It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Donald Tusk tells European Union to approve deal

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I'll give you another word *Priorities*

Sometimes watch a TV programme about debt collectors.... they go to

houses who havent paid rent for over six months to collect, and the

tennants cant pay ...... but three rooms have the super large (62inch)?

TV's in them.

So I'll just repeat *priorities*

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
Yes priorities

Honestly I saw it all in CAB, stupid spending decisions were the overwhelming reason for people struggling with debt.
People with benefit sanctions etc were the tiny minority. Too many members here believe what their mates say and never see their current accounts to determine if they are making sensible choices.
The bank account statement never ever lies, and I got sick of helping people who had only themselves to blame...it was almost a relief to be made redundant with the austerity cuts.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I'm more concerned with the Tory politicians and banker scums "stupid life choices" rather than the average Joes as they can kind of have somewhat of a knock on effect on everyone to put it mildly.

Debt is the reason we are in the mess that we are but what can you do when your whole financial system and the institutions which operate within said system don't just encourage such but rely on the ideology to exist?

People create debt the same way they create monies, that being completely out of thin air.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I dont think there is any quite possibly about Brexit any longer, far as im aware is definitely in the post to one degree or another.

The world is full of hypocrisy i suppose but its also full of poor, hungry, needy, people and the divide between the haves and the have not is only getting bigger as the days go by.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
People borrow money for # they don't 'need' they simply 'want' it.
We'll never find agreement. That socio-economic group of 'stupid spending decisions' are the overwhelming majority of debt cases dealt with by the CAB. Anecdotal yes, but I know it so if you think differently we'll just have to be cool fella and move to some other issue on topic preferably lol

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You won't find me disagreeing with on the state of the word and the fact there are have's and have not's. However, while there are extremes in the UK it ain't that bad when compared elsewhere. China, Russia and most other developing nations have greater extremes of income inequality. While the UK may have flaws in welfare, no one actually starves and everyone can get a roof over their heads.

In the UK people with high incomes are not all tax dodgers, but they do contribute disproportionately to the tax income - for example the top 1% of earners contribute 27% of the tax take, while the top 50% pay 90% of taxes. In other words, 50% the population contribute sod all to the running of the country and benefit from those who do.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's not that i completely discount your train of thought, but there simply is not any middle ground any longer.

The whole socioeconomic situation is like quicksand, one wrong move and you're sunk.

Where is the social safety nets we are supposed to have in place?

They are simply disappearing or not being utilized and/or made available to the very people they are supposed to be there to protect.

Stupid spending equates to the likes of Trident or £15 million quid Margaret Thatcher memorial museums.

Stupid spending seems to be the colour of the day imho, hardly the domain of the poor neither.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

You won't find me disagreeing with on the state of the word and the fact there are have's and have not's. However, while there are extremes in the UK it ain't that bad when compared elsewhere. China, Russia and most other developing nations have greater extremes of income inequality. While the UK may have flaws in welfare, no one actually starves and everyone can get a roof over their heads.

In the UK people with high incomes are not all tax dodgers, but they do contribute disproportionately to the tax income - for example the top 1% of earners contribute 27% of the tax take, while the top 50% pay 90% of taxes. In other words, 50% the population contribute sod all to the running of the country and benefit from those who do.

Those figures are for income tax alone which makes up less than a quarter of overall taxation.

The fact that such a small % of people pay such a high % of income tax is however a disgrace. Not because it shows high earners are overtaxed but because it shows how bad income inequality has become.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
We're piss poor for half the year here when there are no tourists lol, we budget our money, we have to.
I've been a lazy twat this summer so now it's winter I'm thinking what a knob, that'll learn me haha.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I will also testify to this. One of my siblings is a housing manager for a council. Most of the serious council rent arrears in their location are at the addresses with a couple of cars on the drive, at least three 50 inch plus smart tvs and a perma tan from the 2 to 3 foreign holidays a year. Not to mention the Sky subscription, etc. These are the houses that are at least several thousand in rent arrears on SUBSIDISED housing. They then bleat about how they have a right to all these things and how can you possibly try to evict them.

It is because of a holes like these that the genuinely needy slip through the cracks amd don't get the help they need. If it was up to me, id start jailing them all until the message sinks on that they are responsible for their actions and that no, the world doesnt owe them.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I imagine the percentage will only increase as technology and automation only makes the necessity for human workers redundant as the days go by.

Such is the curse of all first world nations and the information age in which we now live.

Which is why things have to change, we all the know the real problem, that being the disproportionate manner in which power and monies is spread amongst or respective populations.

1%ers don't help matters if you ask me, in fact "They" are one of the main reasons we are in the mess that we currently are.
edit on 27-11-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Naw your thinking, crap here comes Christmas i need money per-chance?

Then there is gas and lekky to consider there not cheap in summer never mind winter.

Everyone is a twat in the summertime mate, personally, i blame the Sun. LoL

Rinse and repeat next year i imagine as we refuse to learn.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Haha yes mate!!
...not worried about Brexit, not much will change here, just EU mates will have to fill some form in or whatever lol
Our EU mates are safe, and future workers will be welcomed because we need them...may just be other countries after Brexit, like India.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I'm more concerned with the Tory politicians and banker scums "stupid life choices" rather than the average Joes as they can kind of have somewhat of a knock on effect on everyone to put it mildly.

Lol!! I'm always amazed by people like you ( my grand daughters father was a

Scot and he too was always moaning like the Scots on here, but lived in England

and wouldn't return to Scotland) Everything was everyone elses fault, the bankers

the Tories scum on and on and on.

Have you never wondered about there being rich labour MP's

Rich List

Seven of the top twenty are Labour.

Lord Sainsbury worth £400m (#3)

Labour peer and ex-minister, though previously in the SDP. His fortune is mainly (£350m) in shares in the family supermarket business. He was a big donor to the Labour Party under Brown, but now channels his money into Progress.

Lord Grantchester worth £80m (#9)

Labour peer. Inherited much of the Littlewoods football pools and retailing fortune. He owns extensive property in Cheshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Westminster, Yorkshire and Dallas, Texas.

Lord Drayson worth £75m (#10=)

Labour peer and ex-minister. Made his fortune in pharmaceuticals. Since losing his ministerial post (defence procurement), in 2010, he has immersed himself in motor sports.

Tony Blair worth £30m (#14)

Ex Labour prime minister. Has made his fortune more quickly than the rest, from dispensing advice to companies, sovereign wealth funds and governments (including Kuwait and Kazakhstan), and employs about 150 staff at his Mayfair HQ. He can earn up to £200,000 for making a speech to top up his £70,000 prime ministerial pension and pay the running costs of his valuable property portfolio.

Margaret Hodge worth £18m (#15)

Labour MP, former minister and currently a select committee chair. Her fortune isn largely her inherited stake in the steel trading company founded by her German Jewish refugee father, Hans Oppenheimer.

Shaun Woodward worth £15m (#16)

One-time Tory turned Labour MP and cabinet minister. What the Times treat as his wealth is really his wife’s inheritance (she’s another Sainsbury, her father being ex-Tory MP, Tim Sainsbury) topped up by some astute moves in the property market, having recently sold homes in St James’s and New York for £5.7m and £11.5m respectively, leaving them with just six properties (in the Alps, Mustique, the south of France, Cirencester, a London flat and St Helens – the constituency).

Geoffrey Robinson worth £10m (#17=)

Former Paymaster General and still a Labour MP. Former CEO of Jaguar cars and still a non-executive director of Paiton Engineering. His fortune is not really derived from his buisness interests many of which the Times describes as failures although he, no doubt, never expected to make anything out of either the New Statesman or Coventry FC, nor from the £373,000 loan to Peter Mandelson which cost him his ministerial career. He inherited £12m from Belgian entrepreneur, Joska Bourgeois, which is what enables him to own 168 acres in Tuscany, a Park Lane penthouse and “one of Surrey’s finest houses” – a Lutyens mansion in 50 acres.

www.leftfutures.org...

Oh and Jeremy Corbyn is worth a cool 3 million.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: andy06shake

Lol!! I'm always amazed by people like you ( my grand daughters father was a

Scot and he too was always moaning like the Scots on here, but lived in England

and wouldn't return to Scotland) Everything was everyone elses fault, the bankers

the Tories scum on and on and on.

Have you never wondered about there being rich labour MP's

Rich List

Seven of the top twenty are Labour.

Lord Sainsbury worth £400m (#3)

Labour peer and ex-minister, though previously in the SDP. His fortune is mainly (£350m) in shares in the family supermarket business. He was a big donor to the Labour Party under Brown, but now channels his money into Progress.

Lord Grantchester worth £80m (#9)

Labour peer. Inherited much of the Littlewoods football pools and retailing fortune. He owns extensive property in Cheshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Westminster, Yorkshire and Dallas, Texas.

Lord Drayson worth £75m (#10=)

Labour peer and ex-minister. Made his fortune in pharmaceuticals. Since losing his ministerial post (defence procurement), in 2010, he has immersed himself in motor sports.

Tony Blair worth £30m (#14)

Ex Labour prime minister. Has made his fortune more quickly than the rest, from dispensing advice to companies, sovereign wealth funds and governments (including Kuwait and Kazakhstan), and employs about 150 staff at his Mayfair HQ. He can earn up to £200,000 for making a speech to top up his £70,000 prime ministerial pension and pay the running costs of his valuable property portfolio.

Margaret Hodge worth £18m (#15)

Labour MP, former minister and currently a select committee chair. Her fortune isn largely her inherited stake in the steel trading company founded by her German Jewish refugee father, Hans Oppenheimer.

Shaun Woodward worth £15m (#16)

One-time Tory turned Labour MP and cabinet minister. What the Times treat as his wealth is really his wife’s inheritance (she’s another Sainsbury, her father being ex-Tory MP, Tim Sainsbury) topped up by some astute moves in the property market, having recently sold homes in St James’s and New York for £5.7m and £11.5m respectively, leaving them with just six properties (in the Alps, Mustique, the south of France, Cirencester, a London flat and St Helens – the constituency).

Geoffrey Robinson worth £10m (#17=)

Former Paymaster General and still a Labour MP. Former CEO of Jaguar cars and still a non-executive director of Paiton Engineering. His fortune is not really derived from his buisness interests many of which the Times describes as failures although he, no doubt, never expected to make anything out of either the New Statesman or Coventry FC, nor from the £373,000 loan to Peter Mandelson which cost him his ministerial career. He inherited £12m from Belgian entrepreneur, Joska Bourgeois, which is what enables him to own 168 acres in Tuscany, a Park Lane penthouse and “one of Surrey’s finest houses” – a Lutyens mansion in 50 acres.

www.leftfutures.org...

Oh and Jeremy Corbyn is worth a cool 3 million.

Why shouldn't there be rich labour MPs?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Those figures are for income tax alone which makes up less than a quarter of overall taxation.

Yes true, but the proportion remains true for VAT and NI. Anyway, never said high earners are overtaxed, but they do pay a positive into the tax pot. That's not a problem, but it is a fact.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Yes true, but the proportion remains true for VAT and NI. Anyway, never said high earners are overtaxed, but they do pay a positive into the tax pot. That's not a problem, but it is a fact.

I don't believe there are definitive figures for overall taxation v income, but since income tax is by.some distance the most progressive tax it is pretty unlikely the proportions don't remain consistent.

As I said I do think it's a problem ss its a disgrace that so few people earn enough to pay income tax.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

As I said I do think it's a problem ss its a disgrace that so few people earn enough to pay income tax.

Eh? You pay income tax on earnings over£11850 per annum (going up next year). I don't know any adults that earn less than that?

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
Yet still you bleat like a lost lamb on the hill.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join