It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russians Are Going To Verify That The Moon Landing Was Real

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think I could make a pretty credible argument which says we went to the Moon alright. Whether humans actually 'landed' on the Moon is arguably debatable. I think we did (put people on the Moon), but there's no absolute proof of it. Sure, mankind has put stuff on the Moon, but in 50 years no one has been back.

Why? Certainly not because we didn't go there, that much is certain. We did. But why hasn't man been back to the Moon, and why did it take 50 years to regain any serious interest in returning to the Moon? There should be rapid transit buses traveling back and forth to the Moon on regularly scheduled trips by now. There should be tourist destinations on the Moon by now. There should be 7-11's on the Moon by now. ...Where are they?

What has everyone been doing...just sleeping?

These are the really hard questions.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yes, dead serious.

MRI scanners didn't change entire cultures, change how business was done, change how people interacted with each other, change how entire generations were raised. Sure, MRI is fantastic technology, but it's just a different method of imaging which X-ray technology had been doing for decades before.

You're an argumentative one with me for some reason, and I'm not going to waste a lot of time with you on this, but yes. And, that wasn't the point anyway, so you're (ahem) off topic! The point was, and is, the technological leap of MRI scanners is nothing compared to man going to the Moon in 1969, just 8 years after the first human space flight.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

change how business was done, change how people interacted with each other, change how entire generations were raised

And you think that is more important than something that actually helps saves lives?

Oh dear.

it's just a different method of imaging which X-ray technology had been doing for decades before.

Just like Cell Phones then, which was an advance on Radio Telephones.
edit on 25-11-2018 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Once again...you're missing the point!

You don't like that answer; pick one of your choosing then. Anything. Pick a technological advancement which rivals that of the advancements it took to get from JFK's speech in 1962 to landing a man on the Moon just 7 years later in 1969. Anything...in the last 50 years.

I'll wait.

ETA - BTW...I HATE cell phones! If they disappeared tomorrow I would be one of the happiest people on the planet!

ETA2 - And no, I'm not even remotely suggesting the cell phone rivaled that achievement. What I'm doing is pointing out the LACK of significant leaps forward since the Apollo missions. The cell phone is just an example.

edit on 11/25/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

7 Years ?

Tim Berners-Lee conceived The World Wide Web in 2- 3 years.

Next question.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So you think the WWW rivals man landing on another planet for the first time???

Really?

Game over.

Thanks for playing.

edit on 11/25/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

So you think the WWW rivals man landing on another planet???

Really?

Game over.

Thanks for playing.

Running away because you didn't like the answer.

Typical.

We are only communicating with each other because of the World Wide Web don't you know?

Ta Ta

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Here's an interesting thing to ponder about manned spaceflight...

In 1969 it took about 3 days to reach the Moon from Earth. The distance is nominally 252,000 miles (it varies).

In the 50 years since we've been to the Moon mankind has yet to develop a spacecraft which can travel appreciably faster than Apollo did. Yes, some of the probes like Voyager have accelerated themselves to greater speeds using the gravitational pull of other planets like a slingshot, but still they are only traveling in the tens of thousands of miles per hour.

For 50 years we've heard stories about travel at velocities approaching the speed of light, and how it's likely possible. No one has done it yet, but they say it might be possible. Fifty years!

Now, let's look at the Moon shot a little more carefully. The trip to the Moon took 3 days, that's 72 hours or 4,320 minutes. 4,320 minutes equals 259,200 seconds. So in 1960's technology it took 259,000 seconds to travel to the Moon.

Traveling at the speed of light, this journey would take just under one and one half SECONDS! (we won't get into the slowing down part).

And today, 50 years later, if we were able to launch a mission to the Moon it would take...still 3 days.

People talk about progress, about how humans are ingenious beyond description. What's the single greatest technological invention of the human race in those 50 years? The cell phone. What major disease has been cured in the last 50 years? Nothing. Wars still exist, famine still exists, cancer still exists.

Whether mankind actually landed on the Moon in 1969, or if they just went there, isn't really the question. I'm not even sure it's even relevant anymore. What we should really be asking ourselves is why the hell are we not significantly more advanced then what we are??? Look at how many technological leaps happened in the 50 years that preceded 1969, there were tons of them (nuclear power/weapons, disease, etc.), but since 1969? Well, we got...the cell phone...woo-hoo.

Fifty years!

Yep.

I personally think humans are good in general, but it doesn't mean we're very "bright".

By default, the average homosapiens sapien is actually pretty stupid.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

No, not running away, just staying "on topic"...unlike yourself.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Hardly a match for going to the Moon.

Many of the advancements that allowed the invention/creation of the WWW were due in no small part to the processes begun by the Moon mission work.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well lets all play silly buggers then.

The Soviet Union put a man into space before Kennedy said " Lets Go To The Moon "

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Because little has gone into space flight because there was no reason to.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I worry we in the West are living in one of the most anti-intellectual time periods since the 16th Century. Some behave like they think Pol Pot and Mao had the right idea.

Authoritarians thrive because of this. Anti-intellectualism and general, all around multi-purpose confusion. Anyone that can provide any kind of order begins to look pretty good

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

There are no fools like old fools, huh? It's like we're entering the 'interesting times' of the apocryphal Chinese curse.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Yes, we have the ipads from Star Trek but nothing close to their space type vehicles.

The tech curve should have us developing an advanced type of space engine by now, oh well Sci-fi lore says we have until 2063 to get it.....our time lines Zefrem Cochrane should already be born by now.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes :-)

It's a little hard to take - entering the dark ages for the umpteenth time. On purpose

But, you know what? I don't think this is all inevitable. Reason can prevail

Fingers crossed

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

The tech curve should have us developing an advanced type of space engine by now

Some people believe that they are already available.

Recovered from crashed ET Spacecraft.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
In the very good Sci fi movie Interstellar a girl got a line that goes " we don't teach that anymore to kids, the .U.S invented the race to the moon to bankrupt the soviet union". I thought it was a clever look at things perhaps not far from the truth.
If anyone is seriously interested on the topic, have a look at the Howard/ Nixon thread here

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Yes, we have the ipads from Star Trek

I think Arthur C. Clarke predicted those.

When [Floyd] had tired of official reports, memoranda and minutes, he would plug his foolscap-sized Newspad into the ship’s information circuit and scan the latest reports from Earth. One by one, he would conjure up the world’s major electronic papers. He knew the codes of the more important ones by heart and had no need to consult the list on the back of his pad. Switching to the display’s short-term memory, he would hold the front page while he searched the headlines and noted the items that interested him.

Each had its own two-digit reference. When he punched that, a postage-sized rectangle would expand till it neatly filled the screen and he could read it with comfort. When he finished he could flash back to the complete page and select a new subject for detailed examination

www.brainpickings.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Interesting final paragraph.

"Earlier in November, Mr Rogozin revealed plans to start building a base on the moon after 2025, with the project exceeding the US Apollo programme of the 1960s and 1970s in terms of scale. The programme will put its first humans on the moon by 2030 or 2031.
"

They mean the Russian program's first humans, hence the phrase "its first humans", not "the first humans".

edit on 25/11/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join