It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help I'm stuck in the friends zone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It's easy for you to say, but that hings happens, from aquaintance to a friend, and not from aquaintance to a girlfriend.
A lot of wise things said, but it is two way street, both sides count.

all I wanted to say is
"me, too, sun me too."
But after have read all these messages, it made me to think twice.
I had a lot of friends who were girls, but there were group, I like her very much, and find her attractive and really friends group, so I was good friend with girls who were not attractive at first, crossing over from one to another group was possible.
So, basically I haven't said nothing, and said it all.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The Friend Zone

There is no more awful place for a young man than in the friend zone. The trick to getting out of the friend zone is to not get into it in the first place. Sometimes this is easier said than done, but it's nicer than pining after someone who may or may not like you.

First, if you meet a girl you think is cute make it clear from the very start that you have plenty of friends already and you don't need any more. If you go out with her and then decide to just be friends, that's cool; but never start in the friend zone, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage right out of the gate.

For those of you who like to get to know a girl first, this is what dating is for. You will find out just as fast if you get along by dating someone as you will by being friends with them. This is actually the whole purpose of dating, to get to know someone better.

If you start to like a girl after you are already friends with her, there are only two things you can do. Say something, or don't say something. Let's explore these two options further:

Saying Something

OK, you've known this girl for a while and you've developed an attraction to her. You are going to tell her how you feel. Within the next week, not one month, not six months and most certainly not a year. Where to start? Actually spend a little time thinking about what you want to say. Lock your bedroom door and practice it to yourself a little bit. No one will ever know. It may sound dorky and embarrassing but it's not nearly as dorky and embarrassing as stuttering and going 'Ummmm, Ummm' when you finally say it. Because you are only going to say this once.

You are finally alone with the girl you like. You are not under the influence of any alcohol or narcotics at the time; there should be no easy excuses for her the next day. You spit out your blurb, and one of two things happens. Either she likes you in 'that way' or she doesn't. If she does, mission successful; if she doesn't you have two choices, still be her friend or don't. It's up to you.

If I Go There Will Be Trouble, And If I Stay It Will Be Double

If you decide to stop hanging out with her, there is nothing wrong with that. Just say 'I don't think I would feel comfortable being around you right now. Maybe we should stop hanging out for now.' She will most likely say that you should still be friends, but do not change your mind. This would set a very dangerous precedent of emotional manipulation. A nice girl, one that is worth being friends with, will understand. A girl that is not worth your time will not. You may consider being friends with the nice girl again at a later date. She may start to think of you in this way now that you have brought the subject up, given a few years. You should never be friends with the not nice girl again, to be explained in the Staying Friends section to follow.

What happens if you stay friends? There are three possibilities; she feels uncomfortable around you, she uses it to manipulate you, or she is mature enough to remain your friend with no change in attitude towards you. The last one is the least likely, but the possibility does exist. The final category is the one you may have a shot with in the future.

The Three Possibilities Explained

If she feels uncomfortable around you, the friendship will not survive. This girl is not a bad person, she feels uncomfortable because she doesn't want to lead you on or hurt your feelings. At some time in the future, you could be friends with this girl again.

If she uses it to manipulate you, and you let her, she will always leave that slight possibility that something might happen. See this for what it is and end the friendship now, before she takes you for whatever she can get. Or don't and become her personal assistant without the paycheque. This is the girl that is not worth your time. Under no circumstances should you ever be friends with her again. In her mind, you will always be that guy she can manipulate with hints of the future. She may even go so far as to interfere in future relationships you may have because she wants all of your adoration for herself. This will most likely be under the influence of alcohol, to provide a way out after she breaks you up. Then you will be right back at the beginning and she has even more control over you. Get away from this girl/woman the moment you recognize her.

If she is mature enough to be able to remain friends with you as before, with no changes in attitude, then you know you have a good friend. If this is the case, the slim possibility of a future with her exists. Over time, she may begin to look at you in other ways simply because you did bring it up. She may not have considered you this way but now the idea of it is there. The only problem with this is that when I say 'over time', I mean over several years. And you have to go out with other girls in between so she realizes she's jealous of them. Under no circumstance should you expect this outcome, if it happens it is because it is meant to. You can't make someone like you. It has to be her choice and she has to make the first move at this point. You've done already your part. If she wants to know if you still feel that way, it is up to her to ask.

Not Saying Something

This is not an option. If you do this, you will never know how she feels. You may miss out on the love of your life or you could waste years on something that may never happen. Either way, you lose.

I hope this helps you understand the intricacies of the Friend Zone.

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
im in the same dam situation as K8. i got this friend who i like a lot and want to go out wit. So i asked her to prom one day and she said yes. Prom was awesome cuz i was wit her BTW
.... we have known eachother for 3 years. i dont really know what the signs are of a chick liking you, so if someone would explain for people who dont know that would be awesome.

[edit on 25-6-2006 by Swatman]

<< 1   >>

join