It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Voters on Panel Backing Pain Pills Had Industry Ties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ten of 32 government drug advisors who last week endorsed continued marketing of the huge selling pain pills Celebrex, Bextra and Vioxx have consulted in recent years for the drugs' makers, according to disclosures in medical journals and other public records.

If the 10 advisors had not cast their votes, the committee would have voted 12 to 8 to withdraw Bextra and 14 to 8 to take Vioxx off the market.

It appears the 10 did not substantially influence the decision on Celebrex because only one member voted to withdraw Celebrex.

more info can be found at: www.nytimes.com...://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/25/politics/25fda.html

Seems like a wonderful conflict of interest. After the vote, shares of Merck and Pfizer soared. The ten members in question worked in some capacity in recent years for the drug manufacturers of the drugs mentioned as well as for Novartis which is currently applying to sell Prexige, a similar type medication to the others mentioned.

Once again, the FDA looking out for the public's welfare!! Scum bags!

[edit on 25-2-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It's a dirty and lucrative business. I wish more people would see this.

Troy

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

It's a dirty and lucrative business. I wish more people would see this.

I'm right there with you. I'm sick of seeing all the ads on TV for all these crap drugs too! The drug companies are becoming pimps and drug pushers.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This should be a huge scandal but it's not. Like Cheney's energy meetings with industry players deciding their own fate and fortune.

Do people just not understand or not care?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Do people just not understand or not care?

A lot of people live in a constant state of denial. They dont' see or want to see the big picture. Just like when someone tosses trash out their car window, they think "what's the big deal"...but of course, pollution is a huge problem but a lot of people don't see the big picture. They live in their little worlds and if it doesn't affect their immediate situation they, in their denial, pay no attention to it. They don't understand how it may affect their lives later on or the lives of generations to come.

Denial.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
If drug companies can make this kind of drug ok in these present times, then what does the future hold?

And will the drug companies try to push us to be drugged, just like kids are with Ritalin? Kids sometimes aren't given a choice, how screwed up is that?

Troy

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

If drug companies can make this kind of drug ok in these present times, then what does the future hold?

And will the drug companies try to push us to be drugged, just like kids are with Ritalin? Kids sometimes aren't given a choice, how screwed up is that?

Troy

Troy....you say "will the drug companies push us to be drugged?"...they already are. Look at all the ads on TV. My God, there's something for everything. My wife and I laughed last night, because there was an ad on for some drug that helped with incontinence, but one of the side effects was diarea? We found this amusing.....they can help keep you from pissing your pants, but you might take a chance on soiling them a different way....

I'm sick of all the drug pushing done on TV by the pimps and pushers at Merck, Pfizer, Upjohn, etc. etc. etc......Their obvious goal is to have everyone on some kind of prescribed drug or another. It's disgusting.

Are you depressed? Take a pill!
Are you impotent? Take a pill!
Are you incontinent? Take a pill!!
Are you losing your hair? Put this crap in your hair...you'll have more confidence (yeah...okay)
Do you have arthritis? Take this...
Do you have migraines? Take this......

etc. etc. etc......they are coming up with more and more every day....and some are quite dangerous, like Vioxx and Celebrex, but they managed to get approved by the FDA......(whose pockets were lined by those approvals)....DISGUSTING!!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Zabilgy,

I agree. Those commercials are amusing with the side effects. My friends and I laugh about the erection commercials. Having an 8 hour erection would be quite uncomfortable, all of your blood is sitting in your dingy.

We are being pushed completely out of common sense, and away from what has been known for years, that things like good solid nutrition can solve a lot of problems all by itself.

Troy

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

We are being pushed completely out of common sense, and away from what has been known for years, that things like good solid nutrition can solve a lot of problems all by itself.

No doubt. Like, if everyone had a decent amount of potassium in their diet eveyday, they would feel incredibly better. Another thread here mentioned that probably 90 percent or more of us are potassium deficient and it causes lots of health problems. I looked at the vitamins I take and they have only 3 percent of the daily allowance of potassium in them (that's if your body can even digest whatever it is that provides the potassium). So, I eat a lot of bananas!!

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There's obviously a fundamental flaw in the system, and I think it needs to be fixed. But..we knew that already. Right?

What more can a person say without being labeled a terrorist? After all, change terrifies people.

The foundation is good, it's the wretched house that's rotten. Too many termites, too many scorpions and rats and snakes in the walls. It started off as such a good idea, 'first do no harm', and now what is it? First make money.

That simply can't serve our needs. The way business is done can't stand. Accounting practices can't stand. Worker abuse, research manipulation, corporate malfeasance of all kinds; nothing gets better until all that stops.

The world is going mad. I could post a thousand links, but it would probably just piss people off more and cause more misery. Everybody should be able to see it for themselves by now. Some just haven't seen as much as others.

I have no idea what to do about the situation, and therefore I think it's reasonable to assume the problem will fix itself. Tens of millions of people are disconnected, off the grid, in the tall grass, silent in the city, amongst the crowd and alone in the woods. They don't control enough of us anymore to make their machine work. LOL It's on its back and kicking at the air, just sit back and watch the show. That's my advice.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
At least some of us at least see what is happening.

It's better than a totally drugged up world, where everyone is standing in line to get their "fix."

Troy

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

It's better than a totally drugged up world, where everyone is standing in line to get their "fix."

Scary, but that could be the world of the future. The government handing out pills to the masses that make them not notice how much the world sucks. Hmmmm...sounds a lot like the MATRIX!!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

Troy

Can you say Brave New World?
I think a few smart individuals have seen this coming for a long time now. One day it might be wierd to be in a normal mind state, I hope that won't happend.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There was actually a pretty good movie on the Sci Fi Channel about masses of people taking a drug. A large part of the population was hooked on this stuff, and it was dispensed legally. The odd thing was I think it was called Soma in the movie and I think Soma is a real drug.

Troy

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Soma is a real drug...it's a muscle relaxer....and very addictive.

I get a kick out of the scene in Fight Club where Brad Pitt explains how oxygen is given to people on planes about to crash because it makes them high so they won't panic before the crash.....

But it's true, pure oxygen can get you high!!

Anyway, a fully drugged public would be loved by the NWO!!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
A drugged public would definitely be of interest to a suppressive group or leader. Easy to controll.

Troy

top topics

join