It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM is shutting plants and slashing staff

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It doesn't help that newer GM vehicles are pretty bland and safe looking. Outside the Cadillac IMO. When you compare them to say Ford, Nissan or Toyota sedan models. Not to mention the power aspects.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Yep. Not fun.

All the mfgrs have issues, it's turning into picking the ones you can deal with.

I hate going back to old models, but am leaning that way.

This computer crap has really wrecked(pun intended) the new cars in the US.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It is hard to compete with the rest of the world. Nissan opens a plant in Texas and pays workers 20ish per hour and has 10,000 more people applying than needed. When we look at the auto industry of old there reaches a point that employees become too expensive. I think pay scales are somewhat inline today, but cost is hard to over come 50 years of build up.

edit on 26-11-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
It is hard to compete with the rest of the world. Nissan opens a plant in Texas and pays workers 20ish per hour and has 10,000 more people applying than needed. When we look at the auto industry of old there reaches a point that employees become too expensive. I think pay scales are somewhat inline today, but cost is hard to over come 50 years of build up.

Agree

In an economy where everyone wants to make more money, prices have to go up to cover the increase in wage so in the end it is illusion that you make more money....unless you make a huge wage jump.

Vehicles are way to expensive today. $40k for a new truck.....wow.
edit on 26-11-2018 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Yes your right as far as the working people are concerned its about working, and getting paid for it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

An Obvious Sign that GM Cars and Truck Designs can longer Compete with the World Market in Automobiles . If they go the way of the Dodo in the Not to Distant Future . it is their OWN Fault . and Free Enterprise Gains a New Edge on their Competitors ...............c'est la vie
edit on 26-11-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Og to Og's Boss , 10,000B.C.

Og - ( Friday , Pay Day )/// Where My M-O-N-E-Y Bee Otxh ?

Og's Boss - Here Og , take . Be On Time on Monday Or you are Fired !

Og - OK Boss ......

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

But at GM the benefits were so good when I was laid off for a whole year we got 90 percent of our salary. AND GM EVEN SENT US TO SCHOOL FOR FREE.

Maybe it's those kinds of business practices that helped put them in their current predicament... just a thought.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

Agree

In an economy where everyone wants to make more money, prices have to go up to cover the increase in wage so in the end it is illusion that you make more money....unless you make a huge wage jump.

Vehicles are way to expensive today. $40k for a new truck.....wow.

Lol 40k how about 80k..geez

GM's pension liabilities are about 40% of their overall market value. That is something they will not be able to over come.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Employee wages are only a single variable in a list of variables of business cost its not a 1 to 1 ratio

This is an old and debunked narrative

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yes, a big plant in Ontario is done, 3,000+ workers affected, + all the support business's.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

No doubt.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

No More Cheap Corvettes or Camaros . Great , My Classic ones just Went Up in Price . Chevy Trucks ? ...Piff ! GM's Time is OVER ..............(

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah, I was wrong in my earlier post. The recall is about steering pump overvoltage failure not stabilicrap. My bad.
Time to short GM. It's a problem with all 3 guys I know with GMCs.
Not good.
edit on 11 by Mandroid7 because: Typo added2

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Maybe, but it’s also a sign of a strong union and an attempt by GM to make educated employees. The school was writing and basic math courses. But GM did have benefits that paid for college

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

It sure has wrecked things! One of the best cars I ever owned, in terms of reliability, was a 97 Acura integra. That thing would never die, I drove it all year even in the snow.

Even when it had a major issue I could still get the thing to run from point A to B with some minor mechanical fixing.
edit on 26-11-2018 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is what is happening: www.brookings.edu...

So really also this is what will happen. The govt. around these countries will guarantee an income if you do not have a job. Kind of like welfare, but just a different payout. Japan is going to increase the sales tax to 10%. They say it is going to pay for the aging population. Not true, behind the scenes is that Japan will become a cashless society. When that happens the way of transportation will be controlled by the amount of money you'll be able to have. You no longer have cash. But how will this work. One example is the tourist business. You be given a credit/debit card when either entering Japan or will have to pay up front when buying your ticket. That will allow you to buy stuff in Japan. You might say, well, what about all these credit cards. It's my thought that the credit card business will go down with the driver type of car in the future. You'll no longer have credit cards. Money will be paid out by the govt. That is what a cashless society will be about. And those that don't work will be given a given amount each month.

This is the future of the developed countries. Undeveloped countries will be under the rule of "well, actually at the present time, no one knows" but they will be like countries behind cages that are feed currently with US dollars.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Mudpit overflow post edited out[/post]

You may want to re-read that and then request that a staffer edit it.

I told you to keep your p-troll garbage in the mudpit where it belongs. You should have listened.
edit on Nov 27th 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join