It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism, we can work around it when we all try as humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This OP was a reply in another thread but I was interested in the chat with anyone affected or involved with the subject matter...

Had a lovely day working, guy paying for the job wanted me to mentor/teach his autistic son aged 16 trying to ease him into some form of work.
Big lad, strong as an ox, clearly major autistic but we bonded well and show him something once and that is exactly how it got done.
I was in 'dad mode' all day to be honest, but we had lots of laughs and he was coming out of his shell by the end of the day, even picking up banter.

When he thanked me for his day and said he enjoyed it I was really touched.
...I was sad when he said to me that people treat him differently because of his autism, but that he noticed I didn't. I told him he's part of the team, one of the boys, I don't give a # what condition you might have just can you do the job...and you did it well today lad.

I really enjoyed working with the lad today, yes he's 'different' but I found my own natural way to communicate and talk to him. It's boring working with someone who doesn't talk so I asked him 'chatty' questions and we had a laugh because he is so honest. I mostly 'mocked' myself explaining that looking silly is what all the boys on the site do sometimes, and when he knocked a bucket of water over and was stressing, I was like no worries dude, Deano put his foot through a ceiling last week so you are better than him so far haha.

I was in 'dad mode' all day as I said, but I really enjoyed it, and I'm passionate about helping this lad into the world of work now...maybe because my own son is grown up and independent then I'm looking to be 'dadlike' again, who knows.

Whatever, if this thread connects with you in any way just shout your thoughts, I think autism can be accepted if we all are accepting of people who are different. All the boys I work with are the same, he's part of the team now, we only care can you do the job...and that you are friendly lol, we don't have unfriendly people on our sites.

All thoughts welcome

edit on 26-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I’m reminded of the old saying (with my own, slight twist);

“No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help another”

I find that I seldom feel better about myself as when I’ve done something to make someone else’s life better.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I absolutely think we should treat people as equal as possible.

Growing up I managed an aquatics department at a health club. One family only wanted me to teach their child because of my experience. He was autistic. I was 17 and had no background teaching autistic kids. The first few weeks did not go well and I even offered to refund part of their payment if they did not want to move forward. The family said I showed more patience than anyone they have found and wanted to stick with it because swimming safety was important to them.

It all changed when I found out the boy loved Superman. I related EVERYTHING to superman in the pool. He loved it. He let me hold and help him. He was responsive. I went home and studied Superman just so I could have more examples. I taught him for years after that.

I think people just need to have more patience and realize there is always more than one approach. I think this rings true to not only people with autism, but all people in general.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Massively! I treated him as if he was my own son today, I love being 'old' and mentoring young people.
The guy paying for today's job (his dad) thanked me and said he'd been listening to us talking and he really appreciated it, I told him to # of with his gratitude, I'd expect him to be the same with my son, just be human, and humane.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

Cool story

Yes with the patience, mine was tested today but in a good way, and for my mate's son, win win.
His honesty is funny as #, we got on really great, maybe I'm somewhere on the spectrum myself, I really understood him and we had some deep conversations...but only if I asked the questions.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Those lads are amazing.

I recently employed a 22yo that has autism. And to be honest I hired out of guilt. And now I feel really crappy about that. He is by far the best employee I have. By a long shot btw. He is very friendly and doesn’t partake in office politics unlike the others. Dude I love this kid and look forward to giving him a promotion soon.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Many thanks for your efforts and openness with him. As a father with a son on the spectrum, I certainly know that the best thing that you can do is just be yourself with them and treat them like you would anyone else.

You probably made a must more lasting impression on him that you realize. This story made my day

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou
Haha you know what I'm talking about!
He was brilliant, just needs clear concise and specific instructions about whatever needs doing, and tasks that need thinking about before you need to do them. He was brilliant today, really enjoyed teaching him, not just the job but being part of our team and feeling like he is part of it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Man, I treat all young people as if they were my own child, I expect all people to treat a child of mine the same.
My mate who paid for today's job knows this and 'delegated' his son to me because it is a different relationship compared to when he is trying to work with his lad.
I'm neutral, I swear/cuss, I'm not dad...but I was in dad mode if you know what I mean, just with a young person who is 'different' to everyone else...I'm passionate about mentoring him as my mate wants....I like the lad for a start, his autism is funny at times and I told him so like I would any mate I was working with. The honesty is brutal as #, I love it.
edit on 26-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added /cuss for US readers

EDIT
Today didn't feel like work, it felt like just being dad to my mate's son.
edit on 26-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just quickly passing through, but will be back, I just wanted to say that as someone on the spectrum, and the father of a 16 year old lad on the spectrum, I just wanted to say thank you.

It's great to see society coming around and beginning to understand. I was ostracised as a child because of it, I'm happy for my Son and others on the spectrum that now there is some support and understanding.

My lad recently completed 2 weeks work experience at Jersey Airport as an apprentice aircraft technician, and the guys he worked with treated him in the exact same way you described your approach today, the were great with him.

Oddly enough, my lad is a tank too, he towers over me (in fact, both of my boys do, lol)

I'll be back later or tomorrow, all the best for now guys

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity
Mate, he was shifting rubble sacks into the truck at the end of the day and I asked him "Can you put that one further back because you are stronger than me and I'm struggling to lift it" lol
He's part of the team and all the boys are the same...we're teaching him site banter and who to say certain things to taking the piss....lazy smoking Pete is one (another story lol) but autism rocks, same same people just different.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Lol...Autism is working around US....lol..it is Mother nature returning telepathy to humans ...Nature always wins.

top topics

join