump in a way that Trump supporters may be able to understand if not sympathize with. To get there first I need to explain a little bit of how the world currently works.

Over the past decade the world as a whole is moving away from democratic rule and toward autocratic rule. According to a recently released report ⅓ of the world's population currently lives under a backsliding democracy.[1] Many of these backsliding democracies actually elect the leaders that begin to dismantle the democracies they pledged to uphold. You might ask yourself why anyone would choose autocracy over democracy but in reality the choice is never that black and white.

I am going to show you three broad qualities these leaders use to get into the good graces of voters and then build power.

First is projecting strength above all else. Authoritarian leaders must always project strength regardless if they are in wrong. The idea is to never admit to being in the wrong or to back down. One way this tactic is carried out is through military parades like Russia, China, Venezuela, and North Korea. But the projecting of strength doesn’t stop with military parades it is also bleeds over into personally projecting strength. Probably the easiest example here would be Putin and his numerous photo ops where he is portrayed as extremely masculine. But Putin is not alone in this either many other autocrats are guilty of the same behavior. These autocrats sale their strength as necessary to protect the populace from the perceived enemies of the leader that only they can handle. Some examples include Putin dealing with the scourge of homosexuality within Russia and North Korea keeping America from changing their way of life.

The second quality is the demonization of their enemies. They turn groups of people into nefarious evil doers that they and they alone, thanks to their strength, can save the country from. In the Philippines Duterte rose to power because he claimed he was the solution to the drug crime in the country. Since his election over 12,000 people have been murdered extra judicially. These perceived enemies are what autocrats need more than anything to hold onto power. They usually find a group of people who feel like they are under attack and are not being listened to are sale themselves as the champion of those people. Then they take a complex situation and present it in a way that sounds simple. If no real threat exists they demonize groups of people that are already persecuted. When Putin was faced with a downturn in popularity several years ago he ramped up the rhetoric against homosexuals and introduced many new laws against them. In other countries like the Philippines it was drug users and in Hungary it was stoking fear and anger against immigrants and muslims.

The final quality of autocrats is to weaken institutions that could possibly have any check on their power. Journalists within these countries are routinely threatened, imprisoned or killed. In more advanced authoritarian regimes they will limit the power of courts and legislatures. In recent years the countries of China, Turkey, Hungary, and Venezuela have all consolidated power under the executive branch. In Poland, they recently lowered the retirement age of judges to force out judges that disagreed with the leader.

Trump has all of these qualities. He wanted a military parade. While on the campaign he was an unapologetic strongman saying things such as “We’re going to bomb the # out of them”, “I want to punch him in the face”, “Torture works, trust me, it works”, etc. He refuses to admit when he is wrong and will double down on even obvious lies like his crowd size or that 3 million immigrants voted illegally. He has demonized immigrants, muslims and other persecuted groups but also picked fights with Canada, Robert De Niro, the NFL, Puerto Rico, and others. Trump has openly expressed admiration for many autocrats such as Putin, Kim Jong Un, Duterte and others. While at the same time he has launched continual attacks on institutions such as the media and the judiciary. He tells his followers to not believe anyone but him. Whenever a judge rules against him he goes straight to the media or twitter and demonize said judge. He attempted to use the DOJ to go after his political enemies.

So, to sum up. Many Americans view Trump as a wannabe fledgling autocrat and for good reason. Trump supporters on the other hand really like Trump because he is offering simple solutions to problems they care about. You know, things like “Build the Wall”, “Lock her up”, etc. The major problem is that due to Trump making lying and rejecting reality mainstream the two sides can’t carry on meaningful debates any longer. Since there are no common facts any longer we can’t even politely discuss the issues. As an example, many Trump supporters still say that Trump didn’t fire Jeff Sessions even though the President asked him to resign.

Non Trump supporters don’t understand why the Trump supporters are content being lied to and then still defending anything the president says even if it is a lie. Well, it's obvious really, Trump has demonized the media, and the left so nothing they say is valid in their eyes. His rhetoric has already caused damage to our country, hopefully we can repair it.

One last question for the Trump supporters. Would you defend Trump if he started a program similar to Duterte’s in which drug dealers and drug users could be killed extra judicially? I’m sure you are saying to yourself “Of course I would never defend that, that’s stupid”. Don’t be so sure. In the Philippines one of the common defenses Duterte’s supporters use when questioned about the murder program is “Why does the media spend so much time talking about the killings, the news only wants to talk about the bad stuff, why don’t they talk about the good he is doing like the infrastructure investment?”[2] Sound familiar, it should.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

Hawt.

+54 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Dear Diary,

Today I wrote another thread about Trump and no one is LISTENING! For some reason, the retards who voted for him still LIKE HIM! OMG!!!
They are like, so gross and they are stupid! Why don't they get it???

I bought new shoes today, they look fab and Amber was soooo jelly.

But back on Trump. He's icky and says stuff that hurts me!

I even cried once when he spoke. It's like OMG, he doesn't even sound like a real politician. He sounds so dorky.

He like uses words and stuff and it makes me angry because the retards don't hate him like I do.

Amber is so going to try to steal my shoes.

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Additionally, Trump supporters feel like Trump, and themselves by proxy, have been attacked since before Trump even took office and there is some truth to the theory.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Would you defend Trump if he started a program similar to Duterte’s in which drug dealers and drug users could be killed extra judicially?

ETA: Will this be the moment you realize that you're part of the problem?

edit on 26-11-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Many who oppose Trump are seeing their vested interests go bye-bye.

Many phonies and criminals are getting exposed.

😎⚔😎

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
“He demonises immigrants”

That’s a lie. And that’s where I stopped reading your dribble.

Question: does your iq tell you that “ILLEGAL” immigrant means “ALL” immigrants or is that what cnn tells you?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Amber is so going to try to steal my shoes.

*sigh*

Projection rears its ugly head.

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Who flagged this BS?

Swills?!?! Anne!?!??

Your still awake?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thank you for outlining it so well. I don't know that a Trump supporter has ever asked me why I disapprove of him, but I'd say something similar.

My big question is why he has their loyalty. No one owes loyalty to the people in power. We're not serfs. At least, not on paper.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

I can't speak for others, but I can say that I support him until he fails. That is on his own merits and not those that will never be satisfied with any of his actions say.

All the superficial crap that gets slung around hasn't deterred me at all. In fact, the only thing that bugs me is what the OP outlined. Denial of due process.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Thank you for outlining it so well. I don't know that a Trump supporter has ever asked me why I disapprove of him, but I'd say something similar.

Who cares?

I mean really.

Who cares?

He's president. If you don't like him, vote for someone else in 2020.

Sheesh!

+24 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Serious question.

Are you paid by the thread?

Day after day with the same crap.

Setting up an argument with outlandish ideas and then trying to bring President Trump into it.

Well, your time I suppose and you can waste it as you are want to.

All you do is shift people toward him. Specious arguments at best, dishonest crapola at worst.

P

edit on 26/11/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

What would you consider a failure?

No snark intended. My dad considered his Saudi tweet a failure and has lost some confidence in him. Curious what would be your boundary.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 26-11-2018 by Look2theSacredHeart because: Dbl

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
it's been 2 years get over it go do something, try meditation or something

it doesn't matter who the president is. the government is controlled by unelected agencies with appointed heads who decide how to regulate business's and when and they are like a mafia

get over your trump hate or support and just be quiet. this is 10x worse than the Obama is the antichrist garbage that went on for years

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart

Who cares?

That question is one of the keys to a tranquil life.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
damn you right wingers are just as bad

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Some of the probabilities that stand out are martial law along the border. Widening social programs with no direct way to fund them. Anything that goes against the constitution essentially.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join