It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Grit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Learn something new every day.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

What's your opinion of Crocodile Dundee?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I can't recall the name of a Japanese western movie of the 60's filmed entirely in Australia. I saw it in Black and White as a kid.

The plot was basically a Japanese family living out west. The accents were dubbed with southern slang, like "Mah and Pah."

Ma and Pa were murdered/shot I think and the son gets himself an "iron" and practices with it by tossing a coin in the air and shooting the coin. Well, here was the revelation for me as a kid. The coin was an Australian 2 shilling coin (or 2 bob coin). The trees were all aussie gum trees. Much as I can remember. I'd watch it again just for the nostalgia and a chuckle.

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 25-11-2018 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I liked the 1st movie, original. I worked in the Northern Territory for many years and am familiar with the real character nicknamed Dundee. He shot and murdered a policeman using a high powered rifle and shot innocents. Killed next to the Stuart Highway by another brave policeman moving towards him unloading a pump action towards the fellow. Guess that's wild west.

The sequel movies were a bit corny to me and the special effects were poor.

Dundee is a beach and fishing location near Darwin. (I have an original painting of the beach in a storm hanging on my wall)

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I'll bet Australia was WILD in the 1800's Wide open and wild.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

I didn't mind the remake at all. I found Bridge's voice a bit hard to take but then you have Wayne's "Wagons Hoe."

I would like to see a remake of my favorite western, the Sam Peckinpah movie "The Wild Bunch". Would take some good actors to emulate that film.

Kind regards,

Bally

They, who the hell is they ? The Wild Bunch was damn near perfect as it is, think any remake will fall far short like the unspectacular remake of the Magnificent Seven. One reason the size of the cast. Both were chocked full of Hollywood legends in their prime. I was skeptical on True Grit, knew Bridges had the chops, the key to me was Haley Stanfield played her part to perfection, Bridges took Rooster to a new and grittier level. Even Matt Damon was okay. Wasnt crazy about Brolin or Pepper's roles, but they were also facing stiff competition, Duvall was just plan nasty in the original.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Yeah, I suppose it was in the bush and outback. There are accounts of massacres, shootouts, bank and stagecoach robberies. I've read a lot. The accounts of "The Rum Rebellion", "Eureka Stockade" "The attack on Bersheeba Wells" and the short movie about the "Conniston Massacre" are good accurate stories.

I still kinda enjoy the westerns with saloon bars, wagon trains and dare I say cowboys and indians, Alamo, Wild Bill etc.

I guess it comes from a kid of the 60's and black and white TV. The family sat down after dinner and watched western or war movie together (Rifleman, with Chuck Connors was a must haha and Bonanza).

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

"THEY! Who the hell is they?" one of my fav lines or "If they move, KILL EM." I first saw that film at the "Drive In" with my dad. Later I took my mum into Melbourne a saw "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean."

I'm glad mum saw some of the humor and later recounted it to my dad who had a chuckle but for her it was a real wild west movie. Mum, "The man tried to pull his gun out from his pants and shot his penis!"

haha,

Kind regards and enjoying this,

Bally

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   

What's your take on Silverado"?

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Bruce Willis in Last man standing was pretty good if I remember
Not better but I thought it was ok

h2g2.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: putnam6

"THEY! Who the hell is they?" one of my fav lines or "If they move, KILL EM." I first saw that film at the "Drive In" with my dad. Later I took my mum into Melbourne a saw "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean."

I'm glad mum saw some of the humor and later recounted it to my dad who had a chuckle but for her it was a real wild west movie. Mum, "The man tried to pull his gun out from his pants and shot his penis!"

haha,

Kind regards and enjoying this,

Bally

Yea thats another one of them old school westerns, damn near like any movie Paul Newman was in, Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch just still stands the test of time, no doubt saw it initially as a double feature at the drive in with my parents but, we had in on VCR and CD and would watch it every time time it was on TV. Dad always liked Bo Hopkins Ill hold em till hell freezes over or till you say different. You just knew from the opening sequence with the kids and the scorpion and ants this wasnt gonna be a pretty boy western.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

It's really hard to think of any movie that improved as a remake. There are hardly any at all which doesn't seem to stop the endless lazyass conveyor belt of 'reboots' and ripoffs.

Pacino's Scarface was humungously better than the 1932 original. Coppola's Dracula had a bunch of problems and was still way better than others. It was the first time Drac was presented as really evil instead of the hammy, camped up gentleman he was in most movies.

That brings me to Sherlock Holmes which has been done well by the Cumberbach TV series and by Downey Jr. I'm a big fan of the b&w Rathbone movies, but find the recent ones more entertaining.

A bit of a cheat is A Fist Full of Dollars which was a remake of a Japanese film that I haven't seen. How good would the original need to be to beat Clint in his prime?! There's no way is there? Here's his famous quote from Fist Full of Dollars...

Last but not least are the zombie movies. Let's face it, there are dozens and about two plots between them. Oh yeah, some Zombies run and some stumble slowly. 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Wyrmwood are great.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I think the newer version staring Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon was one of the few remakes throughout the years that was actually better than the original movie.

Absolutely agree , I'm a big John Wayne fan and have seen True Grit and Rooster Cogburn more times than I can remember so when I decided to watch the remake I was expecting to hate it but found the film exceeded my expectation.

Jeff Bridges portrayal of Rooster was brilliant and the film had more grit than the original, the Coen brothers done good.

John Wayne is still the man though.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

the Coen brothers done good.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's really hard to think of any movie that improved as a remake. There are hardly any at all which doesn't seem to stop the endless lazyass conveyor belt of 'reboots' and ripoffs.

Pacino's Scarface was humungously better than the 1932 original. Coppola's Dracula had a bunch of problems and was still way better than others. It was the first time Drac was presented as really evil instead of the hammy, camped up gentleman he was in most movies.

That brings me to Sherlock Holmes which has been done well by the Cumberbach TV series and by Downey Jr. I'm a big fan of the b&w Rathbone movies, but find the recent ones more entertaining.

A bit of a cheat is A Fist Full of Dollars which was a remake of a Japanese film that I haven't seen. How good would the original need to be to beat Clint in his prime?! There's no way is there? Here's his famous quote from Fist Full of Dollars...

Last but not least are the zombie movies. Let's face it, there are dozens and about two plots between them. Oh yeah, some Zombies run and some stumble slowly. 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Wyrmwood are great.

Surely you jest... that quote is from Dirty Harry in 1970's San Francisco or did I miss the joke..

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I try not to. Watched it one time. No authenticity, mediocre acting and just armature direction. It was on last night and as usual, I turned off of it.
Didn't care for El Dorado, The War Wagon and Rio Bravo either.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No worries, just put it out there. I found the sets on that movie very poor kinda like it was made on the cheap.

regards,

bally

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Mate we grew up on that stuff !

Gunsmoke

Bonanza

The Rifleman

The Phantom Agents 😉

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link