It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Nation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Just like the old "company stores" in mining towns where the mine owners got back everything the miners were ever paid. Even rent.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It is exactly what is going on, and tax payers should demand that their profit stake is off setting their pull on tax payer funds.

Wally world should be forced to pay their employee's way out of subsidies from their profit margins. If employee standards improve and subsidy abuse lessens then we can talk about me shopping their again. But the freight train of tax cons... getting the heaviest tax payers (middle class if that is even a thing to acknowledge as real anymore) to pick up for the need to pay for subsidies... have generated too much energy at this point in history to be able to foresee any wake up of the burdened tax payer to remedy the abuses.

If they distributed all the wealth in the world evenly, in a matter of 10 year, the money would end up exactly where it resides now... invested for the 1% on the backs and sweat of those that require the trust of another and or entity to get by in life.

edit on 26-11-2018 by ttobban because: added link

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Where I live, yeah, Walmart is one of the go to’s, but don’t forget your local Dollar General empire, strategically placed, closer to most people here, some of their items are cheaper and a lot people shop there for basic necessities. I live in the poorest county in one of the poorest states. I don’t blame anyone here that can only afford to go to these establishments, there is no other cheaper place to shop. And btw the more expensive grocery stores have closed up shop, do we blame them, the people who live here or Walmart.

My area has Dollar General stores sprouting everywhere like mushrooms. I'm unsure of how they are not cannibalizing their market here.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Mahogany

I was a young lady. I will never forget going to Walmart for the first time. I remember all the tags that said Made In America. Before that point a lot of stuff was made in Taiwan (I don't remember anything being made in China)
We were so happy to be shopping at such a nice clean store filled to the brim with American Made products.

No that wasn't a dream, that was reality folks. Sam Walton is rolling in his grave at what Walmart has become.

Dating myself a bit here, but when I started in college in the late 80's, Walmart was THE business case model every student had to study. Good ole' Sam and his red pickup truck and his buy American push.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

There are red states in your chart that are also net contributors to the Treasury, i.e. sending in more money then they get back such as Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming.

There are also blue states that are supposed Walmart states that are also net contributors, it isn't all a red/blue state paradigm.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

For starters, the largest brick and mortar retailer in the world should not be allowed to have such a large number of employees that partake in government subsidies. Wally world's take on tax payer funds is atrocious...

This is a good point.
If Walmart is the largest employer in many states and on the govt dole in a tricky way, what would it do to the economy if we ended their govt gravy train?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Yep, got it in one.

I'm from New Mexico which is one of the poorest states in the US. Much of the state is very rural and the distance between towns can be pretty great in terms of driving. When we got a Walmart in my home area, it was a huge thing. Suddenly there was much easier and cheaper access to things that used to take a long drive over the border to Lubbock or Odessa/Midland, Texas. Shopping local wasn't even possible for many things in our tiny border town.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I'm in agreement with other comments, left/right added into the discussion isn't taking into context the whole picture.

...and the jobs in the first place. Why did masses of people move to my home state? Jobs and nice weather, on top of retirement. Why is the West coast going through a housing shortage? Much of the same.
edit on 27-11-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
In 2016 they acquired Jet.com to expand on the e-Commerce store front.

They are also looking to add virtual reality shopping in the future too. This means households need affordable virtual headsets... so we should be seeing a rollout of headsets in the future if this becomes the next avenue on shopping from home online. For those of you who want to hold a product in your hand b4 buying... but don't want to go to a physical Walmart store, this is the option for you. I wonder who the front runner of this is going to be when and if it successfully rolls out.

leolady

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie
a reply to: notsure1

do republicans care about poor people?

based on the OP, republicans ARE poor people. So now it looks like the left is just a bunch of rich elitists crapping on poor folk. You must be proud.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

how are rich elitist lefties crapping on poor people exactly, considering those poor people live in republican controlled states?

edit on 27-11-2018 by knoxie because: nvm

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join